Back to Genome Sequencing (Bioinformatics II)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Genome Sequencing (Bioinformatics II) by University of California San Diego

You may have heard a lot about genome sequencing and its potential to usher in an era of personalized medicine, but what does it mean to sequence a genome? Biologists still cannot read the nucleotides of an entire genome as you would read a book from beginning to end. However, they can read short pieces of DNA. In this course, we will see how graph theory can be used to assemble genomes from these short pieces. We will further learn about brute force algorithms and apply them to sequencing mini-proteins called antibiotics. In the first half of the course, we will see that biologists cannot read the 3 billion nucleotides of a human genome as you would read a book from beginning to end. However, they can read shorter fragments of DNA. In this course, we will see how graph theory can be used to assemble genomes from these short pieces in what amounts to the largest jigsaw puzzle ever put together. In the second half of the course, we will discuss antibiotics, a topic of great relevance as antimicrobial-resistant bacteria like MRSA are on the rise. You know antibiotics as drugs, but on the molecular level they are short mini-proteins that have been engineered by bacteria to kill their enemies. Determining the sequence of amino acids making up one of these antibiotics is an important research problem, and one that is similar to that of sequencing a genome by assembling tiny fragments of DNA. We will see how brute force algorithms that try every possible solution are able to identify naturally occurring antibiotics so that they can be synthesized in a lab. Finally, you will learn how to apply popular bioinformatics software tools to sequence the genome of a deadly Staphylococcus bacterium that has acquired antibiotics resistance....

SV

Jan 10, 2017

Great course to explore a bit of Bioinformatics for those with no background in Bioinformatics. I love the way the content has been provided, its interactivity increases the interest in the course.

MP

Dec 08, 2017

I like the real-world tasks, especially the assembly on the final exam. Some of the programming tasks, such as the antibiotic noisy spectrum assembly, are challenging (which is good).

26 - 41 of 41 Reviews for Genome Sequencing (Bioinformatics II)

By Weidong X

Jul 30, 2016

good course!

By Paolo B

May 09, 2017

Excellent and fun introduction to sequencing techniques. I found it harder than Bioinformatics I, but worth the effort.

By Mihai P

Dec 08, 2017

By Tomasz K

May 11, 2017

Great!

By Zack X

Jul 21, 2019

In depth and comprehensive coverage of the topics in genetic data analysis.

By Rudramani P

Aug 24, 2019

This one is great introductory course for physicist like who knows the computing but lacks biological background.

By Jorge I F R

Aug 09, 2018

good introduction :)

By Hilda P E

Aug 21, 2018

The course needs updates EXAMPLE: The version 3.0 for spades doesn't give the statistics and if you do a new version it doesn't give you the same data. I think this happened to other students, but we used Quast that it was later described in the instructions, but if it wasn't because someone suggested it in the discussion I would have follow the same path of using a new version that would have given me wrong data.

Thank you so much, This course has been helping me a lot.

CHEERS!!!

By Shweta C

Oct 05, 2017

Great course for beginning in Genome sequencing..

By ChenYuexi

Jun 22, 2017

There is no debug dataset like the previous course, which means you will get stuck longer.

By Juanjo B

Apr 29, 2019

The instruction material was slightly less helpful than in bioinformatics I.

By Meng Z

Sep 15, 2019

This course is great, but some times I can't open the dataset to test my code. I wish this can be fixed.

By Diego J M G

Jul 12, 2018

Great Materials but bad support

By Ryan B

May 06, 2019

Long waits for peer review....ruins what is a good course.

By Ксения

Sep 06, 2017

Spend a huge amount of time because of mistakes in tasks!

By Melinda B

May 24, 2019

The UCSD affiliation is really the only reason to do this course. It is so much harder than it needs to be.