Back to Politics and Economics of International Energy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Politics and Economics of International Energy by Sciences Po

Energy issues have always been important in international relations, but in recent years may have become even more important than in the past due to the widespread awareness of existing limits to energy sources and negative climate impacts. The course discusses global trends in energy consumption and production, various available scenarios for potential developments in the coming decades, the availability of oil reserves and the evolution of the oil industry. It then discusses natural gas and highlights the differences between oil and gas. It will also discuss renewable energy sources, nuclear energy and EU energy policy. The course aims at providing students whose main interest is in international relations a background on energy resources, technology and economic realities to allow them to correctly interpret the political impact of current developments. It also aims at providing students, who already have a technical background in energy science or engineering, with the broad global view of energy issues that will allow them to better understand the social, economic and political impact of their technical knowledge. ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR : Giacomo Luciani Scientific Advisor for the Master in International Energy at the Paris School of International Affairs (PSIA) Sciences Po, Giacomo Luciani is also Adjunct Professor at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva and Director of the Executive Master in International Oil and Gas Leadership. For the period 2010-13 he was appointed Princeton University Global Scholar, attached to the Woodrow Wilson School and the Department of Near Eastern Studies. His research focuses on the political economy of the Middle East and North Africa and on global energy issues. RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND : The course requires no special scientific, mathematical or economic background; all key concepts are clearly and elementarily explained. It is expected that it will be of interest to undergraduate and graduate students in schools where an equivalent course is not offered (this being the case for the vast majority of schools). USPC Sorbonne Paris Cité Supported by Université Sorbonne Paris Cité IDEX Investissements d'Avenir Funded by Investissements d'Avenir - 'ANR. Info : Course content : Licence Creative Commons BY NC SA...

DP

Sep 11, 2016

Excellent delivery.\n\nFantastic external sources with clear and precise explanations from a graphical viewpoint.\n\nGreat range of industry expertise and professionals within the appropriate fields.

RJ

Aug 03, 2017

With this course I have been able to better understand the role of energy in the development of the countries, and in a clear and simple way I have managed to understand how renewable energies work.

76 - 100 of 230 Reviews for Politics and Economics of International Energy

By Luis F L

Oct 25, 2017

Well explained. Relevant explanations of politics and economics

By Thomas d K h d K

Jul 09, 2017

Very interesting course for anyone who wishes to learn more about international energy!!

By Huw T

Feb 09, 2017

Absolutely wonderful. I learned a huge amount and Giacomo was a very friendly and helpful teacher.

By Thomas D W

Feb 04, 2017

This course was awesome! I love energy and the economics of energy and I still learnt so much! :)

By Lucian B

Mar 07, 2017

Very good course for persons interested in the energy sector, explaining the basic facts surrounding energy sources. Could do with more insight in how the energy prices are computed and how they are influenced by lots of factors

By Liangliang X

Sep 27, 2016

Very informative course. The lecturer has profound knowledge about energy and politics not only in EU but also around the globe! Highly recommend it!

By Moath A

Jul 08, 2016

I have amazing overview about the subjected course, thank you

By Григорова А А

Oct 27, 2016

It's very interesting to become aware of international affairs between countries based on energy. The course is not difficult to understand. At the same time the information provided by the tutor and by other professionals as well is profound.

By Salla M

Oct 31, 2016

très bon cours, bien détaillé. Beaucoup de connaissances acquises.

By Wadner P

Jan 27, 2017

I will strongly recommend "Politics and Economics of International Energy" to anyone working or thinking about working on the energy field. This course is also an asset for those advising policymakers or policy -makers themselves. I have learned so much from this course though the materials and interviews. Yes it was challenging because it is good. I can only say that I am glad I made the decision to take the course.

By Charlotte J

Apr 28, 2017

I learned a lot! Very interesting, educative, relevant and up to date issues/infos, eventhough it is not a 2017 course. The structure of the course makes a lot of sense. I enjoyed the teacher, easy to listen to. This course taugh me (as expect) about international politics through topics such as the difficult situation of gas pipelines. However it also encouraged me dig deaper on subject that should matter to any citizen. In fact, I found myself researching about my country's energy mix or recent green buildings in my city. Finally, I learned about technical and alternative option such as portable and safe nuclear energy -it did not even cross my mind that nuclear would be anything else than huge reactors -tricky to stop.

By Tariq A

Feb 17, 2017

the best

By Andrew W

Jan 08, 2017

Overall an excellent overview of the principal political, economic and policy issues related to international energy. The course is well structured and presented and I would recommend it highly to anyone interested in this important area.

By Yasser R

Mar 24, 2017

Excellent overview of energy resources and the related economics and politics. Exactly what i was looking for!

By Vivek B

Oct 22, 2017

Firstly, I would like to thank Professor Luciani for creating this MOOC and presenting it in an interesting manner. I thoroughly enjoyed this course and it has greatly enhanced my appreciation of energy issues world-wide.

Thank you once again!

By Daniel C

Sep 18, 2017

A very good introductory course for anyone willing to get in touch with energy matters in the political and economic areas. Professor Giacomo Luciani handles the classes with confidence and clarity and it allows us to obtain a fair command of basic principles regarding the global energy sector. I definitely recommend this course!

By Krishna P C

Nov 12, 2017

Very interesting course, lots of knowledge gained about international energy.

By Maria S

Jan 06, 2018

I am an Electrical Engineer, with a master's in Sustainable Energy. The course is really interesting and well structured. I would prefer it if it was a bit more updated. Overall, I highly recommend it! Thank you Giacomo!

By Yuriy G

Mar 28, 2018

Excellent course!

By Chandra S A

Nov 13, 2017

Fantastic course with amazing presentations through videos, graphs, interviews and excellent pictures or videos of related fields in the background made the course really interesting.

The interviews conduct by Respected Professor Giacomo Luciani

made me felt as we are really present in a class.

I am very impressed by the course content of Geo-Politics of Gas especially.

Great Course.

By Peter F

Dec 06, 2017

Very grateful to have participated in Prof. Lucianis course. Learned a lot. Highly recommend it to everyone who wants to deepen his knowledge in the field of global Energy.

Thank you!!

By Noémie N

Nov 11, 2017

Instructive and professional with plenty of different work supports.

By Naveen B

Feb 28, 2018

it is simply an awesome course on energy sector. The various dynamics and geopolitics is explained in a beautiful way.

By Chick E

Apr 13, 2018

Great course with a lot meaning

By Pushkal C

May 06, 2018

Excellent course, very well structured and elaborated. A reservoir of knowledge! Loved the interviews in the lectures.