Back to Character Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Character Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

In this course you will explore concepts and approaches involved in creating successful character designs that can be applied to video games. Following a first week delving into some foundational concepts for successful character design, each of the remaining three weeks are structured as a master class where you will observe three professional character designers at work in the studio: Andy Ristaino (Adventure Time), Jacky Ke Jiang (Journey), and Robertryan Cory (SpongeBob SquarePants). Each designer will take on two different design challenges on the fly and address the various issues in designing characters for games, such as movement, expression, and technical limitations. At the end of each week you will have an opportunity to try out some of the concepts from that week's lesson on characters of your own design. This is a fun and engaging class especially useful for students interested in animation in film and TV as well as games, and is suitable for students of any drawing ability....

JM
Dec 21, 2016

As I said earlier, I recommend this course for everyone; doctors included (:\n\nI like how this course was treated in a different way. We see people doing the job on there ground, that's interesting.

AM
Nov 5, 2017

Fun and challenging to me. Is not easy to me to create new characters, but with this practice and professional examples, I feel more confident to just do and see what happens. Thank you, very much.

26 - 50 of 205 Reviews for Character Design for Video Games

By Mustafa A K

Apr 11, 2018

Loved the way Fran taught and laid out this course! The assignments were top notch; really required some creative thinking. And I enjoyed all 3 of the interviews. It was great to see the different perspectives of professional artists.

I'd totally recommend this course to anyone! It was a lot of fun!

By Tania

Feb 2, 2016

It's a great course I strongly recommend. Not only you are going to practise different character design through various exercises, but you are going to watch some great artist talking about their work while they are drawing. So interesting!

By Anush B

Jun 6, 2020

Wonderful course! It really helps in understanding the foundation in character design and shows how the characters you love were created. I definitely feel a lot more confident in my ability to design characters after this course.

By Dilara D

Nov 16, 2020

I really liked this course, and I learned a lot of valuable information from the most idiomatic people on this job.Before the course, I wasn't very good at designing different characters, but thanks to this course, I got over it.

By Aimee H

Feb 15, 2021

I really enjoyed this course! All the studio visits and lessons taught were really valuable to experience and learn from, every assignment given was exciting and fun to work toward and overall, I'm very happy I took this course.

By bruno m

Sep 21, 2017

Excellent course! I just have no words to explain how much I've learned here. Of course it's just the beginning and we should keep practising a lot after this course, but it's definitely be kept as reference for future projects.

By Xavier E

Apr 28, 2020

Brilliant course ! I really felt like I was actually visiting each designer's studio. Each of them were very inspiring, and the assignments were great fun ! Thanks CALART and especially Fran Krause for this wonderful course !

By Jairo A C M

Dec 9, 2020

It was fun and productive course. Each lesson takes you to think about function and appealing in the process of character design. I spent a good time drawing and understanding what I do. Really productive and useful!

By Kim N D R

This course was fun. I gained several new insights in designing a character, especially in the final week. Some things I kinda already had a grasp on, but this course really defined those things even more so.

By Bojan P

Apr 13, 2016

This course was great, like other courses from this series. But this one was especially hard for me because it requires a lot of drawing, something I'm not so good at.

But anyway, great course, recommended!

By Taciane M

Jun 24, 2019

I'm loving it, it's being awesome!

Each week's assignment is very cool and demands a different skill of us :D

I liked the topics very much, and I think it's great learning from other character designers!

By Melissa A

Dec 28, 2015

I love the set up of this course - the fact that we get to sit in on artists as they draw and talk about the design/decision making process out loud. I wish the world design course was set up this way.

By juan a c v

Sep 24, 2020

It was very fun, accessible and made me learn a lot! It was also super relaxing and not stressful at all which I appreciate a lot of a course taken during college classes time. Highly recommend it!

By Alejandro M G M

Nov 6, 2017

By Jazmine B

Aug 4, 2016

Good course, especially since you have the option to take it for free. Nice assignments that gets you to think outside the box or challenge. Recommend it if you wanna keep yourself busy and learn.

By Jad M

Dec 22, 2016

As I said earlier, I recommend this course for everyone; doctors included (:

By Rebecca W F

Feb 4, 2016

Not only did I learn more than I ever thought I would, but I had fun, as well! In fact, I liked this course so much that I've enrolled in another course offered within the same specialization.

By mixhead

Aug 28, 2017

I liked this course and I really enjoyed the assignments which were creative and exiting. Despite the fact that course is quite simple, for the beginners I had a lot of pleasure out of it!

By Kristen F

Jun 19, 2017

This class was really fun and the assignments were engaging. I think it is a great way to get your mind centered around the idea of character design, not just for games but for anything.

By 万锦阳

Jun 17, 2017

It's really good to learn from professional artists.

Though I think the homework in week 4 did not describe its requirements clearly so that many students including me felt very confused.

By Lord C G

had a lot of fun. by going to this course, I learned new things like Density, more points on proportion, and I was able to set a mood or tell a story just with my drawings. thank you :)

By Jesus C

Jan 13, 2016

The 3 masterclasses are so awesome... You will not only learn a ton about character design, but also about professional work, design, communication... These 3 artists are so inspiring!

By Gabriel C F

Nov 22, 2017

Es un excelente curso para ver como artistas reales (y muy buenos) crean y conceptualizan personajes. Además las tareas están muy bien hechas y hacen a tu creatividad trabajar.

By Azraf N B

Apr 6, 2020

A very beautifully designed course. The assignments help to raise your inner talents and the classes make you realize a lot about life not just only about character design.

By Alexis I I

Feb 27, 2017

I loved it! Watching all this great artists working and giving you advices is so useful. This course really help me to design characters in a more creative way.