Back to Chinese for HSK 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for HSK 1 by Peking University

Nǐ hǎo! 你好!Welcome to Chinese for HSK Level 1 - a Chinese course for beginners. My name is YU Bin. I am very happy to meet you here! HSK stands for Hànyǔ (Chinese) Shuǐpíng (level) Kǎoshì (test), which is the most important Chinese proficiency test in use today. It assesses non-native Chinese speakers’ abilities in using Chinese in their daily, academic and professional lives. Chinese for HSK Level 1 is the first part of the 6 levels and assesses test takers’ abilities in the application of everyday Chinese. It is the counterpart of Level 1 of the Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Languages and the A1 Level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. You will learn:  30 video lectures with dialogue role plays by PKU students;  More than 150 commonly used words;  Around 50 key grammar points;  New words and texts via audio;  Quizzes for each lesson and HSK test papers;  Videos for 70 basic Chinese characters (optional);  Supplementary materials about China (optional). In short, the course covers the four skills although only listening and reading are tested in HSK. At the end of the course, you will be able to understand and use simple Chinese phrases, meet basic needs for communication and possess the ability to further your Chinese language studies. Have a fantastic journey of Chinese learning. For more information about HSK please visit: http://english.hanban.org/node_7581.htm....

AG
Jan 4, 2019

finally an online course that delivers, great way to kickstart or reboot your chinese. the formula of the lesson is simple and easy to follow, a fantastic way to start, definitely moving on to HSK2

TR
May 22, 2019

Excellent course, Yu Bin explains the material very well and the content is well organised. I would have liked further explanations on the grammar and additional practice exercises beyond the quiz

26 - 50 of 524 Reviews for Chinese for HSK 1

By Jesús A M M

Dec 3, 2016

This course was worth every minute I spent on it. My Chinese vocabulary increased a lot along with my ability to communicate in the language. The course is well structured so that it is always interesting to follow, you grab most of the 150 HSK 1 words in a way that does not feel awkward (Peking University did a great job grouping them) and the basic grammar without actually studying it (i.e. without memorizing structures). The professor and the staff are excellent, and the material is not less than first-rate.

I learned more in this 6-week course (7, but the last week is just the final test) than in 3 months attending to (Chinese) classroom class.

By Bhavik A M

Dec 28, 2017

This is a great course for anyone who wants to start learning Mandarin Chinese. It does exactly what it says; prepares you for Chinese for HSK Level 1. It is a great course for anyone who wants to pick up the language. Be sure to have the time to do this course because it does require you to spend 6 hours a week (for complete beginners). The additional Writing Chinese Characters sections were also very helpful.

I will be continuing onto the Level 2 course in the New Year once I've gone through the material in this course one more time. Language learning is not easy so make sure you dive in when you've got the right amount of time!

By Julie

Feb 20, 2020

I have really enjoyed this course. It is well structured with a manageable amount of words/phrases to learn in each lesson. I also liked that there was a balance between reading, listening, speaking and writing. The course instructor was fantastic and it has been wonderful watching and learning with her everyday. I have been learning Chinese before I move to Shanghai later this year and after doing this course, I have been confident enough to sign up for my HSK 1 exam next month! Thank you so much for all of your help and putting me on the path to successfully learning Chinese! Looking forward to moving on to HSK 2 with you! : )

By Candy L

Dec 28, 2020

Tai hao le!! I learned so much in this course, it's really structured so well and if you follow the modules the repetition of speaking, reading and listening helps. Print out the worksheets and study the hanzi on your own, be sure to memorize them for reading. Memorize your vocabulary and sentences as well as grammar. I really appreciate this course and excited to move on to the next level! I can speak Chinese and hear it now, after just a few weeks. (I took this course in 2.5 weeks)

Instuctor: Please include self study worksheets and a final study sheet with vocabulary before the final test to help self study! Thank you!

By Enid C

Jun 18, 2017

The course was very good. I learned to say phrases that are more idiomatic than I epected they would be.

For instance, "learn to drive" turns out to be, "xue che" rather than xuehui che.. I learned another use of ne when asking questions. And very importantly I learned the Han zi for 4 Great classical works., as swell as some facts about China.I recommend the course to those who are beginning the study of Chinese, i have studied for a long time and would like an intermediate level course. Thank you for helping me with some important and daily use phrases and for important info about China.

By Michael Z

Aug 20, 2017

This course offers a great introduction to Chinese! I started this course with no background in Chinese, and I know have a great grasp of basic concepts. You probably won't end the course with the ability to write, or even recognize, Chinese characters, but you will be able to listen to and speak about some elementary concepts. It is taught with both pinyin and Chinese characters, so you can focus on writing with pinyin and recognizing (not necessarily practicing the ability to write all of) the characters. The weekly quizzes are very useful for testing your grasp of the concepts, too.

By TAN S C P

Apr 23, 2017

Have completed HSK Level 1 and have benefited much from this Course. I am now able to converse basic Mandarin to food vendors and friends, Wish to provide a few feedbacks for improvement. Certain Videos are slightly faulty, and the certain audio of two of the Weekly Test are not available. Also, the Chinese writing strokes be given stroke by stroke and at the end to mention the words and the meaning. Wish to say Thank You to my Teacher Yu Bin for teaching me. I wish to proceed t o HSK Level 2. Could I continue with the Lesson 2, again with financial assistance.

By Mujahid A

Dec 7, 2017

The course is perfectly designed for the beginners. It has made learning Chinese very easy and fun. I could not imagine how easy it is to learn Chinese via the course. I recommend you take this course if you want to learn mandarin in no time. I am really thankful to teacher Yu Bin and the team. My first step towards learning Chinese inspired me and was very easy. Now, I think I can learn the whole Chinese language. I will keep taking steps and pray for you. May you also keep going.

Thank you once again Miss Yu Bin and the team.

Regards: Mujahid Ali

By Ashley G

Sep 29, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! Short lectures, lots of practice with listening and reading as well as with character recognition. I also really liked that the questions we practiced with in the lectures and quizzes were the same types that we would see in the final exam. My favorite part, though, may have actually been the peer assessment and submission. I liked that I had to speak and put it out there for my peers to listen to and review. It certainly helped! I would definitely recommend this course to beginner chinese language learners.

By Melanie R

Oct 30, 2017

I really enjoyed taking this class. Professor Yu's explanations are very clear and the pace is progressive enough for complete beginners to complete the course. All the vocabulary and grammar you need to pass the HSK1 test is also covered. Resources such as a textbook can help you revise afterwards. I'd tested a couple of other Chinese language MOOCs before and this is the best I found. Effective and very enjoyable to watch. Thank you to all the team of Peking University that provided us with such quality contents.

By Harry A

Aug 20, 2017

I had some vocabulary with almost no grammar coming into this course and this helped me organize my basics to a level where I'm more confident listening to and talking to Chinese friends.

Highly recommended for beginners and people with some Chinese who have not yet done HSK1. Reading Chinese characters isn't required, but you'll pick up some of them automatically. There are optional materials that show how you write Chinese characters. The quizzes/tests are all listening and reading.

By Domenic B

Nov 19, 2016

This is a great course to prepare for the HSK 1. I really think I could not have completed the course successfully without having prior knowledge of Chinese though. While there are no prerequisites for the course, I recommend that a person have some background with the language; otherwise you will be overwhelmed by the third week and perhaps lose interest. There are a number of free resources on the internet, and particularly You Tube videos, to become familiar with the language.

By Michael E

Oct 24, 2020

This course has a great structure with a combination of learning speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills. I feel that this course adequately prepares you for the HSK Level 1 test. My recommendation for this course would be to provide a list of all of the vocabulary words needed for the HSK exam on 1 document. It would be nice to get some sort of study guide to review the materials. I will continue to study Chinese and this course has given me a great foundation. Thank you!

By Onalenna T T

Nov 19, 2017

This course is excellent! I can only recommend it tenfold! It gives you all the information you need for hsk 1 level. The flexiblilty was a very encouraging factor. The course is excellently planned, with great teachers and advice. I found it really helpful and I am now more encouraged than ever to continue studying Chinese! I am thankful for the opportunity learn Chinese and to have access to material I otherwise would not have access to, available at any time.

Thank you Coursera!

By Khairul A S N

Jul 23, 2020

Firstly, this is more advanced in nature as it is tailored towards attaining HSK 1. Second, the teaching method is great and easier to understand. The role-play is not awkward and they used native actors, not a foreigner. The test is moderately hard and involved a lot of listening questions. The final week test, I think is the hardest among all. I'm surprised by the amount of question they put. Thank you Coursera and Peking University for designing such a great course.

By Akmaral S

Dec 17, 2017

This course gives you a feeling that you are having a real ONSITE course. Very simple and useful method, it is worth to start, one by one all courses, and to achieve the HSK 6 level without any stresses. You will get a lot of joy, friends all over the world while joining to the communicating forums together with teachers and developers.

At the same time, you will be able to speak, read and write in Chinese, and will have very good knowledge in gramma. This is for sure!

By Lien C

Oct 5, 2018

Excellent course! Very good instructor! Video lectures are 5-10min each, which I think is the perfect length!

The course is well-structured, and materials are a mix of listening and reading, with a variety of good-sized everyday life dialogues. I personally don't find the writing section very helpful but I seek a separate book for that purpose.

Overall, an excellent course and I highly recommend for all beginners! It makes learning Chinese particularly interesting!

By Jeanette K

Feb 23, 2019

Such a useful course and I really appreciated their use of different materials to help us learn the material. The teacher is very clear in her pronunciation and her examples. I also appreciate they differentiate between what is necessary material for the HSK L1 test and what is "extra" learning. This course, along with my tutor I speak with on Skype, I feel my confidence in Chinese has doubled already since January! Can't wait to begin Level 2!

By David H

Jul 21, 2019

Decent self-paced course for a challenging language. To a fair degree, you choose the level of difficulty yourself. At the base level, it teaches and tests listening skills and one can choose to pursue using the phonetic pinyin form only. You can extend it to reading the ideograms themselves or even to write them. It may be difficult to stay on their schedule if you did so since there are 150 or so characters to be mastered.

By Derya Y

Mar 13, 2019

Compared to many other online courses outside of Coursera, this online course is the most efficient so far. A very high quality course for Chinese learners from the oldest university in China. Ms Yu Bin´s Chinese classes provides a very high level of learning experience for disciplined learners. After completing the HSK 1 course, it seems to be impossible to fail the HSK1 test.

Thank you very much to the 北京 大学 汉语水平考试 Team!

By Hilal Ö

Dec 22, 2020

I really liked the course. All the lessons were so easy to understand and I can't explain how good it was with a few words. Every dialogue was needed and enough, every material was efficient. I also really liked how the final exam is similar to HSK exams so we can get some idea about it too. It was beneficial and I will definitely continue to learn through this HSK Chinese series for sure. Thanks for the good work!

By Raúl V M

Oct 9, 2020

This course was really nice and easy to follow. The explanations were clear, and the content propely structured. I really liked the fact that a lot of listening output was offered, without missing essential parts such as writing hanzi properly. The fact that not only are preparing you for HSK1 but to learn Chinese in itself was really appreciated. I will definitely follow up with the Chinese for HSK2.

May 4, 2020

Thank you so much for the opportunity to fill in some of my gaps! I have lived in China now for over 7 years but have always struggled with my listening and speaking skills [as well as not knowing many of the characters around me]. You have already gone a long way towards plugging up those pesky holes and helping me grow some confidence again in trying to learn Chinese :) God bless to you all!

By Maria I F

Aug 31, 2020

I loved the course. I had started learning Chinese a year ago but had stopped studying for a while. This course helped me to get back on track and it helped me to remember many words and grammar structures I had forgotten about. I loved the dialogues, exercises, and quizzes. Thank you very much for this great course. I plan to take the next course and continue learning Chinese.

By Virginia H

Aug 25, 2020

This course was a great introduction to Chinese, and also provided optimal exercises similar enough to the actual HSK test. The content for each lesson is appropriately divided by categories, making it easier to find what you're looking for when you don't remember something well. Having an HSK mock exam as the final test will also prove very useful when taking the real version.