Back to Accounting: Principles of Financial Accounting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Accounting: Principles of Financial Accounting by IESE Business School

Financial Accounting is often called the language of business; it is the language that managers use to communicate the firm's financial and economic information to external parties such as shareholders and creditors. Nobody working in business can afford financial illiteracy. Whether you run your own business, work as a manager or are just starting your career, you want to understand financial information and be able to interact with accountants, controllers, and financial managers. You want to talk business! This course will provide you with the accounting language's essentials. Upon completion, you should be able to read and interpret financial statements for business diagnosis and decision-making. More importantly, you will possess the conceptual base to keep learning more sophisticated accounting and finance on your own. Do not forget that, as with any other language, becoming proficient with accounting requires constant practice....

DN
Aug 17, 2020

All topics covered in this course were explained well and shown how to implement, highly recommended for beginners and individuals who would like to brush up on their accounting knowledge foundations.

SG
Oct 13, 2020

Es un curso muy valioso para poder fomentar las bases del análisis contable sobre el funcionamiento en las empresas, tomo el curso desde Colombia y quedo muy satisfecho con el aprendizaje optenido.

501 - 525 of 567 Reviews for Accounting: Principles of Financial Accounting

By Sejal K

May 4, 2020

good

By Prashant R

Sep 19, 2019

Apr 26, 2017

E

By Alexis M

Jun 3, 2018

I audited this class to see how I would respond to this style of learning. I was very impressed with the content and explanation on the topic via the online video lessons. The little quizzes that popped up every so often after learning about the content were easy to understand and reinforced the lesson well. I liked the use of the stories to represent and explain the lesson as well. The only part I found a little dense was the reading assignment and examples of balance sheets. The verbiage was still pretty technical for a beginner in accounting, and the balance sheets were extensive to decipher and navigate as a beginner. I think it would have helped to have links in the balance sheet to click on so you could see an explanation as it related to the lesson for the user. Overall though, the content and format is excellent and I will be signing up for Coursera.

By Clarence A

Nov 8, 2020

I failed my accounting class in college. Two of them. Mostly because both professors really didn't know how to illustrate concepts in bite-sized pieces that demonstrate why and where money moves in a company. However, Professor Badia did it so well that I was wondering while taking the course why I failed accounting if it could be explained in such an easy way that almost everyone could understand. I really enjoyed taking this course and it made me feel like not all is lost even if I had a hard time in accounting previously. It's all about DOUBLE-ENTRY ACCOUNTS!!! Also as a point of improvement, maybe we can add more practice problems to help refine the concepts that were taught. They don't have to be complex, just enough to prepare user to understand the concepts prior to the quizzes and get them in a more accounting-centered mindset.

By Dingfei Z

Aug 18, 2017

All is great except the last part. You didn't really teach in detail for how to interpret a company's financial statements. I had to watch the last 4 or 5 videos over and over again and do some research on my own. For example, you can calculate the ROS or ROE; but what should that be to be considered "VERY profitable"? You can calculate the days of sales in inventory, but how long should that be to be considered as "good"? How much cash do you need to be considered as having a "good" liquidity? These terms are very vague. I understand that you have no problem making such judgements, since you are experienced. But I'm not. So I just can't tell these things without having a precise criteria. And many other things were vague as well. I feel like the course ended abruptly. Maybe this course needs a Week 5. So 4 stars for 4 weeks.

By Jim L

Jan 21, 2017

I thought the ideas were presented well at first and it was easy for me (a novice in the subject) to keep up. However, it ramped up for the last two weeks. I ended up doing some more research before understanding the concepts. Great examples throughout. Ultimately, challenging (therefore rewarding). I look forward to the other courses in the Foundations series.

By Mikel E

Aug 11, 2016

This is a very interesting course, I would hace liked the teacher would explain a little bit more about NOF and Operational ratios, go further on this topics and less analysisi of Balance Sheet and P&L.

But in general, great explanations and videos and completely easy to understand everything, very good examples.

By Laurie G

Nov 18, 2020

I enjoyed the course but in the 4th week it became a bit daunting for me. It seemed like a lot all at once so I struggled through it. I did not do the peer grading since I wont continue this as a career. The instructor did an awesome job. I thank you for letting me take this course through Maine unemployment.

By Laura A D P

Nov 5, 2017

Es un muy buen curso. Perfecto para personas que no son contadores y no buscan serlo. Con este curso logras aprender a leer estados financieros y, como su nombre lo dice, a partir de ellos poder tomar decisiones informadas. Le doy 4 estrellas porque los subtítulos son muy mejorables

By Daniel

Aug 21, 2017

The last part of interpretation of the Financial Statements is a little less accurate (or too quick) in terms of methodology, at least for a total beginner like me. In general I enjoyed the course and learned the basics I wanted to learn. Very nice!

By Dina A

Mar 27, 2017

Peer-Grading assignment is not completely fair. Depending on them is not logical since not all of them are fully educated in this course that's the reason we're taking the course in the first place. but over all it is good and the proff is amazing.

By JOVIE B L

Jul 28, 2020

The content is taught in a very simplistic manner. The texts that come under the required readings can be a little complex, however, once you clear the weekly quizzes, you'll be able to garner a firm understanding of the lessons.

By Muhammad W M

Dec 10, 2018

This course is very good and give high information about accounting and how we understand and analysis the financial position of the organization. Time frame of this course is so short.

By ADITI K

Aug 3, 2020

I am new to learn accounting. This course has helped me to learn new thing but I have faced problem in solving quizzes for week 3 and 4. I have that way was also thought.

By Rahul R S

I learn lot about the basic Accounting fundamentals .How analysis the company financial statements and find out that the company are in profit or loss .

By Felipe L

Oct 10, 2017

A well done course. The structure and the exercises throughout the semester blended nicely to create a smooth and challenging experience.

By Camila B

Aug 21, 2016

Professor was very good, easy to learn. I only do not give it a 5 because I wish accrual accounting had been discussed more at length.

By Faazia H R

Sep 29, 2020

It was an interesting course, however more explanation is needed for the challenging questions since this is a beginners course.

By Pauline K

Aug 15, 2016

Beautifully delivered, made it easy to understand material that was new to me. I highly recommend

By Keziah T P

Aug 11, 2020

This course will help you refresh your knowledge about the basic core concept of accounting.