Back to Financial Markets

May 9, 2020

176 - 200 of 3,796 Reviews for Financial Markets

By Troy T

Jun 4, 2020

My first Coursera course and I loved it. Thank you Professor Shiller and the Yale course team. Engaging lectures, group discussions and chalk talks. I didn't want the course to end. My background is in social sciences and law but I work in the securities industry so this course is applicable to my career. Coursera is a treasure and opportunity for anyone looking to continue their education. If this course is any indication of what the others courses are like, I am hooked.

By Aakash P

Dec 21, 2020

I'd rate this as the 101 on financial markets - this offers a really well put together look at various institutions, practices and aspects of financial markets, in theory and practices. I'd taken this course from the perspective of a law student interested in finance, but this is essential for almost everyone in the corporate world, as so many institutions have an intersection with finance and having a good understanding would probably benefit one's professional competencies.

By Abhinav C

Oct 2, 2020

Pros - Professor is charming, engaging and highly experienced. Lots of invaluable nuggets of insights were shared.

Cons - Individual videos are incoherent since they are snippets from his lectures. That is why it seems a little incomplete too.

Verdict - See it if you have little prior knowledge or are ready to put in a bit of separate effort to understand certain things that go unexplained. And if you are looking for "seeing the big picture of the market", definitely go for it.

By Avi

Jul 18, 2020

Hi!

If you are new to Finance or need a refresher, then this is the course for you.

What I enjoyed most was the engaging style of delivery by Professor Shiller- especially his passion for 'History of Thought' which was evident in the lectures. This factor alone made what could have been a dry subject for some, come to life.

I firmly believe that investing in this is a course worthwhile. It certainly gave me new insights into a subject matter I had explored before.

Happy learning!

By Rahul S

Jun 9, 2020

This course serves as the correct introduction to the financial markets. It tells you the history and psychology behind some of the game-changing financial instruments we take for granted. Also, it convinces you that one has to not to fear the financial markets but instead leverage it to create meaningful wealth. The last module which emphasized the social/moral responsibilities with respect to financial innovation was an apt end. Robert Shiller is an excellent professor.

By Atul A

Apr 18, 2020

It was my first course of Finance anywhere. After the completion of this course "Financial Markets". I could say I learnt a lot of things about Finance, How the market works ?; What to do at what point of time ? and I got all the answers of those basic questions and doubts that I had before. Moreover, Professor Shiller is very interactive to the students, all the examples He gives are very realistic and interesting during the course. You will enjoy every lecture. Thanks !

Oct 14, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this course on financial markets. Most of the content I was fascinated by, and I am pleased to say my knowledge of financial markets has improved greatly and I am sure this will help me in my future studies. I particularly enjoyed discovering behavioural finance, as well as being introduced to the book, The Black Swan, by Nicholas Taleb, which I have since read. Would highly recommend this course to anyone hoping to pursue a career related to finance.

By Gareth B

Oct 8, 2020

A very interesting course that provides a broad overview of financial markets, delivered by a professor that is is engaging and obviously highly knowledgeable.

As a native English speaker, I definitely found it okay to increase the video speed to 1.5X, as the dialogue is very clear and paced to be easily understood by all. That actually made the course more interesting for me, as prior to that speed change the dialogue was a little too slowly delivered for me personally.

By Francois C

Nov 14, 2017

Professor Shiller has enciclopedic knowledge of financial markets and regulation. He is also an engaging speaker. If you want mathematical finance, this is not the course for you, although I think there is enough math to support the more important financial concepts which can be reduced to a mathematical formula. This is not a dry course focusing on the math. This a juicy course which clearly explains the role of finance in the modern world. Highly recommended!

By PC

Nov 30, 2020

Very much enjoyed this course. I liked learning about Financial Markets and the instructor was great. He provided a lot of insight and thorough explanation of each topic which helped me learn more about finance. The formatting of the course was great too with the inclusion of the essay within the middle of the course which helped me apply some of the topics I learned form this course to the essay. Overall, I'm very happy with taking this course and am left satisfied.

By Hansha M

Mar 27, 2020

This course is excellent. The Professor is absolutely superb and the TA is very helpful in that he asks questions to clarify certain concepts. The student forums are also very good - the discussions expand your understanding. I had mainly thought of finance as referring to Wall Street, and this course made me think about finance in a broader way. The guests who were interviewed by Professor Shiller emphasized finance as a force for good and that was enlightening.

By Rehan Q

Jan 9, 2021

Professor Shiller inspired me to start my carrier in economics and finance. I am currently a high schooler and because of professor Shiller I was introduced to Game theory, I am currently writing two research papers and have gotten very interested in the subject. All of this goes to professor Shiller, I am in the 11th grade and working towards getting admitted into Yale and eventually meeting the man himself and collaborating in research. Thank you, professor!

By Denisse T P

May 14, 2020

Excelente recurso, bien estructurado y adecuado. Las lecturas y conversatorios fueron muy digeribles. Adicionalmente, las contribuciones de los invitados al final del curso, así como otros recursos de referencia fueron enriquecedores e inspiradores. En el interior del curso se refleja de manera clara el propósito y la utilidad real de las finanzas que no siempre se destaca, cómo las finanzas son una herramienta para el desarrollo, para el logro de objetivos.

By Vedant P B

Jul 10, 2020

This is an amazing course. Even learning the fundamentals of economic and financial theory from one of the most brilliant minds of our times is literally an opportunity one should not miss. The course covers a range of topics and subjects that are covered in a very applicable and relatable manner. Prof Shiller's lectures make you think in a different way and promotes you to think intuitively about everyday things and how they affect the financial markets.

By Ulas Y

Apr 14, 2020

As an introductory course to finance I believe this course can be considered sufficient. Also, it gives the idea about what finance currently is and how it supposed to be.

Some constructive comments from my side are ;

The mathematical side of finance is not explained in deep and some formulas and their meaning are not explained extensively, this can be improved.

Especially out of the auditorium camera is continuously shaking and makes it hard to follow.

By Kartik V

Apr 14, 2020

It was a great learning experience under Professor Shiller. The best part about this course was that it not only discusses about stocks but also how our mental biases affect the financial markets at large. Also, the social issues mentioned with respect to financial literacy were very well documented. Getting to know about behavioral finance was definitely a new thing. Regulatory aspects of various organisations and Acts was also a much needed touch.

By JAZEEL A W

Jul 13, 2020

Its an outstanding programme designed by Yale University. I have been following prof Shiller from long, i didn't thought that one day I'll take his course . Thank God.

The course structure was highly commendable ,it covered each and every aspect of Financial markets.Im sure Coursera and Yale University made me to stand as a strong Financial Advisor . Thank you Coursera and Yale University for giving me the opportunity to pursue the great programme.

By Xena N

Jun 6, 2020

I used to be positively intimidated by just the word finance but that was before I found this course. I am a management student and was going to take marketing as an elective but after this course, I will be going for finance. It made me understand and see the complexity of finance and how it affects various prospects of life directly or indirectly. Also, there couldn't have been a better person to be introduced to this world than Professor Shiller.

By Alexey S

Aug 27, 2018

Financial Markets was a very intriguing and applicable course to real world situations. Robert Shiller incorporated personal experience into theory and mathematical equations which assisted in memorization and understanding of the financial institutions. The guest speakers further informed of innovative solutions which assisted developing nations in overcoming financial strain and availability of alternative funding through social institutions.

By Jack S

Apr 28, 2020

I want to thank Coursera, Yale University as well as Robert Shiller for creating this course and making it free for all during these unprecedented times. I believe that keeping the mind sharp is more important now than it has ever been and you have offered a chance for individuals like myself to do something positive with their time spent in isolation. If I'm ever passing New Haven, Connecticut I'll be sure to drop by and thank you in person!

By Mostafa S

Oct 6, 2020

Professor Shiller is the best without any competition. i have learned a lot of information from him and

i still learning from him. his way in explanation are very simple and exciting until he reach the information .he was with me all time thanks again and i will review again and again the course.

of course i recommend the course for every one who wants to get to learning something new in his life.

Thanks again and we expected more from you.

By Fereshteh A

Apr 29, 2018

I would like to thanks Yale University and Coursera for this opportunity, this course contains information on Financial Markets that depending on how eager students are, one can go deeper and increase his/her knowledge. I Personally enjoyed the Options, Bonds and Financialization of real estate as topics. I would like to see more engagement; for instant if we can add a section to have more up to date topics about financial industry.

By Ariel V

Jun 28, 2020

I am a chemist with no finance background. About 6 months ago, I decided to start investing in the stock market and thought I would try this course to learn more about finance and I cannot praise this course enough. I did really well and have learned a lot about investment strategies well beyond the stock market. I have recommended this course on my facebook to all of my friends and family and I will say, it is 100% worth your time.

By Abdullah J

Sep 6, 2020

One of the best courses I've taken so far in Coursera. "Financial Market" was a great course that covered topics ranging from financial history to ethical and moral connotations of finance. Moreover, finance and technology are in many ways connected.

Also, I would love to thank Professor Shiller for his excellent lecture that fascinated my understanding of finance. I look forward to taking more of his course lectures in the future.

By Boyan D

Jun 23, 2020

THE COURSE WAS GREAT, THE PROFESSOR WAS AMAZING AND VERY THOUGHTFUL ON HOW TO PRESENT THE INFORMATION. IT'S EVERYTHING I THOUGHT THE CLASS WOULD BE AND IT WAS FAIR TO ITS EXPLANATION ON WHAT WAS TO BE COVERED. ALONG WITH THE BOOKS, IT COVERED EVERYTHING I NEEDED AND A LOT MORE; IN A VERY PRACTICAL USEFUL WAY RATHER THAN THEORY. THANK YOU PROFESSOR FOR SHARING. I WILL CHECK BACK IN WHEN I START RUNNING MY FIRST HEDGE FUND. CHEERS.