Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN

Apr 13, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG

Feb 13, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

451 - 475 of 554 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Angela H

Oct 16, 2017

The course was great! I really enjoyed the instructor and his puppet. Grading suffered a bit from the peer review system, so maybe not make 100% of the course grade depend on peer feedback. Overall, you get what you put into the course. I put a lot of work into designing my games, and learned a lot in the process.

By Shrubin S

Oct 12, 2015

Starting third week now, and I'm sold on learning by doing.

The classes are great, very easy to maintain focus because of how much variety Fran Krause brings to his lectures.

The best part, in my opinion, is going through the games of other people out there because of so many diverse ideas they bring to the table.

By Ansh W

Jan 04, 2018

Frank is a little too plain while explaining things which makes it a little difficult to understand. A bit more expression and gestures while speaking would have made it easier. Otherwise, it is a very good course carrying amazing content and learning potential. Thanks a lot for this CalArts and Coursera!

By Ariana R

Aug 29, 2020

The professor is funny and explains the concepts in a simple manner. The examples are great and I learned a lot. I had trouble with the assignment because it kept asking to add stuff each week, but still limiting to one page and my project was a little complex, so I had to resort to make everything tiny.

By Michael C

Aug 25, 2016

This course is a very good intro course. The instructor Fran is both informative and funny. Fran really offers some great advice on how to think in terms of ways to develop and test your game in different ways. I thought it was certainly worth it and I think you would think the same too!

By Mark B

Nov 28, 2017

Course is largely informative. However, the weekly assignments are peer graded. One other student plagiarized my work and tried to pass it as his own. I reported it, but Coursea has not responded. Not sure if they care. It seems like you can get away with anything.

By Sanne C

Apr 05, 2016

The course material is funny and easy to follow, it breaks down important aspects of game design into easy chunks and assignments. As for reviews I feel like you get back what put in, if you make the effort for someone else you will get in return.

By Davide

Feb 09, 2016

Even if it is a really simple course, I found it interesting and fun, even the homework were really funny to do. Much better than the second one.

I just say that pricing is too high for a course that actually put 1/2 basic concept for each video.

By Rajeev R J

Aug 21, 2018

I think the classes were awesome and the assignments were very cool. However, the quality of feedbacks I received in the peer-reviewed assignments left much to be desired.

This is a good first course for someone who is stepping into game design.

By Stanisław P

Dec 22, 2015

Good course, I enjoyed the fact that there was a lot of hands-on work rather than just lectures, however, there could be more of the latter aswell. Quizes would be nice too.

The quality of the course is very high. Thank you for this course. :)

By Somesh N

Oct 30, 2015

I liked the fact that the course starts from and covers the very basics. The videos were fun to watch and the course taught a lot through the assignments. With very less time commitment , the course taught me to make my first board game.

By Viktoras B

Sep 20, 2015

The course was quite helpful. I've been trying to make games already, but never knew where to start designing the game. Unfortunately it's quite short which was disappointing. I would never pay 80$ for a couple hours of video with basics

By Tsur D

Sep 20, 2020

it was fun, but i feel that there wasn't enough content, it was a really basic intro.

The missions were fun.

It was a very easy intro course to game design.

Should be skipped if you have any previous experience in game design

By Amin R

Sep 22, 2015

Simple and fun method of education. short length videos, kind instructor and fun assignments.

i have learned some basics in game world. i like this course and thanks to coursera,calARTS,Fran and his cool puppet friend :)

By Melissa C

May 23, 2019

I think this was a great course for a person like myself who wanted to start learning about Game Design but really had no experience. I enjoyed to class and love the flexibility with being able to take it all on

By Devin C

Dec 14, 2015

Instructor was fun, but a little stiff. It's his first time teaching, so I can forgive it though. The work was a little tedious. I wish there was more variety in the assignments than just updating the same game.

By Sushobhit B

Dec 27, 2016

A very basic course to start off the game design career. Great if you want to start right from the ground stage and make your way up! Complex concepts broken down and put ever so simply! Try it out!

By whipexx

Mar 07, 2016

Really good introduction to game design and to the rest of the courses.

It does not have five stars because the task could be felt as repetitive if you started with a more developed idea from week 1.

By alexandre a d l

Jan 27, 2016

good course, really an introduction =)

But the teacher is always reading a "Teleprompter".

He is not spontaneous... Except when He uses RPG to demonstrate an example ;-)

But the content is great

By Borja R N

Aug 13, 2019

Nice way to explain and cool exercises to do if you are interested on the course. The only thing that isn't that good is the peer calification system, not everyone takes the course seriously.

By Joel L

Jan 07, 2016

Simple, clean course that focuses beautifully on the core of what is being taught.

Also very enjoyable vibe to the instructor and the assignments; there's a puppet as a TA... enough said. :)

By Jin, Y

Oct 20, 2015

There's only peer review in this course, which didn't provide the evaluation on your actually level on design skill. It's really just a 4 weeks intro, super easy to achieve the full marks.

By Francisco N

Dec 03, 2015

The course was fun and the progression through the weeks assignments was good. The contents were presented in a interesting way and were pertinent, but i would know a little more deeper.

By Craig B

Mar 08, 2018

Simple to follow, good for absolute beginners. Even if you find you are already familiar with some of the content, the course helps better articulate this understanding.

By E. C C

Nov 19, 2016

Funny introduction to game design. Not too serious, which I think is what some people need to loosen up and start with a playful mindset. (See what I did there?)