Back to Fundamentals of GIS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of GIS by University of California, Davis

Explore the world of spatial analysis and cartography with geographic information systems (GIS). In this class you will learn the basics of the industry’s leading software tool, ArcGIS, during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn how GIS grew from paper maps to the globally integrated electronic software packages of today. You will install ArcGIS on your computer and learn how to use online help to answer technical questions. Week 2: Open up ArcGIS and explore data using ArcMap. Learn the foundational concepts of GIS, how to analyze data, and make your first map. Week 3: Make your own maps! Symbolize data and create an eye-catching final product. Week 4: Share your data and maps and learn to store and organize your data. Take Fundamentals of GIS as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. By completing the first class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program. Students who need an ArcGIS license will receive a non-commercial, 1 year student license for participation in this course and specialization....

BJ

Dec 28, 2018

the content is awesome. i would recommend it to those who need to have some basic knowledge of GIS. it's very easy to learn the ArcGIS because of the instructions and demos given by the instructor.

JA

May 04, 2020

Muy buen curso, me sirvió mucho, aprendí demasiado sobre las cosas básicas y el profesor es muy bueno !! Super recomendado si no saben nada de GIS y están empezando a comprender las herramientas

151 - 175 of 1,137 Reviews for Fundamentals of GIS

By wamunyima k

Apr 04, 2020

This journey has been good for me especially lessons by our lecturer Nick Santos gives very clear and descriptive explanations. Its very interesting to lean this course. its really helpful to me, wish my friend can join me, because this course is not common but can be applied in all the sectors

By Luke F

May 05, 2020

Good introduction to GIS. I thought I knew the fundamentals because I've played around with QGIS before and made some simple maps, but this course was more rigorous and taught me some GIS tools, standards and things to watch out for when geoprocessing that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

By Lourdes J

May 12, 2018

This was a great refresher course for me. it goes beyond basics to discuss troubleshooting ArcMap, sharing the map on the web, implementing a variety of symoblogy types, geoprocessing (spatial joins, etc.) your data, and making map books, all with practicality AND proper procedure in mind.

By Thomas L

Jul 24, 2017

Incredible course- extremely informative and does a spectacular job at preparing one for other specialties in GIS. This introductory course opens doors for further study in GIS, Urban Planning, and Environmental Policy and Law, and allows a functional understanding of the basics of ArcGIS.

By Denise P

May 15, 2016

Easy to understand overview of basic GIS concepts and how to apply them in ArcGIS. The short videos fit into a busy day and can be slipped in between work and home life. Forums are easily accessible with helpful input from the instructor as well as experienced students. Highly recommended.

By Kiran K G

Feb 12, 2020

It is the best course which covers all the essential basics which you need to know about GIS as a beginner. I highly recommend this course if you have 5-6 hours per week. You will appreciate this course once you complete it. I am looking forward to the next module in this specialization.

By Andrew K

Nov 04, 2019

Great introduction to the basic concepts of GIS. I took a GIS class in undergrad roughly eight years ago and wanted to brush up, and this class definitely helped with that. I recommend buying the textbook they recommend having as it gives extra practice than what is offered in the class.

By Zoran R

Mar 11, 2019

I have to say that this is one great course. I learned the basic of GIS, and everything I need for my first steps as a GIS analyst. I will certainly continue with mu education, and finish all five GIS specialization courses. Thank you very much for knowledge I receive during this course.

By MD Z S

Jun 12, 2020

Those who are keen to learning GIS, this is a must course to enroll. The instructor, Nick Santos is absolutely amazing and anyone would definitely enjoy learning from him. This course will not only make the basics of GIS robus but also make you step up learning GIS more to the depth

By Christopher A C

Feb 14, 2018

This is a great course to understand the fundamentals of GIS. While you may feel lost and confused at certain times, don't worry as it will all come together when you complete your peer-reviewed assignment, provided you are motivated enough to seek out the solutions to your errors.

By Rebecca R

Jul 20, 2020

Highly practical content, focussing on how to use ArcGIS - toured many of the features and capabilities within this software as well as covering basic understanding of modern GIS. Assignments provided really good practical experience, they were well thought out and well explained.

By Laura M

Aug 07, 2016

This course is a good introduction for anyone beginning to work with GIS, because it starts from the very basics. The course has a great format and content; it's one of the best I've taken on Coursera. The tutorial assignments and project are great for practicing the concepts.

By Keshav R

Apr 09, 2020

This one of the best course in Coursera in the field of Geographic Information System. The course materials are up to date and the instructor is also very qualified and his ways of teaching is awesome. I strongly recommend this course to everyone who are involved in this field.

By James C

Apr 28, 2016

This course was perfect for just getting into GIS. I have taken a few entry level GIS courses and the videos / practical application that this course provided was some of the easiest to comprehend. Thank you for all of the material and I'm looking forward to my next class!

By Cristian R V K

Apr 11, 2018

Excellent course. The lessons were clear. The progression system is on point. The assignments were well designed and really got me motivated to continue. Highly recommend it to anyone. Definitely taking on the second course of the series. Thanks to the team behind this.

By Isabella B

May 12, 2020

Fundamentals of GIS was a very comprehensive course for those interested in learning the foundations to Geographic Information Systems. The course is well paced and the real-world assignments are particularly good for demonstrating the different areas GIS works with.

By Pabasara P W

I enjoyed taking this course. It was easy to navigate from the beginning. The instructors' (Nick Santos) explanations were very clear and easy to understand. The assignments were interesting and fun at the same time. The time spent on the course was well worth it!

By Juan A H B

May 01, 2020

Es un curso que te permite avanzar a tu propio ritmo, lo cual se agradece mucho, además te ofrece los recursos necesarios para tu aprendizaje y las explicaciones son buenas. siempre y cuando leas atentamente las indicaciones no tendrás ninguna clase de problema.

By Sofia S

Mar 14, 2020

The concepts were very clearly and concisely explained; the practice assignments (1-3) were very helpful in developing experience working with ArcMap; and Dr. Santos is a great lecturer. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants an introduction to GIS.

By Alexandre M

Jan 09, 2017

Highly recommended! The content is a fascinating introduction to using ArcMap and real-world data to create basic maps. Individual skills are taught in a stepwise fashion and culminate in an enjoyable final assignment. Nick is a terrific teacher - well done!

By Ángel B

Feb 19, 2018

I had previous experience with ArcGIS because I had to learn on my own, but this course taught me a lot more tools than I thought I would get from a "fundamentals" course. The teacher is very detailed and thorough, yet very easy to understand. Great course.

By Huanglei P

Dec 27, 2017

Although it is a fundamental course, Nick illustrated core concepts of GIS and most useful operations and skills on ArcGIS. When finishing this course, you are able to do some primary analysis and draw beautiful and professional maps in ArcGIS! Really cool!

By Katharine S

Feb 06, 2017

Really awesome instructor! He walks you through everything. He assumes you know little about computers and programming, which is great for people trying to gain a deep understanding of why things work the way they do. Really helpful introduction to ArcGIS!

By JCarlos P

Nov 12, 2019

Mr Santos and his team have done a great job in this course. I'd highlight two points that I appreciated a lot: the final assignment closely relates to the course's content and the right balance between depth and breadth of the weekly topics. Congrats.

By Karyn D

Jul 01, 2018

I have been using ArcGIS for a long time and I am very comfortable with the program features that I use frequently. I expected this introductory course to be all review, but was very pleased that I learned so much more already. On the the next course!...