Back to Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals by Rice University

This short course surveys all the major topics covered in a full semester MBA level finance course, but with a more intuitive approach on a very high conceptual level. The goal here is give you a roadmap and framework for how financial professional make decisions. We will cover the basics of financial valuation, the time value of money, compounding returns, and discounting the future. You will understand discounted cash flow (DCF) valuation and how it compares to other methods. We also step inside the mind of a corporate financial manager and develop the basic tools of capital budgeting. We will survey the how, when, and where to spend money, make tradeoffs about investment, growth, dividends, and how to ensure sound fiscal discipline. Our journey then turns to a Wall Street or capital markets perspective of investments as we discuss the fundamental tradeoff between risk and return. We then synthesize our discussion of risk with our valuation framework and incorporate it into series of direct applications to practice. This course requires no prior familiarity with finance. Rather, it is intended to be a first step for anyone who is curious about understanding stock markets, valuation, or corporate finance. We will walk through all of the tools and quantitative analysis together and develop a guide for understanding the seemingly complex decisions that finance professionals make. By the end of the course, you will develop an understanding of the major conceptual levers that push and pull on financial decision making and how they relate to other areas of business. The course should also serve as a roadmap for where to further your finance education and it would be an excellent introduction of any students contemplating an MBA or Finance concentration, but who has little background in the area....

RM
Aug 16, 2020

This is a very well designed course. Taking you through basics and in the end puts you in a real business scenario where you are expected to take a decision based on the tools and concepts you learnt.

KH
Mar 27, 2020

Great Course, Very solid start for those who are trying to enter Finance world.\n\nIt makes you love this field if you are not familiar with it and have no previous experience.\n\nGreat Job Professor.

151 - 175 of 400 Reviews for Finance for Non-Finance Professionals

By Liow T Y

Nov 9, 2020

Amazing course! Lecturer explained it very well and we got lots of theory and practical exposure

By Feichen Y

Jan 20, 2020

Clear courses with good talk with the practitioner. Didn't get the certificate because I'm poor

By Deepesh T

Sep 1, 2020

The instructor explained all concepts really nicely without going into much technical details.

By Pravaal S

Oct 3, 2017

Brilliant course. Does exactly what the name suggests. A quick revision of all the concepts.

By Jairo S R

May 24, 2017

Very good course! Awesome professor with great materials and exams to take. Totally worth it

By Tavis G

Oct 5, 2020

Great course. It was an insightful journey to understand what accountants are looking for.

By Henry Y

Jun 14, 2020

There's some confusion in the final exam, other than that, the course materials are great!

By Jiayu H

Jul 2, 2020

Very organized class structure. Very useful for nonprofessionals indeed. I learned a lot.

By Allu P K

May 7, 2020

this course is very helpful interms of learning the capital budgeting tools and coc etc..

By Federico B

Apr 20, 2018

A really great course, every notion is explaine in a very simple and understandable way.

By Prakash G S

Aug 26, 2017

Excellent course for Non-finance professionals to learn about important financial terms.

By Kaixiang S

Oct 16, 2019

That course is completely suitable for the beginner, very easy to understand, recommend

By Ibrahim a

Feb 14, 2017

Very informative course, flows smoothly and enjoyed the presentations and discussions.

By Ali F U

Aug 28, 2019

The videos explained the topics very clearly, it was a great experience, thank you!

By YAKUP K

Aug 27, 2019

I am glad to graduate such a good program ,Thanks Turkcell&Riceuniversity&Coursera

By Gomathy P

Dec 2, 2016

I enjoyed the course a lot and is very inspiring to pursue my degree in finance.

By Sofiane B

Dec 1, 2020

Great course, great teacher it helped me a lot to improve my financial skills.

By Olamilekan O

Mar 13, 2020

Great course for people with little knowledge of finance. Highly recommended!

By Hasandeep S

Aug 29, 2019

very basics were covered and it helped me to grab at my own pace. Thank you!

By Nikolaos P

Jan 11, 2018

Excellent course! High quality content and very nice presentation. Thank you

By Aravind N

Jul 30, 2019

Easy to understand and well presented. I acquired new knowledge on finance.

By Saqib N M

Jul 12, 2019

A good concise refresher course to sharpen the financial management skills.

By himanshu k

Dec 3, 2018

Very well explained and heads down to Rice University for making the course

By OSMAN C A

Aug 27, 2019

I got new information. It will be useful for my own financial decisions.

By Olivia W

Jun 21, 2018

Super useful as an intro class for people who have some econ background.