Back to Fundamentals of GIS

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of GIS by University of California, Davis

Explore the world of spatial analysis and cartography with geographic information systems (GIS). In this class you will learn the basics of the industry’s leading software tool, ArcGIS, during four week-long modules: Week 1: Learn how GIS grew from paper maps to the globally integrated electronic software packages of today. You will install ArcGIS on your computer and learn how to use online help to answer technical questions. Week 2: Open up ArcGIS and explore data using ArcMap. Learn the foundational concepts of GIS, how to analyze data, and make your first map. Week 3: Make your own maps! Symbolize data and create an eye-catching final product. Week 4: Share your data and maps and learn to store and organize your data. Take Fundamentals of GIS as a standalone course or as part of the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Specialization. By completing the first class in the Specialization you will gain the skills needed to succeed in the full program. Students who need an ArcGIS license will receive a non-commercial, 1 year student license for participation in this course and specialization....

A
May 16, 2021

GREAT COURSE TO JUMPSTART FOR ANY NEW LEARNERS IN THE FIELD OF GIS. It is extremely helpful to learn the basics & the projects help any new learners to understand what kind of work is done in ArcGIS.

VM
Oct 4, 2020

I finished the course, I do not know why it indicates to me as if I had not finished\n\nI would like answer, please. My email: vic_vmrm@hotmail.com\n\nWhy don't answer me?\n\nRegards\n\nVictor Ramon

1351 - 1375 of 1,380 Reviews for Fundamentals of GIS

May 29, 2021

B​IEN

By Henry M M

Mar 1, 2017

Good

By Akram A M E

Apr 10, 2016

good

By Kate B

Mar 2, 2020

Nick seems very passionate about his work, and I appreciate the time he put into this course. However, The some of the concepts weren't always explained well or should have been repeated to help those new to GIS get a better handle on them. My husband (who was passively listening - i.e., otherwise playing video games - while I took classes) is a programmer, and heagreed with me. Also, not having a reliable community or advisor to help answer questions is problematic. The class forum is not very helpful, since there are few responses. There are also a number of typos throughout the course content, including small ones in the handouts for the assignments. More importantly, the transcripts need reviewed for better translation. I was able to figure out some of the errors because of context and I'm a native English speaker. The closed captioning is even worse (although, some of the translations can funny).

By Brenna G

Mar 3, 2021

I do not feel like this course was as informative as it could've been. There were a number of things I ended up watching other videos to get the full idea of what to do. The final assignment was an absolute pain! I resubmitted multiple times because people would grade harshly, but then say "great map!". Peer review is not an effective means of grading when people do not leave thought out feedback. I am not satisfied with this course and I had hoped to do the whole specialization, but will not be doing that after finishing this course. The professor should be a little easier to get a hold of to make this course feel authentic.

By Pierre V

Apr 3, 2017

Quiet good introduction with clear objectives.

Some step by step explanations could be shortened because they seem too detailed.

A brief introduction to creating your own data could be great and will cover more steps

By hte way, thanks for this good introduction

By Mohammed A

Jul 8, 2017

Great course also best instructor my problem is the grading by others is taking really longtime I've been waiting two days until now and no one even looked at my assignment. also I tired posting my problem in the discussion thread even begged but nothing.

By Margaret F

Oct 18, 2016

The course and the content was great, but the grading process was terrible. Will probably finish the specialization, but wish there was a better way to be graded for the money.

By Madeline G

Feb 25, 2020

The course itself was great, but I think the grading system could definitely be improved on the final project!

By Akshat J

Sep 15, 2019

Focuses mainly on ArcGIS tool whereas the objective of this course should be to explain GIS concepts.

By Kenny C

Jan 16, 2020

the software is outdated and the assignment instruction is not clear at all!

By Jacob G

Feb 14, 2018

Needs to be updated to cover the use of ArcGIS pro.

By Sean C

Feb 18, 2019

Good information. A little simple at times

By James M

Jul 30, 2017

Peer review is unreliable.

By Avishek H

Helpful for beginners.

By NAGIM E M I

Oct 29, 2019

perfect

By Tim D

Apr 11, 2021

For myself, I experienced issues trying to work the course projects with the student ArcGIS course work during the process. I reloaded three versions each upload going down one version to the 10.3.1 and the course files were not available to be found on my computer. At the end, I was able to bring in the final project and located the files, and did tinker around with some of the data, but not enough to submit for Peer review or to take the Final Week 4 quiz. Go figure! Because I was not able to work the course projects, I was a deer in headlights at the end. I did use the group sections to identify other users experiencing the same issues. I found dated concerns, with no comments. Because I could not identify and referenced coursework updates, I can assume it is aging and does need to be reviewed and refreshed.

By Anshuman P

Jun 25, 2017

This course gets difficult in Week 4 as the Assignment is tough if you do not fully understand how to use GIS. Discussion forums sometimes help but only if someone else is kind enough to reply. If you don't understand how to do things on your own, do not take this course. There is no way to message or ask the instructor questions.

By Alexander B

Jan 19, 2020

Very hard, little direction for the final project. Please update final project with better, more in-depth instructions.

By Carla L

Jul 31, 2017

The assigmentes after every lesson was step-by-step conducted, but que final lesson was "do yourself", with diferents topic of the class.

They reprove me, but I have no explanation because the class finish at 31 and today 31 they say I have to switch the course. I fell really cehated and unsatisfy and I will not finish the specialization anymore.

Thos was the worst Cousera course that I did.

By Amy D S

Jan 3, 2021

This course in no way prepared me for the final assignment. Things were half explained, and the assignments leading up to the final assignment did not provide context for understanding what you were doing. This was a waste of time. The only thing I could do after the course was open ArcGIS and add some data- no geoprocessing.

By prudhvi s

Mar 3, 2020

not at all replying to the issues in discussion forums one of my friend posted a threat regarding peer 5 ago the mentor is not even replying this is ridiculous

By sophie m

Feb 2, 2021

I wasn't able to afford GIS software unfortunately so did not complete course