Back to Financial Accounting: Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Accounting: Foundations by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

In this course, you will learn foundations of financial accounting information. You will start your journey with a general overview of what financial accounting information is and the main financial statements. You will then learn how to code financial transactions in financial accounting language. In the meantime, you will learn about the most important concept in contemporary financial accounting: accrual accounting. You will then critically analyze how firms recognize revenues. Finally, you will finish the course with an analysis of accounting for short-term assets where you will go into detail on how firms account for accounts receivables and inventories. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: • Understand main financial statements and the financial information they provide • Write a financial transaction in financial accounting language and understand how this impacts main financial statements • Understand how accrual accounting and fundamental accounting concepts work • Understand revenue recognition principles and how they impact main financial statements • Account for accounts receivables and inventories. This course is part of the iMBA offered by the University of Illinois, a flexible, fully-accredited online MBA at an incredibly competitive price. For more information, please see the Resource page in this course and onlinemba.illinois.edu....

AD
Sep 3, 2017

Though I have been through Intro Accounting some 3 or 4 times through different classes and seminars, I still found myself learning from this detailed and straight forward presentation of information.

YP
Jun 6, 2020

The modules were extremely informative and nothing less to say, Oktay sir's presentations were very easy to understand even for a person like me who has no prior knowledge about Financial Accounting.

701 - 725 of 732 Reviews for Financial Accounting: Foundations

By Aisling F

Oct 9, 2020

I found that this course definitely did cover a lot of information and I like that the exercises came from real-life examples, however, I found that the lecturer went at a very fast pace despite this being a foundational course. In particular, this was my experience during week 3 and 4. I know that the beauty of online learning is the ability to pause and rewind the lectures but I think even with that some of the material was a little fast-paced.

By Li Y

Sep 26, 2018

It is an OK course, but for someone like me who had little background of finance still struggled in the class because I felt that many of the concept is no explained clearly. I understand that the professor tried to illustrate through examples but I felt that the example does not explain anything other than merely listed and repeated the numbers.

By Nipun S D

Aug 30, 2020

Module 4 is not consistent to understand. I found it easy to apply recording to Unearned revenue but was lost when it came to module 4. It didn't seem consistent . Then the case videos there was total consistecy loss where I had to break my head what to find where. I have to depend on the professor or study group on Module 4.

By Rei H

Jun 27, 2020

Regarding accounting, the course was not so easy for a beginner learner. Most example case questions were good, but I wish the instructor explicitly explained how to solve those questions. Also, I was disappointed that lots of questions in the discussion forums have not been answered by the instructor.

By Ben N

Mar 26, 2018

Oversimplified. Most of the interesting topics have been avoided in this class and were only covered in the book which was optional.

By Alok P

Oct 20, 2016

Recommend the Introduction to Financial Accounting Course from UPenn, which is more informative and more engaging.

By Fred S

Mar 10, 2018

Lots of info, but not any practical assignments that can help build this knowledge into practical skill.

By Indrajit p

Jun 25, 2020

The presenter was not impressive,same content shown in many way without any help.

By HIMANSHU V

Jul 18, 2019

Balance sheets used have mistakes. Also he needs to explain things better.

By Kamile

Oct 7, 2020

Really didnt like the teacher. The way of speaking etc is not helpful.

By Yussupova M N

Nov 20, 2020

Not very informative and I didn't get a certificate on completion

By babak f

Jun 3, 2017

I find accounting quite boring, so that's why I did not enjoy it.

By Ali G

Sep 17, 2019

The instructor talks very fast but he is good. I learn a lot

By Ms. A M

it was nice experience and learning with coursera

By 黄伊琳

Aug 30, 2016

good, but need to pay to attend test

By VINODH K

Sep 20, 2016

language accent difficult to fallow

By Kamya A

Aug 3, 2020

Confusing at some places

By NITHYASHREE V S

Jul 18, 2020

GOOD KNOWLEDGE

By RAHUL J

Oct 12, 2020

GOOD

By Sadam H

hi

By Svitlana N

Jun 1, 2020

Some concepts are poorly explained. I had to use external materials to supplement my learning, even though I have extensive experience in finance. I had a very bad experience learning about LIFO and FIFO principals. The professor didn't really go into the logic of calculating both methods or anything really behind the methods. In addition, it was really hard to understand the professor. I am a foreigner myself and I understand the language struggle. But I expect the professor teaching the course to pronounce the terms correctly. It added a challenge to comprehend already poorly explained material. The syllabus was great though. With external research and figuring out formulas on my own (due to lack of clear explanation), I was able to learn some useful materials.

By Florin M

Feb 10, 2019

Not too much value for money (at 38 pounds per month), given the very basic level of the learning material / courses the specialisation has on offer (even though it's being advertised as an intermediate level one).

By carrie

May 17, 2017

The content is pretty good. However, it is really difficult to understand the instructor because of his accent. I need to review the transcript all the time.

By EKene O

Feb 4, 2018

The question should be more calculation based and little bit more interactive. Students should be aided to dig dipper.

By Ariel A M G

Apr 19, 2020

in my opinion this is not financial accounting, it is just basics or fundamental of accounting