Back to Guitar for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Guitar for Beginners by Berklee College of Music

Grasp the essentials needed to begin playing acoustic or electric guitar. You'll learn an easy approach to get you playing quickly, through a combination of exploring the instrument, performance technique, and basic music theory. For students who have long thought about picking up the acoustic or electric guitar, this course will provide an easy-access foundation that will get you playing. When first learning guitar, it is important to have the material presented in stages, in an enjoyable way that allows you to grasp the basics of the instrument and music. The course begins simply with the parts of the guitar, the names of the strings, tuning, and technique—whether finger-style or pick. It then explores the basics of music theory with such topics as scales, triads, power chords, and fingering and shapes. At the end of this course, students will understand the structure, parts, and accessories of the instrument, in addition to an understanding of its basic maintenance. Electric guitar players will learn the operation of their instrument along with basic options for amplification, effect pedals, and sounds. Students will also learn to develop correct technique and apply theory concepts to their playing. They will have the foundational knowledge necessary to pursue most intermediate guitar courses....

RC

Very impressed in particular with the pace and technical depth of the instructor's videos that taught me how and why the scales and chords are constructed, rather than just having us memorise them.

RR

Oct 12, 2015

Dear Friends,\n\nI really enjoyed this course, specially the way "Thaddeus Hogarth" teach the course, It is unbelievably strong and master piece.\n\nThanks a lot "Thaddeus Hogarth"\n\nGod bless you

26 - 50 of 508 Reviews for Guitar for Beginners

By Jeff R

Oct 05, 2016

I expected something a little more faced paced from Berklee. But it was still good.

By Arturo F C F

Jun 16, 2019

One thing that really should improve is the thing of having students grading other student's work, it is not the best way to grade because their criteria is based on their knowledge and most of the times it is limited to what they understand from the lessons and it might not be accurate. I had to resubmit my activities because I was miss graded with some nonsense feedback, and I feel I'm wasting my time. It would help a lot if someone who actually knew about the subject, graded the projects.

By Nabil S

Jan 22, 2016

While it is a great course for all beginners to the Guitar, the only problem that I see is the grading system that is absolute loony. It is left to other students to grade it and that may or may not show up to be graded by other students. If it is not shown up to be graded by other students then you are left grade-less for that assignment hence leaving you unable to complete this course and you cannot receive your certificate or completion letter.

By ZeroSet

Oct 03, 2019

Lessons are out of order in the end and much needed information on scales (no detail on minor scale??) is left out entirely. But, you can get going on your guitar with this course and learn the basics OK. I wouldn't pay for this course until they fix up lesson #6, add the missing materials and include some detail on minor scales.

By Jim L

May 13, 2016

Too many bugs with Coursera. Issues occur with submissions. System indicates submissions were successfully submitted. Then when you log back in it indicates your assignment is over due. Now I can't

By Oswaldo A

Jan 10, 2016

I was looking for a course for a basic learner, this is not. I feel it very complicate and not friendly for a person with 0% guitar skills.

By Michael B

Jun 20, 2016

Outstanding course! I was an absolute beginner and knew nothing about the guitar or how to play it. I now feel that I have great understanding and a strong foundation to build upon. It starts out fairly easy and takes you step by step through everything you need to know but builds quickly and takes lots of practice to become proficient with each of the lessons, especially if you've never played and instrument before. The biggest benefit from the class is that I know feel comfortable that I have sufficient knowledge that I can continue to develop my skills at my own pace using various on-line resources.

By Krithika

Aug 05, 2016

I have tried to learn guitar through regular classes with three music schools before. But have never been able to find it taught this simplified yet detailed. Kudos to our teacher. The playing gets so much easier when we know the logic. I feel more eager to take my instrument which has been lying in a corner for more than a year now. I just hope i would be able to enough time to practice and stay in touch with the instrument i love. Thanks coursera and Berklee college for this wonderful course and thanks sir for making me feel so much at ease with my guitar..

By Четверухин А А

Dec 20, 2016

Great course and teacher. The beginning seems to be too easy for somebody who studied music before or already plays guitar at least to some extend, but this can be skipped if required (i.e. one can just pass the tests) and then there is a whole bunch if interesting information starting.

The end of the course may be quite difficult for absolute beginners, but if you practice you'll get there or, otherwise, nobody will blaim you if you deliver it a bit later.

Good luck and thanks to coursera and the teacher!

By Marty S

Jun 10, 2020

I am very grateful for this course. I have learned many things ranging from chords and chord progressions to pentatonic scales, how to read sheet music, and now how to use the Audacity and Soundcloud apps, which all makes me feel very accomplished and like a much better musician than when I first started this course :). Learning all the reasons "why" things work the way they do in the musical world has taken a lot of the frustration out of playing since I am more STEM-minded than creative. Thank you!

By Kenda R T

Jul 11, 2017

This is a wonderful course. I took this as a complete beginner. The teacher is very able to explain things for a baby to the guitar world. Though it was a little bit more complicated for me at my level when I took it , towards the latter end of the course, I was still equipped with a great foundation. Due to this foundation, I was able to work with my current guitar teacher, who works mostly with intermediate to advanced players, with a better footing. Thank you for this wonderful course!

By Sandeep H

Aug 24, 2015

Excellent precision. Great teacher...! Not the one who rushes through to complete the lessons in a hurry but he really takes it slow and makes it very understanding for slow learners and beginners.

I love coursera...! Great innovation. Awesome work! Keep it up guys..!

Also Berklee college of music, thank you for making thousands of distressed and unlucky students(for various reasons) be a part of your great culture of music and valuable teaching.

Hats off!!!

By Faisal R S

Jun 29, 2020

I learnt a lot of new things from this course. Every guitar beginner should take up this course.It was very well organized and the content was just up to the mark.Enjoyed a lot.One thing to focus on is peer graded reviews and assignments. Please show honesty in that section. It will benefit both the learner and the reviewer.

Lastly, I want to thank Professor Hogarth for his clear explanations and playing, Berklee College of Music and Coursea

By Mark A S

Mar 01, 2016

Overall, this course is excellent for both beginners and slightly experienced folks - or people wanting a beginning refresher. By the end of the 6th week, if you've practiced and turned in your assignments, you'll have the calluses and knowledge to keep plinking out tunes from the tabs you can find on the Interweb. Prof Hogarth's videos are easy to watch and helpful. The community of users and TAs is friendly and helpful, too.

By Aaron S

Nov 29, 2016

This is a wonderful class. The teacher is very skillful in Guitar and very patient as well. At first I thought it is a very easy class so I choose it as my first MOOC class and I hope I can finish it in a short time. Insteadly I had made some mistakes before my classmate pointed it out and I am really benifit through this class. Many basic knowledge of guitar are produced and some of them is I've not learned before.

By Alan H L

Jun 24, 2020

This was an excellent beginners course for learning the guitar. It differs from other online courses by introducing music theory...which can be challenging to the newby...but yet that that challenges the mind...and is actually very interesting. The instructor is wonderful! Sometimes the material and exercises move too quickly...but this forms a foundation for continual practice and improvement.

By Louis K

Jun 06, 2017

This is a great introductory course! It gives you the basics that along with private lessons get you off and running in the journey to guitar playing. Thaddeus was an excellent instructor and was very complete in his explanations of the musical concepts. I throughly enjoyed this course and completed it before the deadline. Excellent course that I wish had a second course to continue the work.

By El J F

Nov 24, 2015

If you want to see big improvements in your guitar playing, then enroll in this course. The course is well-suited for beginners with or without prior knowledge of the guitar. Everything that you need to know to jumpstart your guitar playing will be discussed in this course. Major takeaways from this course are the beautiful pieces and exercises that will help you have a focused practice session.

By Darío C L

Jul 11, 2016

This is the first online course I take on music and gotta say it was really great. I have some basics on guitar but the theory was never given to me. I just followed. Now I am able to read basic music sheets and even though i still need more practice to fully understand everything the information will still be online. Thank you and keep it up with the great course.

By Levy S

Nov 02, 2018

Clear, concise, nice user interface (UI), easy to navigate.

Great crash course on guitar basics 101.

I used to be an avid guitar player in my younger years, life, family, and work took priority.

This course has helped me get back to basics and build a strong foundation before I continue into music theory courses.

I'm stacking this with Rocksmith for that extra edge.

By Biren M

Jun 26, 2020

This course if very good for Beginner Guitarist or anyone who is planning to learn guitar as this course covers all the basics for guitar playing and theory knowledge required while learning a guitar. The lessons are very interesting and tutor is also quite experienced. I had a great time learning it and suggest others to also enroll for this course.

By Victoria C

Jun 28, 2020

Thank you Thaddeus Hogarth for patiently teaching us the skill require to start with all about Guitar. Thank you peers for reviewing my work. I enjoyed every bit of it even though sone times I felt like I need to give my fingers and my brains rest. This was by far the most enjoyable course on coursera to me.

By Mark P

Jun 04, 2020

Good course for beginners. Covers all the basics in a very quick survey. The course taught me how to digitally record my playing. I became familiar with playing scales, and learned about time signatures and reading notes and tablature. I'm inspired and am off to take the next Guitar course in the series.

By Blaike B

Oct 22, 2015

So far this course is amazing! The teacher is phenomenal and will most defiantly help me with my guitar. Within the first week I have realized that there is so much more to a guitar than just the guitar, the picks, and the case. I recommend this course for anyone looking on information on the guitar.

By Jorge S

Jul 31, 2020

I loved everything about the course but I think that the last peer review part still needs to be polished as I was constantly going to see if someone has a pending review and none appeared. It was until I asked in the forums that people asked for help as their assignments have been peer reviewed.