Back to Introduction to Forensic Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Forensic Science by Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

We have all seen forensic scientists in TV shows, but how do they really work? What is the science behind their work? The course aims to explain the scientific principles and techniques behind the work of forensic scientists and will be illustrated with numerous case studies from Singapore and around the world. Some questions which we will attempt to address include: How did forensics come about? What is the role of forensics in police work? Can these methods be used in non-criminal areas? Blood. What is it? How can traces of blood be found and used in evidence? Is DNA chemistry really so powerful? What happens (biologically and chemically) if someone tries to poison me? What happens if I try to poison myself? How can we tell how long someone has been dead? What if they have been dead for a really long time? Can a little piece of a carpet fluff, or a single hair, convict someone? Was Emperor Napoleon murdered by the perfidious British, or killed by his wallpaper? *For Nanyang Technological University (NTU) students, please be noted that this course will no longer be eligible for credit transfer....

SF
Nov 12, 2020

Thanks to Mr Roderick Wayland Bates for his simple and vivid explanation .....I liked his way of presentation... The course was really very useful and the case studies were thought provoking......

NU
Jun 17, 2020

The training and instruction received in the course of the program were an excellent one. It exposed me to various techniques used for crime investigation. Generally, I had an awesome experience.

401 - 425 of 429 Reviews for Introduction to Forensic Science

By Darrell W

Jan 28, 2018

Excellent course except for the peer review. Students don't have enough reliable knowledge to correctly evaluate an opinion based argument.

Nov 7, 2016

The material is good, but the format of the case study submission has allowed numerous cases of cheating and plagiarism.

By SAAD B

Feb 3, 2021

This course is good and it helps me to understand basics of forensic science and that how to solve any crime case.

By Juan J C

Jul 7, 2020

es sumamente interesante, sin embargo se encuentra un poco desactualizado

By Sivasankari S

May 21, 2018

the course you provided was very useful and interesting and easier too.

By Swarnava M

Jul 23, 2017

Very innovative and detailed course. Dr Bates is a very good teacher.

By Abhiram A P

Sep 25, 2020

best course on forensic science and a great explanations of topics.

By Joy S

Apr 1, 2017

good class, watched all the lectures, just won't do peer review.

By DIVYA P

Apr 17, 2019

interesting course for those who wish to study a budding field

By Neena J

Aug 23, 2020

VERY INFORMATIVE. Gives a good foundation to learn forensics.

By Rinshana P

Aug 22, 2020

Excellent course and the Professor teaches it so perfectly

By Jonathan G

Apr 29, 2018

Very informative course. I learned a lot.

By Elise K

Mar 25, 2019

Les devoirs à rendre étaient un peu long

By GANJIKUNTA C

Sep 5, 2020

It is very interesting and very useful.

By Sangeetha K

Nov 10, 2020

Helped me a lot to learn new things

By Shuvra D

Jul 7, 2020

it was a great experience. thanks

By Aravind k

By Famke J

Nov 10, 2016

By Lim A

May 15, 2020

Prof Bates presented the lectures clearly, though there are terms which I am not familiar with and I do struggle through some of the terminology. However the course helped me understand more about forensic science in the real world. Thank you Prif Bates!

By Laura V G C

Jan 8, 2021

I didnt receive my grades on time, so I couldnt get my certificate, Eventhought I finished everything before the deadline, it´s not fair.

By salman