Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

TN
Apr 12, 2020

I really loved doing this course. Learnt how to make a simple game and make it really interesting! I loved how the easily the instructor was able to teach us and make us curious throughout the course.

DG
Feb 12, 2020

The lecture videos from Professor Fran and his old friend were surprisingly entertaining. Kudos to the team because they were able to make it fun, informative, and engaging throughout the four weeks.

76 - 100 of 633 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Marina Z

Jul 31, 2016

I wasn't really interested in basic concepts of game design, but couldn't stop watching videos until the very end of the course! Blue pal is awesome! Also, I was glad that the assignments are open even for those who don't pay for course

By Болтышев М Г

Jun 7, 2021

I liked the course very much, an important part of the course was the opportunity to create your own game and share with other players. With each video, the game got better and more interesting. Thanks to the creators of the course.

By Alexander G

Feb 13, 2016

Very good course. Learned new information that proved to be useful regarding game design and also designed a board game to play with colleagues at the office. If you want to learn game design this is a great and easy way to start.

By Molly H

Jun 21, 2020

I like the homework part very much, which makes me constantly recall what I have learned in the course. Besides, every homework is a good experience for me, I spend a lot of time on it, and I pay great attention to it every time.

By Diego G

Jun 1, 2020

It was a really fun and educational experience. Improving the game from the simplest possible one player game to a narrative driven multiplayer experience week by week gave a lot of insight and practical challenges to learn from.

By Xavier E

Apr 2, 2020

Brilliant course ! It goes straight to the point, and the videos are super fun ! I've progressed a lot in my game design comprehension ! Thanks "Calarts" and HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE thanks to Fran Krause for this wonderful course !

By Samuel S

Nov 8, 2015

Great introductory course! Everything is very well explained and you really feel how your project develops through the week. I expected it to be a bit more technical and less theoretical, but everything is still very well made

By Miguel A P S

Feb 9, 2021

This course was incredibly educational and fun!! The assignments were simple yet made you think how you could improve your games in every way. I really hope whoever joins this course has as much fun as i did while learning :)

By Varun N

Jun 13, 2020

The short, brief videos that explain the basics of game design in a very informative and humorous way made this course an absolute joy to learn. The fun assignments and extremely supportive peers made the course even better.

By Sarah P

Sep 27, 2015

I have been really enjoying this course! The professor is engaging in the videos and he explains things well. I also really like the assignments and the games are fun to make and review. I am learning a lot from this course!

By Матюшенко У А

Apr 19, 2020

Это было полезно и познавательно. Подача материала очень простая, но при этом я узнала много новых вещей о геймдизайне. Программирование в курсе не нужно! Вы просто знакомитесь с азами создания механики игры, ее нарратива.

By Aripov L

Sep 10, 2016

Only just pass, but I was very interested in since the first week! Fun and cute teacher and his puppet assistant! Everything taught is easy, with the mind and can quite understand even to those who don't know English.

By Kaoê F P R P

Jun 9, 2021

This course is very good, an excellent start for those who are looking to start learning about game development, the teacher explains the points of the course in an easy to understand way. I really loved the course.

By Mohamed K E H

Mar 15, 2021

This course is a good introduction to game design, and doing the assignments with my fellow peers is nice, we give each other feedback on our progress and the weekly assignment pushes us to make some creative stuff.

By Sofia A M

Nov 16, 2016

The course is incredibly well done, the video lessons are great, the teacher is very good and the students are participative. The only thing that got a bit behind was a deepening, although the tasks were laborious.

By Daniel J C

Dec 3, 2015

I enjoyed the teacher. He made the class interesting. He introduced interesting concepts and made them enjoyable for the class. The class made me dabble in art which something I wish I could do more. Thank you!

By Thomas D

Oct 9, 2015

Good course, gets you thinking about the important things in Games - why we play them in the first place. Great teacher - mad as a hat! Kept things jovial and fun with good explanations in a professional course

By Xin P

Jan 3, 2016

Interesting course! Game design is a pretty important idea for my major and this course give me further insights into the topic and I get to know more about how to design a better game for my target audience!

By Samin M

Jun 30, 2020

It's a really good course to start with for anyone who wants to know how games work or wants to get into game development.Credit to everyone involved in the course for making it so interesting and insightful

By Herman B

Apr 25, 2020

This course allowed me to make the first step to doing the most important thing in being in the games industry; making games. Thanks to Prof Kruse and all the others for making the content engaging, and fun!

By Wallace N O

Jan 29, 2016

I was a big fan of the character design for video games course, and i thought i wouldn't like any other more than that... but i was wrong, i loved completing this course, and loved the result of my own game.

By Jahleel K B

Apr 13, 2017

I have learned a lot. Very simple and direct to the point lessons and assignments were very helpful to deeply understand each week's lesson. All the peers are very open and helpful as well. A+ community!

By Marek J

May 20, 2019

Really liked the course - very important insights and excellent presentation of the content. By creating your own games and reviewing other actual games it's easier to learn teh content. Was fun, too!

By Pedro A

Aug 7, 2016

This was a very enlightening course! I have played some games through my life, but now I have the knowledge of a person who studies to the develop my own game. I'll recommend it to all my friends.

By Thiha K

Jun 20, 2021

As someone who plays video game for his whole life, this is the course I can relate everything with the games I have played in my life. This course lead me to the journey where I want to start.