Back to Fundamentals of GIS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of GIS by University of California, Davis

Explore the world of spatial analysis and cartography with geographic information systems (GIS). In this class you will learn the basics of the industry’s leading software tool, ArcGIS, during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn how GIS grew from paper maps to the globally integrated electronic software packages of today. You will install ArcGIS on your computer and learn how to use online help to answer technical questions. Week 2: Open up ArcGIS and explore data using ArcMap. Learn the foundational concepts of GIS, how to analyze data, and make your first map. Week 3: Make your own maps! Symbolize data and create an eye-catching final product. Week 4: Share your data and maps and learn to store and organize your data. Take Fundamentals of GIS as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. By completing the first class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program. Students who need an ArcGIS license will receive a non-commercial, 1 year student license for participation in this course and specialization....

VM
Oct 4, 2020

I finished the course, I do not know why it indicates to me as if I had not finished\n\nI would like answer, please. My email: vic_vmrm@hotmail.com\n\nWhy don't answer me?\n\nRegards\n\nVictor Ramon

BJ
Dec 27, 2018

the content is awesome. i would recommend it to those who need to have some basic knowledge of GIS. it's very easy to learn the ArcGIS because of the instructions and demos given by the instructor.

251 - 275 of 1,318 Reviews for Fundamentals of GIS

By Carlos T H

May 23, 2018

Excellent course, I'm so happy to have learned a lot of things, Nick (The instructor) is very bright and intelligent, of course and I love his personality. I recommend 100% to other people to take this course.

By Yashas V

May 6, 2020

The course if well-curated, and allows the participants to thoroughly understand the concepts of ArcGIS. Nick really conveys information is the best possible manner, one of the best online courses I've taken.

By Javier R J

Jul 10, 2016

I really enjoyed the course, Nick explains the concepts in a way that transmits his energy and good vibe. The final task was a little hard, but we got almost all the tools needed to create an appropiate map.

By Lauren F

Mar 5, 2020

I really enjoyed this course! It was very well structured and easy to follow. I learned a lot and felt that I could handle the pace. I am looking forward to completing the other modules to become an expert!

By Joel M D

Jul 15, 2019

Excellent beginner course. All course materials were very informative, level appropriate, and designed well to move you along towards achieving a realistic yet satisfying level of entry level proficiency.

By Gary L M

Dec 2, 2019

Very much enjoyed the course and content and instructor. Content was fast pace and some reflection will be needed to master the skills, but I guess that's a good thing. Looking forward to the next class.

By Daria Z

Oct 17, 2020

Clear and enjoyable explanations, with a good mix of theory and practical information. The only lesson that has been less clear to me has been the one about projections, which is indeed a complex theme.

By Michael M

Mar 26, 2016

Very smooth and fluid introduction to the basics of the GIS field and ArcGIS software. Feel like I developed good working knowledge in a very short time. Excited to go into more depth in future courses!

By Gustavo E M C

Mar 21, 2016

Great!

Very intuitive videos, instructions quite clear, simple analysis tools and powerful data. Optimal level of proposed work. Excellent material and literature, many communities and help information.

By Samuel D S

Dec 1, 2019

The teaching technique was very nice. The instructor clearly explained each and each step in simple and was clever enough to give all the technical details that we would require for the future courses.

By amcontrerasvera@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2018

I took a basic course on GIS as part of my undergraduate classes. This course was an excellent way to review and great for anyone starting from zero. It's very detailed, easy to follow and so relevant.

By Brett C

Jun 24, 2016

Excellent content, and the assignments were great as well. Even better is that now as I work through my workflows, I now have these videos to reference if I am having difficulty with anything.

Cheers!

By Eduard D

May 29, 2017

Course was very good prepared. The strucutre of lessons was comprehensive and balanced. The assignments were interesting and fun to do. I want to thank to the lecturer, Nick Santos, for his work.

By Juliet M S A

May 3, 2020

Muy buen curso, me sirvió mucho, aprendí demasiado sobre las cosas básicas y el profesor es muy bueno !! Super recomendado si no saben nada de GIS y están empezando a comprender las herramientas

By MOHAMMAD M

Jan 7, 2021

I really appreciate this course and the instructor who really frame it in such a manner that is easy to understand and explore. I like to suggest my friends too, to get this fruitful course.

By Md. R I A

To know the core point of GIS, you should enrol immediately. The best course for Beginners. The lectures are very practicable and easy to learn. Thanks the instructor to make it easy for us.

By Alexander W

Apr 30, 2018

Excellent fundamental course. Easy to follow although Nick does talk a little fast at times, you can always pause and go back. Really fun and interactive way to get started in GIS. Cheers!

By Sam N I

Oct 8, 2020

I learned a lot from this course. Kudos to the team for making the lessons easily understandable even for beginners who just started to explore the world of GIS. Highly recommended course!!!

By Marta M

Apr 26, 2016

Great course! I've learned a lot. All lessons were understandable, professor was excellent, and most important, it was interesting and motivating. Thanks to Coursera and prof. Nick Santos.

By Onur C Y

Aug 26, 2019

It was a very good opportunity to learn GIS. Now, I have an idea about the power of GIS and it was totally fun to complete course quizzes and assignments. I strongly recommend the course!

By Matthew R S

Sep 14, 2017

Great course, excellent pace, very informative. The course instructor is very engaging in the video lectures, and quick to respond in the forum as well. Looking forward to the next course!

By Jaime J J R

Jan 19, 2017

I have learned many things and this is the first course I have complete, I am very glad to have taken this chance and also to let me do the time to try it. Very well produce this course!

By Víctor M R M

Oct 5, 2020

I would like answer, please. My email: vic_vmrm@hotmail.com

Why don't answer me?

Regards

Victor Ramon

By shehzeb a

Dec 1, 2019

I think this was a marvelous introduction to the world of GIS, everything with explained comprehensively and the extra practice material and examples really helped play with the tool.

By Jeffrey D

Feb 17, 2020

The pace was really good and I am happy some of the easy stuff like opening ArcGIS is demonstrated because sometimes easy stuff causes problems in the beginning. Thank you so much!