Back to General Chemistry: Concept Development and Application

Learner Reviews & Feedback for General Chemistry: Concept Development and Application by Rice University

This course will cover the topics of a full year, two semester General Chemistry course. We will use a free on-line textbook, Concept Development Studies in Chemistry, available via Rice’s Connexions project. The fundamental concepts in the course will be introduced via the Concept Development Approach developed at Rice University. In this approach, we will develop the concepts you need to know from experimental observations and scientific reasoning rather than simply telling you the concepts and then asking you to simply memorize or apply them. So why use this approach? One reason is that most of us are inductive learners, meaning that we like to make specific observations and then generalize from there. Many of the most significant concepts in Chemistry are counter-intuitive. When we see where those concepts come from, we can more readily accept them, explain them, and apply them. A second reason is that scientific reasoning in general and Chemistry reasoning in particular are inductive processes. This Concept Development approach illustrates those reasoning processes. A third reason is that this is simply more interesting! The structure and reactions of matter are fascinating puzzles to be solved by observation and reasoning. It is more fun intellectually when we can solve those puzzles together, rather than simply have the answers to the riddles revealed at the outset. Recommended Background: The class can be taken by someone with no prior experience in chemistry. However, some prior familiarity with the basics of chemistry is desirable as we will cover some elements only briefly. For example, a prior high school chemistry class would be helpful. Suggested Readings: Readings will be assigned from the on-line textbook “Concept Development Studies in Chemistry”, available via Rice’s Connexions project. In addition, we will suggest readings from any of the standard textbooks in General Chemistry. A particularly good free on-line resource is Dickerson, Gray, and Haight, "Chemical Principles, 3rd Edition". Links to these two texts will be available in the Introduction module....

ZK
Aug 28, 2015

If I'd had access to this material when I first failed freshman chemistry 40 years ago, I probably wouldn't have failed. Kudos to Dean Hutchinson for bringing us his innovative approach.

BM
Oct 1, 2018

DEMAND\n\nI would inform you that i wish to receive my certificate according to general chemistry :concept development and application, then your feed back will rejoice more thank you.

76 - 100 of 151 Reviews for General Chemistry: Concept Development and Application

By 18UCHA041

Aug 2, 2020

It was new study approach. It was different and it always kept me on my toes. I kept questioning and understanding topics from different perspectives throughout. Thank you

By Md. R U C

Jun 9, 2020

I enjoyed the course very much. None of the lectures was boring. Mr Steven Hutchinson is a dedicated teacher. I'll ensure to keep up my way of learning.

By Revathy R

Jul 13, 2020

Thank you Dr. John Steven Hutchinson. The course was systematically covered and questions were challenging too. Looking forward to your next course.

By Igbaroola S A

Aug 12, 2020

This course has been quite amazing. I hope to apply it in my further knowledge of concept in chemistry.

By Abhishek P

I explore chemical kinetics and equilibrium. Further, i learned some new concepts as well.

By Suthakaran k

Dec 6, 2020

Exam papers are really great because each questions are very intelligent and bravely

By DrSHAIK L

Jul 25, 2020

Thanks to course community, I have to enjoyed this course.

By

Dr. SHAIK LAKSHMAN

By sjpradeeba C

Jul 9, 2020

Excellent course. I have completed the course but i didnt receive certificate

By Dr. C K

May 2, 2020

good basic learning program,thank you to the Professor for easy expaination.

By MARY A M T

Oct 13, 2020

Thank you so much for this cousre. I get more ideas. Really interesting...

By Alvin I

Aug 6, 2020

This course is amazing. It helped me to understand chemistry in a fun way.

By Marc H

Jun 14, 2017

The concept development method of learning was very effective. Thank you!

By Fernando d S M

Oct 26, 2015

Very Very good, if you want to learn something just try these classes !!!

By Lalita S B

Sep 2, 2020

This course is helpful for understanding basic concept in chemistry

By Glenn E M

May 14, 2020

Much more challenging than expected for a general chemistry course.

By Poliane m a

Sep 28, 2020

Experiência diferente e muito complexa rica em muitos detalhes.

By Jonathan L

Jan 25, 2016

The concept development approach is a much better way to learn!

By Stéphane H

Mar 26, 2019

Very insightful course ... very well explained and progressive

By Chen C

Sep 30, 2015

really helpful advice, completed content with acceptable depth

By Yumna N

Good experience...Sir i have not received my certificate yet.

By Sidharth D

Oct 2, 2015

Excellently delivered..... High clarity and focus on concepts

By lawrence a

Apr 14, 2018

excellent course. Gives basic concepts that one must learn.

By Roshen R I

Dec 4, 2020

Truly scientific method of learning science and chemistry

By Chandrashekhar P P

Jul 15, 2020

One of the best teacher for learning Chemistry. Great.

By Jeffrey L F

Jun 24, 2020

I love this course. Worthy of my time and effort.