Back to Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1" is aimed at learners who are seeking to augment, expand, optimize, and increase the efficiency of their Excel spreadsheet skills by tapping into the powerful programming, automation, and customization capabilities available with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). This course is the first part of a three-part series and Specialization that focuses on the application of computing techniques in Excel/VBA to solve problems. In this course (Part 1), you will: 1) create macros to automate procedures in Excel; 2) define your own user-defined functions; 3) create basic subroutines to interface with the user; 4) learn the basic programming structures in VBA; and 5) automate Excel’s Goal Seek and Solver tools and use numerical techniques to create “live solutions” to solve targeting and optimization problems. New to computer programming? The extremely intuitive and visual nature of VBA lends itself nicely to teaching and learning - what a fun way to learn to code! No prior knowledge in programming nor advanced math skills are necessary yet seasoned programmers will pick up new and creative spreadsheet problem solving strategies. After you have learned the basics of VBA, each module will introduce foundational and broad problems inspired by situations that you might encounter in the real world. To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MS

Jan 27, 2018

Great course! I like it goes straight to implementation and is practice-oriented. What could be improved maybe is sound quality of lectures. And maybe it would be great to have some VBA notes in pdf.

LR

Jul 05, 2018

I'm not one to write reviews - this course is fantastic and a game changer. Prof Nuttelman is a very engaging speaker and makes what could seem a very dry topic come across as interesting, fascin

101 - 125 of 344 Reviews for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

By Hakim B

May 26, 2018

Very well-thought! Thanks teacher

By Sandeep K

Mar 25, 2018

Amazing Course. Only one suggestion, input more real life related coding examples and methods because one may not be using too complex formulas but need VBA for reducing the efforts.

By Sean W

Mar 13, 2018

This is a great course if you really want to use VBA beyond just recording a bunch of mouse clicks. I was already pretty familiar with Excel and some surface level VBA stuff. Thanks to this course, I have a much better handle on the available features of VBA to the point where I have already been able to implement some valuable things at work. I would imagine that this would be the case even for an Excel beginner. I would highly recommend this course for a fairly wide range of experience levels. I'm looking forward to Part 2.

By Budi N

Jun 21, 2018

nice

By Tim M

Jun 16, 2018

Absolutely enjoyed the course! Charlie is a great teacher who conveys the content in an understandable manner. The length of the videos is neither too short nor too long. Also I really liked the assignments which are challenging without getting too frustrating. As for improvements, you could maybe spice up the PowerPoint slides in the videos a little (colors, background etc.). Other than that everything's perfect about the course, highly recommend it!

By B. M

c

l

a

!

I've written VBA in the past for Excel by copying/pasting, and generally stumbling through it. This class really cleared up a lot of things for me and has increased my confidence and I actually feel like I know what I'm doing now! Thank you Professor Nuttleman!

By Tammy G

May 22, 2018

Loved the class - lectures are short and to the point - assignments and quizzes challenge new skills - cannot wait to start Part 2

By Negin P

Jan 26, 2018

Thank you Charlie for your wonderful course!

Best

Negin

By Alan A A Q

Jun 15, 2018

Great course to learn and practice VBA fundamentals

By Andrea N R S

Mar 14, 2018

Excellent course, give you tangible examples so you can get better the concepts.

By Kelvyn V S R

Apr 18, 2018

Clear and direct teaching, many applications and examples during learning

By Matt F

Feb 28, 2018

Great class! I have been looking at increasing my Excel skills and wanted to learn VBA, however, I really could find a class that had what I needed. This class was what I was looking for, even though it is more engineering based. I highly recommend it for getting into VBA. I liked the mini quizzes and the assignments. They both help you learn and retain the material. Dr. Nuttelman was also very responsive. Had been staring at my VBA code too long and wasn't able to figure out why my code wasn't working correctly on one of the assignments. I sent it to Dr. Nuttelman and he was able to look over my code and point out the problem. Very quick turnaround on getting an answer too! I will be signing up for Part 2 of this course.

By Matt K

Apr 15, 2018

The best part is I can apply the skills learner here right away! Will definitely take part 2.

By Lucas B

Jun 07, 2018

I have always looked for a practical, intuitive way to learn VBA. This is a great opportunity for that!

By Jason J

Jun 06, 2018

Great overview of the capabilities of VBA with Excel. It is clear the professor spent a great amount of time in putting together the lecture videos - both in laying out the flow of the class as well as editing the videos to aid in comprehension. I appreciate his effort as it really aids in understanding the material.

By Zhiqing L

Mar 08, 2018

I strongly recommend this course to those who have no VBA experience and want to learn VBA. There are lots of VBA websites/forums, but they are not very useful to beginners.

A very good thing of this course is that Dr Charlie is teaching you to think in a "VBA way" to solve a problem, but not just teaching syntax.

I will definitely take part 2 and part 3. Thank Dr Charlie again for providing this VBA course.

By Andre B M

Feb 19, 2018

Very good, I highly recommend it

By yue w

Mar 18, 2018

At the beginning of the course , I asked myself, why VBA when excel can easily do these with build in buttons. I know understand a little.

By Rossmary J P

Apr 14, 2018

I really learned a lot in this course. I could start using right away what i've learned in real life problems. And it challenged me to discover new tools in excel and vba. Thank you!!

By Leonardo S

Feb 11, 2018

Very nice introduction course for VBA excel learners. Charlie is a very watchful and kind teacher. It really helped me to start fulfilling my dream of making some original codes by myself.

By Richard M

Jul 09, 2018

Concise treatment of VBA fundamentals and demonstrating the power and value of the langue. I had struggled with self-taught VBA for some time, but this course led me through to a coherent understanding of how to usefully apply VBA to my Excel projects. The staff were also very helpful with hints that helped me past the few snags I encountered on the way. I recommend Week 5 - its pretty tough (for me, at least) but it really pulls a lot together. Many Thanks

By Matthew P

Mar 30, 2018

Excellent course. Very practical and informative examples provided. I highly recommend taking the optional Week 5. It is worth the extra effort.

By Ronald d R

May 01, 2018

Interesting & Challenging. Definetly recommended!

By Ankur B

May 22, 2018

Great course to learn the basic of VBA so that one can build on it later in whichever field one goes.

By Higor J

May 01, 2018

Very useful stuff and an amazing instructor!