Back to Fundamentals of GIS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of GIS by University of California, Davis

Explore the world of spatial analysis and cartography with geographic information systems (GIS). In this class you will learn the basics of the industry’s leading software tool, ArcGIS, during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn how GIS grew from paper maps to the globally integrated electronic software packages of today. You will install ArcGIS on your computer and learn how to use online help to answer technical questions. Week 2: Open up ArcGIS and explore data using ArcMap. Learn the foundational concepts of GIS, how to analyze data, and make your first map. Week 3: Make your own maps! Symbolize data and create an eye-catching final product. Week 4: Share your data and maps and learn to store and organize your data. Take Fundamentals of GIS as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. By completing the first class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program. Students who need an ArcGIS license will receive a non-commercial, 1 year student license for participation in this course and specialization....

A
May 16, 2021

GREAT COURSE TO JUMPSTART FOR ANY NEW LEARNERS IN THE FIELD OF GIS. It is extremely helpful to learn the basics & the projects help any new learners to understand what kind of work is done in ArcGIS.

VM
Oct 4, 2020

I finished the course, I do not know why it indicates to me as if I had not finished\n\nI would like answer, please. My email: vic_vmrm@hotmail.com\n\nWhy don't answer me?\n\nRegards\n\nVictor Ramon

301 - 325 of 1,400 Reviews for Fundamentals of GIS

By Natasha J

Mar 9, 2019

Great course for an introduction into GIS and ARCMAP. Teacher has put a lot of effort into the course and the exercises help to get the basics of ArcMAP. Can highly recommend it.

By Khalid Q

Aug 18, 2016

Excellent course and delivered in a very professional practical. A very property of the course is that it is short and precise. By the way all courses of Coursera a very precise.

By Kali L

May 4, 2021

You get what you put into it! I took GIS in college but needed a refresher, this intro course reminded me how interesting GIS can be and really helped me get back into practice.

By JAYA S S

Sep 28, 2020

Its a very helpful course offered by the UC Davis. It is a revision as well as chance to learn new concepts of GIS. I will definitely recommend this course to the GIS aspirants.

By Karl H

Nov 19, 2019

Very elaborate. It has little practicality to talk to much about data science cases, SQL as well and so on. I liked the fact that it spent time showing much items within ArcGIS.

By Zaheer A

May 2, 2019

Thank you Cousera and UC Davis for offering such a comprehensive course. This course has strengthened my GIS skill and it will definitely contribute significantly in my carrier.

By Gabriela G B F

May 14, 2019

This course is very engaging and complete. Perfect for beginners. The contents are thorough, but not overly complicated and the book recommended for practicing is very helpful.

By Juliana G d C A

Apr 6, 2018

Extremely good and important course. I really enjoyed to enroll, although for beginners I think that is too much information to absorb at once. Congratulations to all the team.

By بهاء ع ح ع

Feb 14, 2018

Courses of Information Systems Geography and Remote Sensing These beautiful courses have provided me with your help and courses in which you have learned a lot thanks to you

By Cornelia H

Jun 22, 2017

I found this course great to start working with ArcGIS and I feel like I have learned the important basics so that I am well prepared to continue going deeper into the program.

By Luayi S A G

May 23, 2017

This course is very enjoyable from the beginningThe teacher explanation method is very distinctive, and the media used is excellent.The scientific material is also appropriate.

By AMAN B

May 3, 2020

The most fundamental yet comprehensive lectures on GIS you'd not get anywhere else. Additionally you get to practice what you learn which is rare to find. Highly recommended!

By Javier P C

Jun 7, 2017

Very appropriate course for those who are complete beginners on GIS. Explains the core concepts of the discipline and the basic use of ArcGIS, with academic license included.

By Rabi S

May 28, 2021

Amazing course for beginners who want to explore GIS. I recommend this course to every GIS enthusiasts to learn more about GIS, GIS Data analysis, Cartography and many more.

By Caroline S

Feb 14, 2019

While I already had a basic understanding of GIS, I felt this course went through the material much quicker and provided multiple ways to reach an answer or solve a problem.

By bahareh k

Jan 29, 2018

I really appreciate for these courses which make us closer to our goal. I am really happy to take these courses and learned alot to be successful in my future career. Thanks

By Simon T

Jun 25, 2017

Awesome course. Nick Santos is a phenomenal instructor! Provides a lucid introduction to geographic information systems. I will take more courses in this specialization.

By Enrique R L

Jan 2, 2021

Very interesting course, it gave us a set of fundamental knowledge that made possible to feel comfortable using ArcGIS.

With no doubt, I recommend this outstanding course.

By Bibash G

Apr 27, 2020

It's really helpful and very informative course! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole course and this course is best for beginners! Thank you Nick Santos, UC DAVIS and Coursera!

By Anna-Charlotte L

Feb 15, 2019

Proivdes an in-depth introduction of how to create maps using ArcGIS, alternatives of the software and the background of mapping, for example what projections are and what

By Tomas B M

Nov 24, 2018

Great course! Everything I needed for a successful start in ArcGIS. The step-by-step assignments were especially useful and well-adjusted to what the learner needs to see.

By Farid K

Mar 10, 2018

super easy and super fun I can not belive that I learned the basic of GIS so fast. the professor is smart he simplify everything . Also ESRI give you free access to ARCmap

By Andrés F P R

Mar 18, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. Very useful and easy to understand the instructor's speech. If you're new to GIS, this course is where you should start. Highly recommended!!

By Gidon W

Jun 24, 2020

Very accessible, well constructed course. The video lectures are easy to follow and the assignments are designed to give the student room to practice and learn even more.

By Sonia L A S

Mar 23, 2018

I love this course, and the way it is organized. I enjoy being taught by Nick Santos because it is evident his professionalism and knowledge. See you in the next course!!