Back to Introduction to Genetics and Evolution

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Genetics and Evolution by Duke University

Introduction to Genetics and Evolution is a college-level class being offered simultaneously to new students at Duke University. The course gives interested people a very basic overview of some principles behind these very fundamental areas of biology. We often hear about new "genome sequences," commercial kits that can tell you about your ancestry (including pre-human) from your DNA or disease predispositions, debates about the truth of evolution, why animals behave the way they do, and how people found "genetic evidence for natural selection." This course provides the basic biology you need to understand all of these issues better, tries to clarify some misconceptions, and tries to prepare students for future, more advanced coursework in Biology (and especially evolutionary genetics). No prior coursework is assumed....

YH

Jul 04, 2017

The course is really interesting! I love the way the professor demonstrate genetics theories by countless examples and evidence. And those questions about debates in genetics are thought-provoking!

TN

Sep 28, 2017

Very good course that prepared me for Genetics at Pima Community College in Tucson. I am able to follow the lectures and actually understand what is being presented. I am glad I took this course.

1 - 25 of 156 Reviews for Introduction to Genetics and Evolution

By Vanessa C d C L

Jan 17, 2017

I really enjoyed the classes and the supplemental materials available. I loved how the lessons were taught and explained by Dr. Mohamed Noor and I really enjoyed the content of the classes.

By Ramanuja-Chary A

Jul 06, 2018

Thoroughly enjoying the course content. I am a Software Engineer and am doing this course out of personal interest. I was a bit hesitant if I would be able to sustain the interest through the length of the course. Dr. Mohamed Noor has done an amazing job in introducing and building on the concepts week after week. My sincere thanks to the Dr. Mohamed Noor and Duke University for offering this course online.

By Patrick M

Aug 09, 2019

Really great course. Has a lot of interesting real life examples and covers all of the basics of genetics in comprehensive detail. Really glad I did the course and hope to use the knowledge gained in my future career.

By Iromi W

Jan 08, 2016

Excellent course. Would recommend it to anyone who wants to delve in the subject matter. Wonderful instructor and interesting lecture videos. One of the best courses I have taken in Coursera.

By Leah S

Dec 17, 2018

Thank you! I feel very prepared to take Introduction to Genetics next semester at my college.

By Karolina M

Dec 04, 2018

Such a good course. My background is ecology and nature conservation and i am trying to get more into phylogenetics. This course was a nice introduction and coherent summary of important topics tying together evolution and genetics as an intro to phylogenetics.

By MD N H

Jan 11, 2019

Good way to improve basic of Genetics.

By 何奕丹

Jan 23, 2019

我可以学到很多课上没涉及到的知识和解题方法

By harshal D

Feb 18, 2019

its an awesome review for genetics college class.

By DeeDee S

Feb 20, 2019

Dr. Noor is an amazing professor and explains course material very well. I would definitely take more of his courses!

By Matt B

Mar 29, 2019

Very thorough introduction to the subject. As someone who comes from a math background, the biological terms and theory were explained very well. Dr. Noor was an excellent teacher.

By Marek C

Sep 24, 2018

Comprehensive, accurate difficulty level and interesting.

By Alon D

Sep 16, 2018

Dr. Noor is a gifted teacher, and the exciting topics are presented in an absorbing way.

By Maria E P M

Aug 12, 2018

I wish I had done this months earlier! I have spent a lot of time just trying to read and synthesize things on my own, but nothing beats a great lecturer that can just help you focus on the key things to understand and remember.

By Yomna N S

Aug 18, 2018

Dr. Mohamed Noor

I really appreciate your way of teaching, you're the reason why I loved Genetics . Thank you for every thing. I really recommend this course for every one, God bless you, Dr Mohamed

By S M J

Oct 06, 2018

I have found the explanation in this course very intuitive and well suited for making me understand basic genetic topics that is very important for further complex studies of genetics. Really well put together and would highly recommend everyone to try the course.

By Fatai A O

Nov 19, 2018

It was very helpful

By leslie l

Mar 01, 2016

Great course for all. I go into a coma when it comes to doing math. I hate it. I like science so was happy to find that this course explains concepts including the math in a clear concise and comprehensible fashion. And Dr Khan is a fun dude who conveys his love of the subject in a snappy interesting manner. I would like more courses in genetics that can do this.

By Mark A N

Jan 13, 2016

Great introductory course! I am learning a lot about genetics.

By Luka Ž

Jun 11, 2016

One of the best courses here at Coursera.

By Manish G

Jun 20, 2017

A really interesting course on genetics and evolution. Clarifies the basic concepts and has thought provoking quizzes. Very well presented by Dr Noor.

By Asar

Jan 25, 2016

Amazing professor. I am really enjoying this course. Thank you!

By James C

Oct 20, 2016

Excellent course. A must take for anyone interested in DNA, Genetics, or Ancestry.

By Muhammed S

Feb 11, 2017

A very talented professor, a broad course material covering much information.

By Sindhura

Jun 27, 2016

The lectures are very informative.