Back to Global Diplomacy – Diplomacy in the Modern World

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Global Diplomacy – Diplomacy in the Modern World by University of London

The Global Diplomacy course is a unique offering to the MOOC environment. Bringing together cutting edge research in the broad fields of Diplomatic and International Studies, award winning distance learning delivery and the instructors previous experience of delivering a successful MOOC. Please see the volume Global Diplomacy: Theories, Types and Models authored with Dr Alison Holmes, (Westview, 2016), and the Understanding Research Methods MOOC from Coursera. The Global Diplomacy MOOC has a direct heritage in the University of London International Academy/SOAS Global Diplomacy MA Programme launched in April 2013 which have attracted hundreds of students from around the world. The Global Diplomacy MA Programme is provided by the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy which has been teaching postgraduate courses in Diplomacy for over twenty five years. After completing the 'Global Diplomacy' MOOC, learners will have: 1. The ability to demonstrate a critical understanding of the nature and development of global diplomacy, drawing on a variety of relevant contributing disciplines in the broad field of International Studies. 2. An understanding of changes in diplomatic practices and procedures and the relationship of those changes to contemporary politics. 3. A sound grounding in both theoretical and empirical approaches to debates in diplomacy so that students have been exposed to the and skills needed to analyse global diplomacy. 4. knowledge of issues in global diplomacy in historical and contemporary contexts....

MS

Nov 01, 2019

Absolutely incredible course in diplomacy that gives you a perfect glimpse of understanding how diplomacy works in practice and what achievements you need to posses in order to become a good diplomat.

DS

May 14, 2019

Excellent course for those aspiring to be career diplomats. Engages us with a history of diplomacy ever since it was widely practised and accepted as a form of conflict management and resolution.

301 - 325 of 414 Reviews for Global Diplomacy – Diplomacy in the Modern World

Feb 05, 2017

Great

By jovanna H

Feb 12, 2017

good

By Hidayatullah i

Dec 27, 2016

Good

By Фот Н С

Jun 01, 2017

вам

By Dipesh T

Sep 21, 2017

U

By Thomáz D M

Nov 20, 2017

The course does a good job at presenting contemporary views on diplomacy in an accessible way. There's nothing too academic going on, and the relation between the new conception of diplomacy presented here and the recent changes in international law (particularly when it comes to human rights) is only hinted at; but overall it serves as a nice introductory course to the subject and offers some interesting insights.

The course material is also quite interesting. My only issue with it is that the "classes", which are actually interviews with specialists, are cut so that only the section related to the theme being discussed in a given week will be displayed. At week 5, however, the whole interviews are made available, and you have to watch the same clips from previous weeks along with the new bits. I found that watching the interviews without cuts was much more interesting than watching the clips, and I wish I had known about them sooner.

By Josh C

Mar 05, 2020

I really enjoyed the course and thought it provided a good introduction to diplomacy in the modern world. Personally, I would have liked if the course was slightly more onerous but I appreciate there is only so much that you can do with this MOOC format.

I liked that for each topic there were contributions from a variety of speakers — obviously, each speaker's background influenced their views on the topics explored and I thought the course was richer for that. I felt that the video content was actually a little light and would have enjoyed longer-form videos in which the speakers were more directly addressing the question. Sometimes it seemed as though the videos had been retrofitted to the stated question (i.e. occasionally speakers did not appear to be addressing the topic at all).

It would also be good to provide suggestions for additional supplementary reading.

By Shaheena K

Jan 16, 2018

Global Diplomacy offers a comprehensive introduction to the subject. It is clear and course requirements are not arduous - yet stimulating and thought-provoking. I would have appreciated knowing the different lengths of submissions in advance, this would have assisted my balancing commitments better to submit the assignments. Also, leaving almost 2 hours of valuable videos to the last session could be adjusted. The last series of videos could easily fit into one of the first two weeks. The content of these videos would have assisted my understanding of the topic and not detracted from the specific subject matter from week 2-5. Also, with a longer paper due in the last week, one would have been able to absorb the video material earlier and have more time to critically engage with the final assignment.

By Raimundo Q J

Dec 14, 2017

This course was very good for me and i enjoyed so much it will help me improve and discuss with different people about Diplomacy, which is the main reason for what state and non-states actors act together to do business around the world. Was extremely useful for me now i understand little beat about the agreement that states makes it is not only for goodwill of other country but the diplomats has to work very hardy to convince other parties to come and do business with us. Not only i cold learn other process and saw when we have a weak diplomacy what is the results. This course was very good but i think it would involve more areas and extend the period of his duration.

By Valeriia M

Jan 23, 2020

The course may be interesting in case you want to learn about different points of view on diplomacy, and it makes you analyze the opinions of others as well as to form your own. It makes you think more and gives you new ideas and helps to choose the concept of diplomacy which fits best with your worldview. However, I personally would like to ger more theoretical information and facts. Maybe I just need to find another course for it. Anyway, I would like to thank all the experts and the team that made the course. They all did a great job!

By Lokko F

Dec 06, 2016

This is an educative programme. I have gained some knowledge in the subject area. It as increased my interest Global Diplomacy. Also opportunity to read more about the theory and practice of Global Diplomacy. It will go a long way to enhance my skills as a diplomate to influence leadership positively at all levels of life to build positive net work, develop appropriate diplomatic skills to enhance international relations, negotiations, and ensure peace and security in contemporary global world.

By Monica G

Mar 16, 2020

I found the interviews and videos very interesting and very well prepared. They present different approaches and perspectives on Diplomacy, with historical, social, cultural references and its role in modern society.

I believe that the course only needs to strengthen its evaluation system through some kind of Multiple choise or similar system to give more legitimacy and support to the training received and the evaluation it deserves.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

By Venkatesh M

Feb 11, 2018

Helpful and effective videos and lessons (reading) , simple assignments which yet test your comprehension and allow you to express yourself based on learning and what that means to you, clearly defines important useful concepts of the subject.

The reading material could also be summarized for the benefit of learners who have pressure of time to read fully. Some of the articles are rather long and also written in not the simplest of the ways requiring more time to read.

By Cynthia P P C

Apr 24, 2017

It was very enlightening; it made me realize the complexities and evolution of diplomacy while understanding what it takes to become a good diplomat in general. Specifically, I got new insights on how I can impact positively within the realm of nature conservation from a global perspective and how to tackle the threats we are facing in the near future. I would have liked though a bit more interaction with the experts and opinions from them on my/our submissions.

By Sonny W J H

Nov 12, 2019

The course was great, it offers a lot of differing perspectives from experts on the field. Another good point is the understandability of course material offered, as well as many non-technical knowledge it taught me, for example, is how to review other people's paragraphs. I also love the fact that this course offers many useful resources and insights that we can use outside the course. Overall, I'm very thankful for the opportunity to learn. Great work team!