Back to Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design by California Institute of the Arts

This condensed survey course focuses on four key periods or themes from the history of design. Together we’ll trace the emergence of design as a recognized practice, why things look the way they do, and how designers approached specific design problems in their work. Each week, a short quiz will test your knowledge of concepts, and a short reflective assignment will give you the opportunity to analyze the questions designers ask themselves today. This is an essential course for emerging designers entering the field, or for students interested in learning more about visual culture and analysis. No previous experience is required....

PD

Nov 27, 2016

Its been a great course, many info and points that are fantastic in the learning or adding new knowledge always. I will always recommend this course for those who want to know more and learn design.

AD

Dec 05, 2016

Loved it and all the examples the teachers put into it, as well as the organization and evolution of themes. Big thank you to the teacher ladies. I learned a lot and enjoyed the lessons very much.

51 - 75 of 278 Reviews for Ideas from the History of Graphic Design

By Jen A

Oct 23, 2016

very informative course, it's very good to know the inspiration of contemporary art cultures. it opens up more creativity and out of the box thinking for new artists like me. Thank you

By Amy C

Nov 08, 2018

This should be one of the first courses. Students, especially English Language Learners need the front loading of the topic. It would ideally help clarify the idea of graphic design.

By Mohammad A H

It was amassing course for amateur learner. Historical development of design and contemporary designing concept. As it is essential for a designer to understand concept of design.

By Michael N K S M

I love the materials and how they are structured along with the quizzes and the assignments. They really help students to grasp the concepts of design history and design studies.

By Assel N

Sep 10, 2016

This course gave me a lot of important information about the birth and rise of the Graphic Design as a stand alone profession. It was a great opportunity to fulfil my knowledge.

By mangazico

Oct 30, 2017

it was one of the best online courses that has coursera the lectures are really enjoyable i had a great time and most important I earn a lot about the history of Graphic design

By Stephanie O

Feb 27, 2017

It's good to have a background on the history of Graphic Design. Historical and Contemporary References and what their differences helps me when designing a brand/logo/logotype

By Aleksandar J

Jun 10, 2019

Completely satisfied with this course. I learned a lot about history of graphic design and its influence in modern graphic design. Would recommend this course to anybody!

By Fatimah O

Jan 14, 2017

I really like it, even it took long time for me to submit week 4 assignments before the dead line.

I really wonder if calart afford an online graphic design degree.

Thanks.

By Salem F A

Sep 22, 2019

this is the pest part of Graphic design previous courses, I love it because i see much more about designing in diffrent eras, really this is helpful course for everyone.

By Julie W

Apr 10, 2020

This was my favorite Coursera course so far. Extremely engaging content, great instructors. I found myself researching each week's topics independently when I finished.

By Amanda J V

Oct 11, 2016

Nice overview of graphic design history, I learned some new things, broadened my historical background, and had assignments that tied it back into contemporary design.

By Natalia M

Jan 17, 2017

I really enjoyed this class and thought it was very useful for learning about the importance of historical events that contribute to how we design graphics today.

By Julia P G

Jul 23, 2018

very clear and concise videos+explanations. It gave me a good (but brief and that's ok) overview graphic design history. I feel like I learned a lot of things

By Fabian M

Dec 14, 2016

Fun and very interesting. It has lifted the veil from a lot of things that were all around me in society and yet were transparent to me prior to this course.

By F A

Sep 26, 2018

Recommend it to all new starter in graphics design, because its a great tool of knowledge to understand how or why certain things where done in certain ways.

By yeliz

Mar 27, 2020

It was a very good class, and the content is very interesting and satisfying. I especially liked the assignments, and I learned a lot while preparing them.

By Yuliya S

Oct 27, 2019

I really liked the course material and the way teachers provide information. I learned a lot and noted many areas that I will continue to study on my own.

By Rohan S

Oct 23, 2018

This course gives some invaluable insight on the history of graphic design with a ton of examples, something that's often left out on many other courses.

By Rohit N

Aug 31, 2016

I enjoyed studying history for the first time in my life. It is really insightful to see how design has evolved and still has influences from the past.

By Rosa P M V

Aug 26, 2017

Excellent course. I could understand a general idea from where graphic design comes from. Now I know where to look for references and inspiration.

By namrata

Nov 21, 2019

This Course history of graphic design was wonderful . It took me back at early history of Graphics design. Thank you and I truly appreciate it.

By Ronald K

Oct 09, 2017

Very informative! I recommend it! =) It helped me to understand a bit more of the world and how the design evolved in modern/contemporary era.

By Juachi O

Sep 21, 2017

Enjoyed learning about the evolution of Graphic Design. I do wish this course covered other countries. Perhaps I'll look that up independently

By Zackary A K

Jul 06, 2017

Very interesting, introductory lectures on the history of design. It really helped my get my footing, so that reading further has been easy.