Back to Fundamentals of Reinforcement Learning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Reinforcement Learning by University of Alberta

Reinforcement Learning is a subfield of Machine Learning, but is also a general purpose formalism for automated decision-making and AI. This course introduces you to statistical learning techniques where an agent explicitly takes actions and interacts with the world. Understanding the importance and challenges of learning agents that make decisions is of vital importance today, with more and more companies interested in interactive agents and intelligent decision-making. This course introduces you to the fundamentals of Reinforcement Learning. When you finish this course, you will: - Formalize problems as Markov Decision Processes - Understand basic exploration methods and the exploration/exploitation tradeoff - Understand value functions, as a general-purpose tool for optimal decision-making - Know how to implement dynamic programming as an efficient solution approach to an industrial control problem This course teaches you the key concepts of Reinforcement Learning, underlying classic and modern algorithms in RL. After completing this course, you will be able to start using RL for real problems, where you have or can specify the MDP. This is the first course of the Reinforcement Learning Specialization....

AT
Jul 6, 2020

An excellent introduction to Reinforcement Learning, accompanied by a well-organized & informative handbook. I definitely recommend this course to have a strong foundation in Reinforcement Learning.

NH
Apr 7, 2020

This course is one of the best I've learned so far in coursera. The explanations are clear and concise enough. It took a while for me to understand Bellman equation but when I did, it felt amazing!

101 - 125 of 509 Reviews for Fundamentals of Reinforcement Learning

By Ismael E

Mar 29, 2021

Great course. I specifically recommend it as a completion to the reference book by R. Sutton. That course really helped me better understand some of the key concepts in the book. Looking forward to the next course.

By Andreas_spanopoulos

Aug 10, 2020

Amazing course. Amazing contents. The book is perfect and the lectures help clarify doubts that one may have from reading the book. With there were more programming assignments, but still it is a very good course.

By Guto L S

Very good course! It introduces basic concepts necessary to understand the basic reinforcement learning algorithms. The course is well structured, and the practical activities help a lot to fix the studied content.

By VBz

Oct 22, 2019

Short videos, with list of objectives at the beginning and recap and the end, and clear explanations in between. In my opinion, all teachers should watch these videos to get an example on how good courses are done.

By Nhu N A

The reading is a little bit challenging, but everything was explained very clearly with helpful examples in lecture videos. Absolutely recommend for someone who want to explore the field of Reinforcement Learning.

By Shahriyar R

Sep 22, 2019

Extremely useful course. Especially the format is very effective. First read the book, then listen the extra explanations and write Python code. Concepts are really clear for me now. Thanks for such amazing work.

By Dani C

Jul 25, 2020

I was already familiar with a lot of the subjects in the course, but the way Martha and Adam explained everything really cemented all of the knowledge for me. Now instead of just familiarity I have real skills.

By Tristan S

Apr 7, 2020

Great course for learning fundamentals. My only complaint is that I don't quite feel comfortable implementing what I have learned with coding yet. Maybe as I progress in the specialization this will get better.

By Rafael B M

Aug 16, 2020

The course build up a solid ground for building more complex concepts of Reinforcement Learning, It's essential to master the core fundamentals of RL in order to seek more powerful and sophisticated methods.

By Nicolas S

Mar 11, 2020

Excellent course, with an excellent explaination of Markov Decision Process and Dynamic Programming by the 2 teachers. The quizzes and the final exercice are challenging and make you search in the text book.

By Dashiell S

Apr 2, 2021

Well designed, well taught course. I think I'd have liked it if there were more and tougher programming assignments as opposed to the quizzes, but this definitely provides an accessible introduction to RL.

By Jau-Jie Y

Jul 2, 2021

Very good explain, and included some real world example, like trunk assign.

The dynamic animation of grid world MDP calculation also was good, though I hope more slowly show the steps interval.

Thanks a lot

By Gökhan A

Oct 22, 2019

This course is very benificial for the people who want to attempt to the area of reinforcement learning. People should regularly follow the book in parallel to video lectures to benefit from this course.

By Lim G

Apr 15, 2020

This course is clear in its delivery. The examples were helpful in helping me grasp the concept. I understood the fundamentals of reinforcement learning and I am able to apply some basic element of it.

By Ahmet T

Jul 7, 2020

By Kaustubh S

Sep 2, 2019

All the concepts were well explained and this course was perhaps the best I have found for RL.

Great efforts have been put into making the course and It goes well in line with the suggested textbook.

By Hieu N T

Apr 8, 2020

By Shi Y

Oct 4, 2019

许多次尝试看UCL或者Sutton的课都中途放弃,太难了。而这个课程让我很轻松的入门且了解了最基本的东西。这个课程最不同的在于,学习时要配合上Sutton的书,课程和书互为补充,有些课程没有讲清楚的地方书中有很多解释,而书中生涩难懂的地方课程又有很形象详细的解释。体验极佳。特别感谢课程助教即使的回复。哪怕是书中的句子的问题助教都给出很详细的解释,真的很久没在Coursera上过这么棒的课了。

By Zhonghua Q

Sep 14, 2019

The course is well designed. It contains the essential material of RL and relates closely with the RL Bible textbook. And the programming assignment is also benifical to understanding the basics.

By Katherine L

Dec 4, 2020

This course was super helpful. I had tried a couple other online introductions to RL, but this was the only one where I could really engage and learn the material effectively. Would recommend!

By Yanghao W

Jul 14, 2021

Clear instruction and insightful exercises! Enjoy this course! Also, please read the book if you want to understand better about the course materials and rationales behind the exercises.

By Casey S S

Feb 11, 2021

This is a relatively gentle introduction for the mathematically sophisticated, but does well to set the stage for the rest of the specialization and introduce the newcomer to the field.

By César A S C

May 6, 2021

Fantastic course! I have been interested in Reinforcement Learning for a long time and this has been the best introduction I have found so far. It gave me the foundations on the field.

By Gagan J

Apr 26, 2020

The concepts are explained in a simple and illustrative manner which helps in getting a better understanding of the concepts. The assignments and quizzes are also really well designed.

By Ravi D

Apr 25, 2020

I was so confused about the fundamental concepts, but doing this course has given me a solid foundation of RL.

This is a must-do course if you are starting with Reinforcement Learning.