Back to Fundamentals of GIS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of GIS by University of California, Davis

Explore the world of spatial analysis and cartography with geographic information systems (GIS). In this class you will learn the basics of the industry’s leading software tool, ArcGIS, during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn how GIS grew from paper maps to the globally integrated electronic software packages of today. You will install ArcGIS on your computer and learn how to use online help to answer technical questions. Week 2: Open up ArcGIS and explore data using ArcMap. Learn the foundational concepts of GIS, how to analyze data, and make your first map. Week 3: Make your own maps! Symbolize data and create an eye-catching final product. Week 4: Share your data and maps and learn to store and organize your data. Take Fundamentals of GIS as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. By completing the first class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program. Students who need an ArcGIS license will receive a non-commercial, 1 year student license for participation in this course and specialization....

A
May 16, 2021

GREAT COURSE TO JUMPSTART FOR ANY NEW LEARNERS IN THE FIELD OF GIS. It is extremely helpful to learn the basics & the projects help any new learners to understand what kind of work is done in ArcGIS.

VM
Oct 4, 2020

I finished the course, I do not know why it indicates to me as if I had not finished\n\nI would like answer, please. My email: vic_vmrm@hotmail.com\n\nWhy don't answer me?\n\nRegards\n\nVictor Ramon

451 - 475 of 1,375 Reviews for Fundamentals of GIS

By Elizabeth P

Mar 22, 2016

This course is great! Make sure you try and do the assignments without the step by step directions and the end will be a breeze!

By Patrick B C

Jun 2, 2020

I thought the instructor did a good job of giving an overview of GIS. Also liked the introduction on how to use ArcGIS Desktop.

By Mohamed I E S

Jul 8, 2018

very good and useful but try to finish it fast as u can cause at the final week u have to get review a task by 2 in the course.

By Goran P

Nov 6, 2017

A very good introduction to GIS and I really mastered basic knowledge of ArcMap in a very short time.

I certainly recommend it.

By Evan R

Jul 25, 2017

This course is exactly what a beginner needs to know! Very well explained the basic ideas and great hands on materials as well.

By Abigail S

Mar 23, 2021

Even though I had a working knowledge of ArcGIS I learned so much in this course. Would highly recommend to just about anyone.

By MD. F R S

Jul 18, 2020

This course is awesome. Nick Santos is a very friendly teacher and he teaches in a way which is very convenient to understand.

By Md. A S

Oct 27, 2018

This course is just awesome. All course materials and teaching methods are so interesting. I have learned a lot as a beginner.

By Ashley C

Oct 22, 2016

Great course! I took a GIS class a couple of years ago, but have not used the software since then. It was a great refresher!

By Long P

Jul 17, 2016

A very useful course! I am now working with the GIS, and this course really helps me to solve a plenty of problems. Thank you.

By oyesode t

Sep 16, 2020

I've learnt alot about GIS by doing this course. All the classes and assignments was student friendly. Thumbs up to Coursera.

By Veronica S

Aug 4, 2020

Very informative, a bit challenging, but manageable. I appreciate that the ArcGIS license is included with course enrollment.

By Purav

Mar 4, 2019

Course which teaches you the fundamentals at an easy pace and provides additional help for assessments and advanced learning

By Fernanda P

Sep 5, 2017

It's an excellent course. I really enjoyed it even though I had never had any ArcGIS experience before. It's well explained!

By Pramesh R

Feb 26, 2017

This is a great course for anyone who seeks to understand and use GIS for educational purpose as well as professional level.

By Sourav B

Mar 21, 2016

Excellent course. Learned a lot of things about fundamentals of GIS. Thanks to Nick Santos, UC Davis and Coursera Community.

By Ostap F

Oct 20, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. Anyone who is motivated and wants to improve GIS software skills can definitely do it in here.

By Douglas F R C L

Jun 15, 2020

Very good course, it gave me a very useful introduction on ArGIS, and allowed me to enhace my previous knowledge about GIS.

By Michelle

May 7, 2020

So much better than any of the previous courses I have done .. FINALLY .. I understand the fundamentals of GIS - thank you!

By Edgar V

Dec 5, 2017

Excellent course. Nick's explanations are very clear; the assignments are great practice. It is a very well planned course.

By Jasper S

Jun 9, 2017

Well organized and structured. Gives you basic knowledge of GIS to be able to view projects or to build upon in the future.

By Mauro d T

Jan 3, 2017

Nick Santos is the greatest instructor! I came from not ever having opened ArcGIS to making simple maps in the second week.

By Erha F

Jan 2, 2021

A very good productive course in general! The peer-review final homework set higher standards for this course than others.

By Diannah B

Feb 8, 2021

I learned a lot, though I'm a hands on learner so I needed the books to help me out when it came to the final assignment.