Back to Global Diplomacy – Diplomacy in the Modern World

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Global Diplomacy – Diplomacy in the Modern World by University of London

The Global Diplomacy course is a unique offering to the MOOC environment. Bringing together cutting edge research in the broad fields of Diplomatic and International Studies, award winning distance learning delivery and the instructors previous experience of delivering a successful MOOC. Please see the volume Global Diplomacy: Theories, Types and Models authored with Dr Alison Holmes, (Westview, 2016), and the Understanding Research Methods MOOC from Coursera. The Global Diplomacy MOOC has a direct heritage in the University of London International Academy/SOAS Global Diplomacy MA Programme launched in April 2013 which have attracted hundreds of students from around the world. The Global Diplomacy MA Programme is provided by the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy which has been teaching postgraduate courses in Diplomacy for over twenty five years. After completing the 'Global Diplomacy' MOOC, learners will have: 1. The ability to demonstrate a critical understanding of the nature and development of global diplomacy, drawing on a variety of relevant contributing disciplines in the broad field of International Studies. 2. An understanding of changes in diplomatic practices and procedures and the relationship of those changes to contemporary politics. 3. A sound grounding in both theoretical and empirical approaches to debates in diplomacy so that students have been exposed to the and skills needed to analyse global diplomacy. 4. knowledge of issues in global diplomacy in historical and contemporary contexts....

TR
May 1, 2020

Absolutely incredible course in diplomacy that gives you a perfect glimpse of understanding how diplomacy works in practice and what achievements you need to posses in order to become a good diplomat.

Great course. I had a general interest in diplomacy and wanted a little taste of what it was, this course has provided me just that. It has amazing resources to help enhance our knowledge of diplomacy

676 - 700 of 823 Reviews for Global Diplomacy – Diplomacy in the Modern World

By Lokko F

Dec 6, 2016

This is an educative programme. I have gained some knowledge in the subject area. It as increased my interest Global Diplomacy. Also opportunity to read more about the theory and practice of Global Diplomacy. It will go a long way to enhance my skills as a diplomate to influence leadership positively at all levels of life to build positive net work, develop appropriate diplomatic skills to enhance international relations, negotiations, and ensure peace and security in contemporary global world.

By Monica G

Mar 16, 2020

I found the interviews and videos very interesting and very well prepared. They present different approaches and perspectives on Diplomacy, with historical, social, cultural references and its role in modern society.

I believe that the course only needs to strengthen its evaluation system through some kind of Multiple choise or similar system to give more legitimacy and support to the training received and the evaluation it deserves.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

By salsabila s

Sep 18, 2020

I appreciate the courses which are compact and resourceful, as it engages many insights and perspectives from foreign policy experts instead of one. It also makes sure that the students do pay attention to the materials given by engaging one another in the assignments. However, it would be great if the course could give a more comprehensive introduction to what to expect from the course and give a bigger picture of what the context of the lessons would be in the coming weeks.

By Uwemedimo E

Oct 14, 2020

The course was very enlightening as it exposes the student to the various aspects of negotiations in the international systems. It also teaches the principle by which nations relate with each other in the International system. We were taught about the roles of diplomats in the International system. I recommend this course to anyone who works for a foreign mission or International organization. It puts on your hand the tools of a diplomat and the skills of negotiations.

By Venkatesh M

Feb 11, 2018

Helpful and effective videos and lessons (reading) , simple assignments which yet test your comprehension and allow you to express yourself based on learning and what that means to you, clearly defines important useful concepts of the subject.

The reading material could also be summarized for the benefit of learners who have pressure of time to read fully. Some of the articles are rather long and also written in not the simplest of the ways requiring more time to read.

By SANTIAGO G T

Aug 14, 2020

Un curso sumamente importante y con muchos elementos que ayudan a conocer la diplomacia, buenas entrevistas y definiciones de los conceptos. Creo que es importante añadir más elementos, como ejemplos de diplomáticos históricos y modernos, como funciona la diplomacia en organismos como la ONU y algunas explicaciones referente a la diplomacia de algunos países. De igual forma, considero que este curso sirve para sentar bases importantes de lo que es la diplomacia.

By Cynthia P P C

Apr 23, 2017

It was very enlightening; it made me realize the complexities and evolution of diplomacy while understanding what it takes to become a good diplomat in general. Specifically, I got new insights on how I can impact positively within the realm of nature conservation from a global perspective and how to tackle the threats we are facing in the near future. I would have liked though a bit more interaction with the experts and opinions from them on my/our submissions.

By Sonny W J H

Nov 11, 2019

The course was great, it offers a lot of differing perspectives from experts on the field. Another good point is the understandability of course material offered, as well as many non-technical knowledge it taught me, for example, is how to review other people's paragraphs. I also love the fact that this course offers many useful resources and insights that we can use outside the course. Overall, I'm very thankful for the opportunity to learn. Great work team!

By Lyla B

Feb 3, 2018

I enjoyed the course, however, it said I was done before I ever finished the last E-Activity, I think. Also, much of the last week's lectures were all repetition of previous videos previously presented. I think of the courses I have thus far enrolled in, the glitch factor is higher than I would have suspected it would be. That being said, I still will plan to enroll in Global Diplomacy - The United Nations course and am looking forward to a good experience.

By Liane L

Dec 4, 2017

Really helpful and self-driven course. Good introduction to modern diplomacy, if you have had some background in IR to help you along. Otherwise it isn't that difficult to follow. Wish it had some quizzes that weren't just peer-reviewed very short essays, which, while some may be insightful, are not always so. The fact that it is completely free, however, makes up for it. It is impossible not to learn anything after having committed to this course.

By Uladzimir V

Jul 6, 2020

In general, course is well composed from the most essential topics to make a strong view among participants. Meanwhile actuality of the course material leave much to be desired, since it is grounded on the events of 00's. However, the World has changed since that time. So I would recommend to the course master to develop the material with up to date information.

By Sam B

Dec 4, 2017

Overall a good course and well structured, but could seek to be more explicit about the questions it raises and more practical in terms of what it teaches. For example, we now know what diplomacy is (sort of!) and what skills diplomats need (sort of!) but we don't have much in the way of concrete examples of those skills. Just a thought. But still enjoyable!

By Andrea M M F

Aug 31, 2020

It has been rich to know the perception of diplomacy in other countries and exchange general concepts. My only suggestion shall be to add other specific concepts related to this field, for example, the most important Conventions that regulate this profession. But overall, I'm satisfied and I congratulate Coursera for having these kind of courses.

By Vijayhardik J

Jun 27, 2020

I love the way the course is designed so that the people learning can interpret the material and form their own opinion on it. The course covers the various facets of diplomacy from critical thinking to conventional forms of diplomacy. It provided a great insight into the world of diplomacy and how international relations are shaped by it.

By Marco A R C

Jun 26, 2020

Es un muy buen curso, te da material de lectura, videos con opiniones y claves para identificar casos exitosos en los que se uso la diplomacia correctamente y te motiva a seguir estudiando el arte de la misma, lo unico que falto fueron en las ultimas semanas incluir mas articulos o guias para el uso de la diplomacia con la globalizacion.

By Barbara B

Jun 20, 2017

Interesting and enjoyable course. Easy to follow, with clear instructions, good material, excellent videos, interesting and interactive forums. Excellent support through the chat when asking questions. There may be merit to propose a more advanced module for those interested to learn more. Thank you for the opportunity.

By William W

Jul 29, 2020

One of the links in week 5 doesn't work! I would have preferred the long form interviews either be at the beginning of the course or scattered throughout instead of saved for the very end. They were the best part of the course! I also enjoyed some of the reading and learned quite a bit through this course. Thank you!

By Katie M

Aug 5, 2019

The content of this course was very interesting. I liked the mix of historical perspective and updated examples. This course is completely based on discussion forums so the learning style is very specific. I would have liked to see more diverse perspectives as almost all of the contributors are men.

By Kendall J

Jan 31, 2018

Short, but very content packed course. I felt that the course material was direct and straight to the point. The discussion questions were thought provoking and the reading was informative. The information learned would be helpful to a wide range of public officials. I would recommend this course.

By Syeda D E Z J

Apr 8, 2020

Fairly good course to dig into the basics of diplomacy. I would have liked a little more advanced and challenging content in the course through video lectures and case studies. Readings were really good but if they were incorporated as videos, it would have been a better learning experience.

By Josh W

Apr 2, 2020

Great material, really interesting video dialogue between the course administrator and the various guest lecturers and academics.

The assignments are a useful means of testing some of this introductory material. They could have perhaps culminated in more of a challenging task at the end.

By Pablo T

Jan 21, 2020

The course is very interesting, it contains very important and new information that is outside the conventional definition people give to diplomacy; as it not only talks about the ethics and the work of a diplomat but also foresees the role of diplomacy in future times

By Michaela K

Jan 10, 2017

The course was very interesting. I liked that I could share my views on diplomacy in the form of short essays and fellow peers could grade my work. In my opinion, the course could also include short quiz tests so that course participants practice the material more.

By Abhinav R

Jul 26, 2020

The course in itself is very well designed and impressive in terms of the study material provided. However, some of the reading materials provided are unavailable and It would be great if the instructors could make it available or provide an alternate source.

By Md. S I

May 8, 2020

A good one to have some knowledge of diplomacy. But the insights provided are superficial I think. The lectures could be deeper into the subject. The course contains mostly self-learning reading materials whereas it could be designed with more lectures.