Back to Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1" is aimed at learners who are seeking to augment, expand, optimize, and increase the efficiency of their Excel spreadsheet skills by tapping into the powerful programming, automation, and customization capabilities available with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). This course is the first part of a three-part series and Specialization that focuses on the application of computing techniques in Excel/VBA to solve problems. In this course (Part 1), you will: 1) create macros to automate procedures in Excel; 2) define your own user-defined functions; 3) create basic subroutines to interface with the user; 4) learn the basic programming structures in VBA; and 5) automate Excel’s Goal Seek and Solver tools and use numerical techniques to create “live solutions” to solve targeting and optimization problems. New to computer programming? The extremely intuitive and visual nature of VBA lends itself nicely to teaching and learning - what a fun way to learn to code! No prior knowledge in programming nor advanced math skills are necessary yet seasoned programmers will pick up new and creative spreadsheet problem solving strategies. After you have learned the basics of VBA, each module will introduce foundational and broad problems inspired by situations that you might encounter in the real world. To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MS
Jan 26, 2018

Great course! I like it goes straight to implementation and is practice-oriented. What could be improved maybe is sound quality of lectures. And maybe it would be great to have some VBA notes in pdf.

JH
Apr 2, 2020

Very good course with clear examples throughout to help you develop. The online format of the course is great as it allows you to pause and work through the activities presented at your own speed.

76 - 100 of 863 Reviews for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

By Tony M

Dec 21, 2020

Couse content is clear and exactly what I needed, as the description promised.

My only quibble is the audio quality. Each video seems to be at widely divergent sound levels, so I adjust the volume for each module. Worse, the instructor seems to be tapping the mic or the nearby desk causing a series of random, jarring thumps.

By Parambir S

Jan 10, 2020

The only difficulty I faced in the course was small error correction in the assignments as with very little practise you tend to make mistakes which are difficult to correct with instructions from the grade/default instructions. Nonetheless, it felt great completing this first part! Looking forward to the remaining course!

By Pemika M

Jul 25, 2019

The instructor can explain clearly step-by-step and visualize in his videos perfectly. I got a lot knowledge of VBA from this course and it works for me as it starts from basic. The lecturer also provide some useful tricks and know how to create quizzes that can make learners have to think about it again. Highly recommend!

By Jason J

Jun 6, 2018

Great overview of the capabilities of VBA with Excel. It is clear the professor spent a great amount of time in putting together the lecture videos - both in laying out the flow of the class as well as editing the videos to aid in comprehension. I appreciate his effort as it really aids in understanding the material.

By Olaf P

Nov 14, 2020

Excellent course to learn Excel VBA. The content is very well explained and structured. I can recommend the course to everybody who wants to get into VBA. The course has a focus on solving practical non-linear mathematical problems in Excel, but is also a good foundation to just develop a better understanding of VBA.

By Brittany M

Feb 13, 2021

My VBA knowledge was very rusty. This was a fantastic refresher (I had forgotten so much!) The class is interactive with quizzes in the videos, homework, and end of week quizzes. I really enjoyed the homework and thought the grading was really neat. I recommend this to anyone who wants to use Excel more efficiently.

By David F

Sep 28, 2018

Hi everyone, I'm from Colombia this course I really enjoy. at the beginning I don't have any idea about VBA but after 4 weeks I've learned a lot with practice and the guide for the teacher Charles. in my opinion the screencast are easy to understand and the explanations for the teacher are clear and professional

By David T

Jun 24, 2020

Very well done course. Instructional material is perfectly paced. Videos are very clear and precise. Course prepares you well for the assignments and quizzes. I knew a lot about Excel when I started this course, but now I realize I am just a beginner...and I'm eager to learn more. Really good course. Thank you.

By Katherine C

Apr 27, 2020

The instructor gave thorough explanations and took care to make sure that even true programming beginners could follow along and replicate the lessons to solve problems.

I would highly recommend this course to anyone looking to get more out of Excel and in particular utilizing user-made functions and automation.

By MATTHEW J B V

Jan 2, 2021

El curso te enseña desde lo básico del Excel VBA (definir variables, conceptos de subrutinas y funciones, comandos más usados en VBA, etc.), y luego a partir de esa base se empieza a resolver problemas cotidianos. Muy didáctico, las tareas tienen un buen grado de dificultad. Recomiendo el curso completamente.

By Kenneth D C

Apr 30, 2018

Excellent course to build a strong VBA foundation. The professor was very knowledgeable and responsive. A word of warning, the examples are heavily weighted towards math so be prepared to get a refresher on some Calculus concepts you may have forgotten. Stick with it and use the Discussion Board regularly!

By Деля Ю

Jul 11, 2020

As a complete beginner in VBA I was able to build a strong foundation in VBA and start to use it for advanced problems in financial analysis. The course is conсise but very informative. Quizzes and assignments are challenging but very interesting and helpful in learning. I'd definitely recommend this course.

By Olivier S M

Ayant un background ingénieur, j'ai déjà été exposé au code sans jamais vraiment réussir à faire tourner les algorithmes… Ce cours est parfait pour désacraliser le code (VBA du moins), briser la glace avec celui-ci et assurer une base solide pour l'approfondissement! Excellent investissement, merci beaucoup!

By BHAGAVATHI R

Jul 1, 2018

Highly recommended for everyone who want to start programming, be it for professional reasons or just for the sake of learning. The assignments are optimally designed making it both fun and challenging. Take this course as introduction to programming as Excel/VBA is a very interactive and fun place to start.

By Anthony S

Aug 20, 2018

Really good course. There are times where it can be frustrating but if you are taking notes and review the course material it will make sense. I'm quite happy I took the time to take this class. And I feel that the skills the I learned here will help me in my career. I'm looking forward to part II.

By Ran X

Apr 28, 2020

I love this instructor! He sounds so passionate about teaching things he knows in all of the screen-casts, and I actually learned a little bit of VBA during my undergrad, but this course is a whole system laying in front of you. Would 100% recommend to everybody who's trying to learn anything about VBA.

By Han D

Oct 26, 2018

This course is great for those who want to pick up skills in Excel VBA. It is very informative and explained well by the instructor. Even though the whole course is more focused on the mathematical problem solving, I can still relate the content to my business working environment. Highly recommended.

By Irina K

Oct 1, 2018

I enjoyed the course. The material explained is quite easy to understand and the tasks are interesting and challenging. The instuctor is very helpful and answers most of the questions via discussion forums and sometimes even email. I believe this specialization will be very useful for me in the future.

By KUA M S

The instructor Professor Charlie Nuttelman is amazing. His explanation is clear and his voice's tone is modulated which makes students feel comfortable to watch the series of tutorials. The assignments and quizzes given is not so spoon

-feeding. You have to brainstorm a bit to get the correct answer.

By Dayanand

Feb 8, 2021

Great Course! All the Modules are well explained and the 'by doing' approach for solving problems was very helpful in getting hands-on with the concept. I found solving grading assignments very interesting and also helpful. I would totally recommend this course.

Thank you Prof. Charlie Nuttelman :)

By Fabio B C

Nov 10, 2019

This course was the best to introduce VBA in my currently routine. The teacher is very excellent explaining since the theory to application. You will learn to do a lot of things with basics commands and I certainly will use this in my sheets. Congratulations, now I'm goingo to Part 2. Thanks a lot!

By Craig P

Jan 28, 2018

The course gave me everything that I was expecting and needed to get me on the road to VBA programming. I also learned some advanced Excel tricks that will be very useful, plus some mathematical iterative optimisation methods that I had long forgotten. I have signed on to the next course (VBA pt2)

By Bernard K

Apr 22, 2020

The course is the best entry into programming world, instructor is very responsive whenever you face a challenge on any course material. I would recommend the course to anyone who want to automate some of the repetitive excel tasks and to later advance into a more advanced programming language

By Mikhail L

The course starts from the basic concepts of the programming, and on the week five you can learn how to solve iterations in Excel using VBA. Even before finishing course, I already started to use VBA in my daily work routine. It helped me to save time and made me free from some routine tasks

By Martin V M

Mar 25, 2020

Great course in order to begin with VBA. Although, it contains some math problems related with engineer stuff, it's not hard to follow since the theory is well explained and the complexity is not too high. Also, it's interesting to see a different approach to Excel/VBA from other carreers.