Back to Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals by Rice University

This short course surveys all the major topics covered in a full semester MBA level finance course, but with a more intuitive approach on a very high conceptual level. The goal here is give you a roadmap and framework for how financial professional make decisions. We will cover the basics of financial valuation, the time value of money, compounding returns, and discounting the future. You will understand discounted cash flow (DCF) valuation and how it compares to other methods. We also step inside the mind of a corporate financial manager and develop the basic tools of capital budgeting. We will survey the how, when, and where to spend money, make tradeoffs about investment, growth, dividends, and how to ensure sound fiscal discipline. Our journey then turns to a Wall Street or capital markets perspective of investments as we discuss the fundamental tradeoff between risk and return. We then synthesize our discussion of risk with our valuation framework and incorporate it into series of direct applications to practice. This course requires no prior familiarity with finance. Rather, it is intended to be a first step for anyone who is curious about understanding stock markets, valuation, or corporate finance. We will walk through all of the tools and quantitative analysis together and develop a guide for understanding the seemingly complex decisions that finance professionals make. By the end of the course, you will develop an understanding of the major conceptual levers that push and pull on financial decision making and how they relate to other areas of business. The course should also serve as a roadmap for where to further your finance education and it would be an excellent introduction of any students contemplating an MBA or Finance concentration, but who has little background in the area....

KH

Mar 28, 2020

Great Course, Very solid start for those who are trying to enter Finance world.\n\nIt makes you love this field if you are not familiar with it and have no previous experience.\n\nGreat Job Professor.

RM

Aug 17, 2020

This is a very well designed course. Taking you through basics and in the end puts you in a real business scenario where you are expected to take a decision based on the tools and concepts you learnt.

151 - 175 of 372 Reviews for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

By Kaixiang S

Oct 16, 2019

That course is completely suitable for the beginner, very easy to understand, recommend

By Ibrahim a

Feb 14, 2017

Very informative course, flows smoothly and enjoyed the presentations and discussions.

By Ali F U

Aug 28, 2019

The videos explained the topics very clearly, it was a great experience, thank you!

By YAKUP K

Aug 27, 2019

I am glad to graduate such a good program ,Thanks Turkcell&Riceuniversity&Coursera

By Gomathy P

Dec 03, 2016

I enjoyed the course a lot and is very inspiring to pursue my degree in finance.

By Olamilekan O

Mar 13, 2020

Great course for people with little knowledge of finance. Highly recommended!

By Hasandeep S

Aug 29, 2019

very basics were covered and it helped me to grab at my own pace. Thank you!

By Nikolaos P

Jan 11, 2018

Excellent course! High quality content and very nice presentation. Thank you

By Aravind N

Jul 30, 2019

Easy to understand and well presented. I acquired new knowledge on finance.

By Saqib N M

Jul 12, 2019

A good concise refresher course to sharpen the financial management skills.

By himanshu k

Dec 03, 2018

Very well explained and heads down to Rice University for making the course

By OSMAN C A

Aug 27, 2019

I got new information. It will be useful for my own financial decisions.

By Olivia W

Jun 21, 2018

Super useful as an intro class for people who have some econ background.

By Andrea A

Feb 13, 2017

Excellent course, learnt a lot and the Professor was funny and engaging.

By Hasan R C

Jun 27, 2019

Wonderful course from a wonderful professor.

Thank you for your efforts.

By Tejasvi A

Jul 14, 2020

Best course for non-finance professionals. Shout out to the professor.

By Mikhail U

Jun 02, 2020

Great experience, good lecturer, extremely clear explanations, thanks!

By Jagannathan I

Sep 19, 2017

An awesome course to get introduced to the exciting world of finance!!

By Valentina R

Jun 13, 2017

Very nice corse, useful for professionals with no economic background.

By Jingwen W

Oct 15, 2016

Great course for somebody who wants to learn the basics about Finance.

By Eldar K

Sep 08, 2020

Thanks for this interesting course! I will use new skills in my life!

By Giridhar T

Aug 16, 2020

Professor James is amazing. Thank you so much for making this course.

By Cicy

Oct 21, 2019

Interest course! Gives me an insight on the business world operation.

By Olabowale G

Mar 14, 2017

FIve Stars

Excellent course information

Course Instructor - Excellent

By Alvin T

Sep 30, 2020

This course really helps me refresh the knowledge about Finance :)