Back to Health Across the Gender Spectrum

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Health Across the Gender Spectrum by Stanford University

This course offers an intimate, story-based introduction to the experiences of six transgender children and their families. Through illustrated stories and short teaching videos, learners will gain a better understanding of gender identity and the gender spectrum. Stanford physicians, K-12 educators, and transgender faculty members offer practical tips for parents, teachers, healthcare providers and anyone who wants to help create a more gender-expansive environment - one in which all people can live authentically. As a global community of unique individuals, we can begin to build a world that is ready to nurture and love each and every child. Due to the sensitive nature of the story-based course content, we have chosen not to offer course certificates for this course. Simply put, we feel that the thoughts, ideas and sentiments of these remarkable children and their families... are priceless. We are confident that, like us, you will end up learning more from them than you could ever imagine. Together, we can lay a stronger foundation for all children. Join us as we explore health, across the gender spectrum. Additional note: When submitting answers to quizzes, you may be asked to enter your "full legal name". This feature is primarily for verification purposes for courses that offer a certificate on Coursera, so it does not really apply to this course. We recognize that, for some individuals the name they use does not match the one on their legal documents. Please feel free to enter the name you normally use in these boxes....

PB
May 10, 2017

I have thoroughly enjoyed this course. My stepson (born a female) is transgender. This course has helped me understand things more and gave me a lot of pointers on how to do things. Thank you so much!

CM

I love how concise and easy to understand the videos were. They all get straight to the point and it was really a mind-blowing experience to learn about the differences and what we can do to support.

76 - 100 of 517 Reviews for Health Across the Gender Spectrum

Aug 20, 2017

This is a great course, but it feels more like watching a documentary about transgender than an actual learning course. Also it focuses mainly on transgender, so the title was a bit misleading. I thought that other genders would be discussed, but instead they were only mentioned once, briefly, in one video. But it was still a fun course to take.

By Fabíola M

May 7, 2021

Devo parabenizar a sensibilidade e tamanho respeito mútuo ao decorrer do curso. Foi um grande aprendizado, me sinto verdadeiramente abraçada e sem sombra de dúvidas buscarei entender mais o lado das pessoas que ainda precisam lutar muito por um mundo onde o amor e menos preconceitos aconteçam. All the love and thank you so much to everyone 💖

By Ester V

Jun 1, 2017

Great course. Lovely stories, lovely graphics, human and gentle narrative yet informative, thorough and up to date content. Great resource for families at the beginning of their journey with a gender diverse child, for others wanting to sGender them, for teachers, neighbours, media, politician, policy makers... And health professionals!

By Laurie B

Jun 9, 2017

I was worried at first that this was going to be a little too "cute" about what it means to be transgender. However, I think this course presented a good variety of experiences from the perspective of professionals, parents, and transgender people of all ages. I think it is a wonderful resource and appreciate that it was offered for free.

By Kalika S

Jul 17, 2020

The course helped me learn more and be aware, It includes great animated videos and stories one can connect with. Hearing the kids talk about their issues, problems and experiences and specially what helped them and made them happy and feel natural and good had a great influnce on me as a learner. it really helped me connect and learn.

By Kristina B

Apr 14, 2017

Fantastic course! I think you could expand the title though not just to be about health because it really includes much more. Teachers and others may not have taken the course because ti specifically says health but it is so important for them to become familiar with this content as well to help build a more gender inclusive society.

By Hannah C

May 8, 2017

Informative, insightful and thoughtful course that ideally all healthcare providers, educators etc. would take. Maya Adam was a professor of mine as an undergraduate and now, as a clinician, I'm so pleased to see she's continuing to do important and transformative work that's accessible to healthcare providers and others everywhere.

By Kailin K

This was a great introductory course! The material is approachable and informative. I took this course as a health educator to see if there were other ways to support youth and was able to take away many pieces from this course. I would recommend for anyone who is looking for basic ways to understand and support transgender youth.

By Simon M

Aug 26, 2017

I found this short course informative and easy to understand. It contains useful, practical help for people working with transgender individuals, honest and open testimony from transgender individuals and their parents.. and great examples for transgender people to show the respect and acceptance that everybody should receive.

By Jessica W

Aug 30, 2020

What an amazing course! It humanized the topic by using the stories of children, their families, and transgender Individuals. It's one thing to learn about different gender identities and sexual orientations in a textbook, it's another to hear it directly from people themselves. Highly highly recommend for new perspectives!

By Alyssa C

I would have loved if the course had an overview explaining that it is meant for individuals without much experience with the LGBTQIA+ community. For me, this course was a review of information that I had already learned, but I would definitely recommend this course for those who are new to learning about gender diversity.

By Maria

Jul 16, 2020

¡It was a beautiful and enriching course to do! What I loved the most about it was that it makes you engage in your own gender identity and that way you can identify which things in your life have shaped this characteristic, and therefore understand better how it might work differently for transgender people. Thank you.

By Pamela M L

May 3, 2020

I highly recommend this course to get a profound grasp and understanding of the gender spectrum and its challenges but also to gain awareness of our responsibility as part of the society, community, as a friend and relative when it comes to making this life a better one for everybody. Thank you for this beautiful work.

By Linda J G

Exceptionally helpful, having recently learned that my biological grandson is a girl. The course opened my mind to an entirely new understanding of what it means to be human. It expands my horizons and makes me a better person, learning something about which I knew nothing. This is just the beginning. Thank you.

By Rita F A

Dec 14, 2017

This course was very useful. When I saw this course, I knew I had to enroll because it touches pretty close to home on a lot of issues in my own life that are similar. This course gave me tools that I can use so to interact and educate others around me about equality and letting everyone just be who they are.

By Jesús A A S

Sep 28, 2020

Este curso fue un maravilloso viaje por el amplio espectro de género. Me siento más preparado para incluir y buscar ser incluido en mi comunidad y en la sociedad. Tenemos que tomar acción y generar cambios poco a poco. Me siento agradecido y afortunado de haber tomado este curso y de haber aprendido tanto.

By Carlos A Z

May 8, 2020

Es interesante toda la información que el curso presenta y la manera de exponerlo y presentarlo es sumamente atractiva y fácil de analizar.

Estoy muy contento con tener esta herramienta para el ambiente de la salud, ya que en la actualidad estos temas son importantes para un correcto trato a los pacientes.

By Vicky R

Apr 11, 2017

This was a very interesting and mind-opening course. I have to admit that I did not give much thought to transgender, and I am very glad that this course was suggested by Maya Adam, MD in another course. I hope this information spreads around the world and we all become more inclusive and caring.

By Faye M

Jan 26, 2018

Gave me a great depth of knowledge about what it's like to go through the process of identifying and transitioning to a gender other than the one assigned at birth. It was really nice to hear some real life experiences from the perspective of both parents and children too. Would really recommend

By Paula M D G

Jun 24, 2018

In addition to being very instructive, it was an extremely delicate and beautiful course. With each story I was moved and learned a lot about being able to listen to learning and also about having more empathy. It is a course that will add a lot to my profession and my life as a human being

By Adriana V H

Aug 11, 2020

Me encantó este curso. Después de hacerlo salgo con una mente más abierta, un entendimiento de lo que pasan las personas transgénero y con esto espero crear un ambiente de más inclusión. Muchas gracias por toda la información, gracias por los videos tan lindos que nos hacen vivenciarlo más

By Gayle S S M

Aug 17, 2017

This was a thoughtful series of educational lectures with any number of practice changing ideas to enhance the care of my patients. It is well worth the time spent to self-educate on an important topic and contains additional resources for further study and for patient/parent sharing.

By Paula

Jun 11, 2020

Es un curso que te abre la mente, pone en discusión un tema que muchas veces es ignorado y dejado de lado, y lo hace con información concisa, ejemplos claros, testimonios de personas transgénero, permitiendo una mejor y más cercana comprensión de lo que significa el ser transgenero.

By Elisa C

Nov 3, 2017

I found the course very inspiring and helpful: it made me disclose a wide world i was not that acknowledged about. Thank you very much for this opportunity! I really hope people mentality could widen and be receptive and sensible to such delicate themes.

I feel a better person now.