Back to Fundamentals of GIS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of GIS by University of California, Davis

Explore the world of spatial analysis and cartography with geographic information systems (GIS). In this class you will learn the basics of the industry’s leading software tool, ArcGIS, during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn how GIS grew from paper maps to the globally integrated electronic software packages of today. You will install ArcGIS on your computer and learn how to use online help to answer technical questions. Week 2: Open up ArcGIS and explore data using ArcMap. Learn the foundational concepts of GIS, how to analyze data, and make your first map. Week 3: Make your own maps! Symbolize data and create an eye-catching final product. Week 4: Share your data and maps and learn to store and organize your data. Take Fundamentals of GIS as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. By completing the first class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program. Students who need an ArcGIS license will receive a non-commercial, 1 year student license for participation in this course and specialization....

VM

Oct 05, 2020

I finished the course, I do not know why it indicates to me as if I had not finished\n\nI would like answer, please. My email: vic_vmrm@hotmail.com\n\nWhy don't answer me?\n\nRegards\n\nVictor Ramon

BJ

Dec 28, 2018

the content is awesome. i would recommend it to those who need to have some basic knowledge of GIS. it's very easy to learn the ArcGIS because of the instructions and demos given by the instructor.

1101 - 1125 of 1,211 Reviews for Fundamentals of GIS

By Hilary W

Jun 01, 2017

I found the course tutorials and materials really good and clear. I found achieving what I wanted on ARC GIS much harder than I thought it would be, so it was re-assuring where they indicated that people would re-watch the tutorials more than once (Can't tell you how many times I had to watch them to get some elements of the course!!). But encouraged to go on and do the next one.

By Christiane

Apr 26, 2020

Comprehensive introductory course, providing links, ways to approach troubleshooting when learning online/by yourself plus background information. The videos that accompany the weekly assigments provide insights into the learning material that is actually being used in the assignments. By taking the weekly quizes one was enabled to assess their own learning process. Thank you!

By Antje C R

Mar 30, 2020

The guided assignments were excellent. In the lectures, however, I sometimes missed the forest for the trees. Since this course is for novices to GIS, an overall "roadmap" covering the forest of functions in ArcGIS would be helpful.

Nick Santos presents the materials in a clear, low-key manner, while conveying a good deal of enthusiasm - I enjoyed listening.

By Phyllis T

Jan 20, 2018

The course material was detailed and the facilitator made the subject understandable. Learning GIS was interesting. However, waiting for peers to review my work was frustrating. I reviewed more than 6 assignments for others but my assignment was only reviewed last minute after I sent requests in the discussion forum.

By 李博涵

Mar 05, 2017

In general, it's quite helpful for me, but it could be a little bit too fundamental sometimes, for example the professor would explain things like how to find a button... which may not be so necessary, but it's ok, I think I will enroll the next course of this series.

By Bruno A

Nov 21, 2018

Very enthusiastic instructor.

Good starting course, very well structured (with just the necessary small repetitions to consolidate knowledge).

Good final assignment.

(Very small) caveat: could be clearer at times in conveying certain not-so-difficult notions.

By Nataraj N D

Apr 03, 2020

It's an overall good course. But I think you may show more uses of tools in this course. And another thing is; English is not the native language for all classes of students here. So if you speak slowly that will be more helpful to understand.

By Nohelia F C

Mar 10, 2017

I have learned a lot in this course. It is very nice, but I think that it would be nice if the students can communicate with the teacher directly, because sometimes there are some comments or questions and it is only read it by the group.

By Prathana B

Aug 22, 2017

Excellent course to kick off learning in GIS. But for me the peer review of assignment seemed a little discouraging. Other than that a great learning experience. If you are interested in GIS, I think you should give it a shot.

By ESSILFIE K B

Aug 17, 2020

I never had ideal of what GIS is but this course has really enlightening my view of GIS. And now am proud to say i know what GIS is and to analyse your data with ArcMap. therefore I recommend this to you also.

By luisa m

Mar 05, 2016

Great course, right what I needed as I use with statistics and econometrics in development issues, but I needed to add the "spatial" element.

I would give the 5th star, if the slide of the lessons were available

thanks!

By Cornelis A G

Jun 14, 2020

The course is well laid out and you get access to GIS software for training and studying. The examples are well set up and give a good idea of what you can do with GIS. A complete course manual in pdf would be useful

By Francisco D d B

The course is awesome. I learned a lot and it helped me in many ways. The only thing that can be improved is the peer graded assignment, some students did not follow the instructions on how to grade our work.

By Julie B

Jun 04, 2020

Very well instructed. A few of the instructors were hard to understand, but the transcript help in this area. Overall the course was easy to follow and the coursework was challenging for a first timer.

By Aidan r j

Sep 11, 2019

some parts are hard to follow sometimes and can be monotunioos some times but over a great cour to get into gis with plenty of exrecises and avilable file as the one being worked on in the lectures

By Bonnie W

May 15, 2016

The first week was a little slow, but I'm glad I stuck it out. This was very helpful and informative. The labs are invaluable practice that accompany the videos well. Thanks Nick!

By Abdoul K F

Nov 15, 2017

Un cours très intéressant qui part des fonctionnalités d'ArcGIS à la production d'une carte complète. Toutefois à ce niveau, on apprend pas encore à produire ses propres données.

By NELSON E

N

E

By Arshad A S

Dec 09, 2016

It was an Excellent Course I learned a lot and it was a great opportunity to learn GIS basics.

Nick Santos (our instructor) and the UC Davis Extension Team

By Tom M

Jul 16, 2017

Great overview, though (by necessity) sometimes a bit skimpy on how important certain steps are. I'm glad I was able to review and re-review the lectures as needed!

By Marjan D

Jun 24, 2020

Fundamentals of GIS is an interesting course where computing and geography are combined. I did find it a bit hard, and ArcMap was crashing all the time though.

By Modou M

Mar 28, 2016

you should consider issues to upload 54Mo data during peer review grading of last assignment.

so this course was informative and well structured.

thanks a lot

By Nancy V W

Jun 25, 2017

After taking this first course, I had acquired basic skills that I was able to apply immediately in my work. Would highly recommend this course.

By Hema P

Jun 13, 2016

Excellent course, well-explained and complete! It does need a lot of focus and practice to actually understand and master what's going on there.

By Ebenezer O

Nov 21, 2017

Very good course, it helped me to understand the very basic of GIS, and the Instructor is so good, He makes it easy to follow and understand