Back to Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1 by University of Colorado Boulder

"Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1" is aimed at learners who are seeking to augment, expand, optimize, and increase the efficiency of their Excel spreadsheet skills by tapping into the powerful programming, automation, and customization capabilities available with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). This course is the first part of a three-part series and Specialization that focuses on the application of computing techniques in Excel/VBA to solve problems. In this course (Part 1), you will: 1) create macros to automate procedures in Excel; 2) define your own user-defined functions; 3) create basic subroutines to interface with the user; 4) learn the basic programming structures in VBA; and 5) automate Excel’s Goal Seek and Solver tools and use numerical techniques to create “live solutions” to solve targeting and optimization problems. New to computer programming? The extremely intuitive and visual nature of VBA lends itself nicely to teaching and learning - what a fun way to learn to code! No prior knowledge in programming nor advanced math skills are necessary yet seasoned programmers will pick up new and creative spreadsheet problem solving strategies. After you have learned the basics of VBA, each module will introduce foundational and broad problems inspired by situations that you might encounter in the real world. To pass each module, you'll need to pass a mastery quiz and complete a problem solving assignment. This course is unique in that the weekly assignments are completed in-application (i.e., on your own computer in Excel), providing you with valuable hands-on training....

MS

Jan 27, 2018

Great course! I like it goes straight to implementation and is practice-oriented. What could be improved maybe is sound quality of lectures. And maybe it would be great to have some VBA notes in pdf.

JH

Apr 03, 2020

Very good course with clear examples throughout to help you develop. The online format of the course is great as it allows you to pause and work through the activities presented at your own speed.

126 - 150 of 654 Reviews for Excel/VBA for Creative Problem Solving, Part 1

By Yoo Y J

Jul 07, 2020

this was a very good introduction to VBA, i was able to follow the lessons and complete the assignments with no prior experience with VBA. i will most certainly complete the other 2 courses in this specialisation! thank you dr charlie!

By Charlie H

Nov 27, 2018

Very well-organized and well-paced. I am a corporate accountant and I find VBA techniques incredibly useful in my daily work, and this is the first online course that I find helpful for someone without any coding experience to utilize

By Juan R

Jun 04, 2018

Excellent information and challenging content. The course was very useful and showed me an interesting alternative to be more productive with Excel. I have a Mac and if you want to take this course you absolutely need to borrow a PC.

By Marlene F

May 09, 2020

Great course, totally recommended. All the videos, material, explanations from the instructor are absolutely amazing. The assignments are very good and in some cases difficult, but for me this is the best way to learn. Thanks a lot!

By Johannes H

Oct 28, 2018

Great presentation of very useful content. Makes it easy to understand. Good balance between theory and practical examples. Sometimes the math might be intimidating, but it's just a little part of it - except you try out the honors.

By Edmond J E

Oct 10, 2019

Really useful to expand your knowledge on excel and introduce some pretty cool functions should you be using it all times. Highly recommend this course to anyone seeking to learn how to start using VBA. I am excited for Part 2 now.

By Sagar B

Jun 01, 2020

This has been a great course. I never knew i could use this program in solving so many problems which usually would usually take me hours sorting through the datas. I wish i could have learned VBA much sooner. Anyhoo! Its amazing.

By Dr. U S M

It was a pleasure enhancing my excel and VBA skills in this course. The course is extremely well structured and brilliantly narrated. It was a cakewalk. I found the quizzes to be more challenging than the assignments.

Thanks a lot!

By claudio y

Aug 12, 2019

Excellent course, I learned a lot and the the material was excellent. It was very useful the entire informatios shared in the slides and the methodology was very interest, because you had quizes when you advance in each topic.

By aashray k

Apr 03, 2019

The assignments are sufficiently challenging that they really force the student to grapple with and show an understanding of the material. Thought it was a a really practical set of examples and I look forward to section 2.

By adi

Jun 14, 2020

Assignments could have been a bit more challenging. Otherwise, the course was very good. Professor Nuttelman is very good at explaining the different approaches to programming in VBA, as well as higher-level math concepts.

By Alessandro C

Jan 13, 2020

A very good introductory course in Excel/VBA. The video lectures are always clear and interesting. The assignments are aimed at reinforcing the concepts explained in the lectures and their difficulty is very well-balanced.

By Matias C

May 26, 2019

Very interesting course. It's perfect for beginners in VBA. The quizzes are difficult but not too much, and the assignments are very interesting. I would recommend this course for anyone looking for an introduction to VBA.

By Juan D G V

An excellent introduction to the world of programming, excellent teacher and the course is very well planned and implemented. If you are interested in learning more about programming and vba, you should take the course.

By SAMBA M A

Apr 09, 2020

This course is just great. Throughout the four weeks, I had to learn a lot in VBA / Macro. I, who was already doing Excel, I quickly realized that there were concepts that I did not master. Thank you Charlie Nuttelman

By IGNACIO F R

Oct 05, 2018

I liked very much the practical approach the course takes. In my opinion, the extent of the course is correct but I would upload more VBA reading material for those who want to go deeper into programming Excel macros.

By André L C d R S

Aug 06, 2020

I appreciate all efforts made by Professor Nuttelman. This course guided me for a beginner (but essential) understanding of VBA. After years of postponing this learning, I start getting confident, thanks to Coursera.

By Rafael L

May 02, 2020

Super valuable content, great instruction and guidance. At times the advanced math involved deviates the main focus of the course which is VBA/Excel but this is very minimal; amazing course overall. Very recommended!

By Zhen G

May 11, 2019

I often need to create trackers/templates/reports for different purposes and VBA is a great starting point to have reports/processes automated. This is a very organized course that put things in orders. Super useful!

By Vivek B

Mar 24, 2018

This course is brilliant and Charlie Nuttleman is an excellent instructor. This is a must take course for all interested in taking their excel skills to the next level. I only wish he had put up some lectures notes

By Alexandros G

i had been trying to learn VBA using books but wasn't easy. This cours is great in a few weeks i obtained the knowlegde that i need. it is going to change the way i use Excel. Many thanks to our professor Charlie!

By Juan D B G

Jul 20, 2018

This has been the best Excel course I've ever had. It encouraged me to keep learning and practicing and apply the different tools learnt into my daily work. I am very thankful to the people who made this possible.

By Edward R

May 23, 2020

The content of the course is quite interesting and provide helpful tools. I personally suggest that in the last part of the week 5, add the concept of tolerance in order to solve that kind of iterative problems

By Laura S J F

Feb 25, 2020

Very interesting course. I have worked in VBA for years and I learned useful tricks I didn't know to improve my codes. I recommend it and I will continue with the other two courses of the speacialized program.

By Jean C L

May 02, 2020

The instructor's lessons are very concise and well-planned. Concepts were easy to understand and execute. I had no programming background but I can still say that the teaching style proved to be effective :)