Back to The History of Modern Israel – Part I: From an Idea to a State

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The History of Modern Israel – Part I: From an Idea to a State by Tel Aviv University

How did the State of Israel come to be? How is it that an idea, introduced in 19th century Europe, became a reality? And how does that reality prevail in the harsh complexities of the Middle East? Presented by Professor Eyal Naveh, with additional units from Professor Asher Sussers' "The Emergence of the Modern Middle East" course, This course will take you on a journey through the history of Modern Israel. In this 1st part of the course we will explore: How did the 19th century idea of a Jewish state become a reality? So the next time you hear about Israel in the news, you will be informed enough about the history of this area to comprehend the many sides and narratives that interact to shape the complex reality of Israel today. Please note that there is a second part to this course "The History of Modern Israel - Part II: Challenges of Israel as a sovereign state" which is a direct extension of this part. We highly recommend to continue to the second part after you finish this one (https://www.coursera.org/learn/history-israel-sovereign-state). In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool * This course is a joint effort of Tel Aviv University & Israel Institute (www.israelinstitute.org) * This course uses media material from various archives, courtesy to Yad Vashem Archive for their help. * This course is self-paced. Once you register, you can participate in the course anytime, as often as you wish and over any stretch of time...

TA
Sep 26, 2019

"The History of Modern Israel – Part I: From an Idea to a State" is a time demanding course for all of us nowadays to know the real history of modern Israel. Thanks Coursera for the such opportunity.

Sep 29, 2020

It gave me more insight for me about Israel history. The tutors explained it in a simple way, although some parts of the materials were a little bit difficult to understand

51 - 75 of 193 Reviews for The History of Modern Israel – Part I: From an Idea to a State

Dec 27, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was really quite informative. I am now onto another course at TAU and looking forward to learning more.

By John K

Oct 5, 2020

Excellent. Thorough. Thoughtful. Great professor(s). I would have enjoyed a few more quizzes along the way. Highly recommended.

By José A G M

May 23, 2017

Excellent explanations by the teachers, thanks to them I know more about the history of my family, because I have Jewish family.

By Ekaterina B

Oct 3, 2020

Wonderful course with all the necessary information. Great to add it to one's education (especially to the Middle East studies)

By enriqueta a h

Aug 4, 2020

simple, clear and blunt language, reliable information, continually being updated, very interesting course Congratulations

By Alessandro R C

Mar 18, 2018

Alto nivel de conocimiento sobre la historia de Israel. Mi visión sobre la cuestión Palestina es mucho más clara. Gracias.

By Sirus E

Oct 8, 2020

I belive that this lecture is really benefical for my career and also education.Thanks for all of new informations🙃🤗

By Paccelli J M Z

Dec 3, 2018

É um excelente curso! Apresenta uma outra visão do Estado de Israel, diferente daquela que lemos na mídia. Recomendo!

By Lenka J

May 5, 2018

I understand well, only with test I had little problems due my English language. But all capture was interesting.

By Ben F

May 27, 2018

Great general overview for someone totally new to the material. Very informative and professionally presented.

By JOHN Q

Dec 7, 2015

I think this has been a nice wrap of following the Holocaust course. I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks.

By Matheus V d C M M

May 12, 2020

Great course for those who like history and want to understand better the conflict between Jews ans Arabs.

By Fernando M J S

Apr 17, 2020

Curso de muy buena calidad para quienes iniciamos en el proceso de conocimiento de la historia de Israel.

By Jorge D A G

Jul 9, 2019

I have founded really interesting, perhaps it was almost unknown for me. Congratulations to the teachers.

By rony p r

Nov 17, 2016

Good course. This course will clear the history of Jewish state in sequential order. Presented very well

Feb 8, 2016

Challenging material with great opportunities to get more background information for further studying.

By Rosa L W

Jun 9, 2020

Excelente curso! Muy bien explicado tanto por los profesores como por los conferencistas invitados.

By Andrea E S

Jun 29, 2016

Excellent course that gives new light on such a provocative and discussed tragedy in human history.

By Praveenkumar S H

Jun 25, 2016

Excellent content and delivery. Gave me a good perspective of history around Israel and Palestine.

By Eric B

May 21, 2016

This course gives a simple but clear bone structure upon which to hang further study on the topic.

By Renjitthomas

Sep 6, 2018

Very good very detailed and advanced questions for quizz which require a lot of general reading

By Katarina M

Dec 3, 2017

Great course, very much needed as so much incorrect information circles around about Israel.

By Thomas E

Nov 23, 2015

Thanks for this very interesting class. Hope to see released in a near future the follow up!

By Michelle W

Apr 28, 2020

I learned a lot. I liked the way the class was run and the length. Loved the instructor.

By Angela T

Aug 22, 2017

Very interesting course which covers a lot of material that I was not previously aware of.