Back to Chinese for HSK 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for HSK 1 by Peking University

Nǐ hǎo! 你好!Welcome to Chinese for HSK Level 1 - a Chinese course for beginners. My name is YU Bin. I am very happy to meet you here! HSK stands for Hànyǔ (Chinese) Shuǐpíng (level) Kǎoshì (test), which is the most important Chinese proficiency test in use today. It assesses non-native Chinese speakers’ abilities in using Chinese in their daily, academic and professional lives. Chinese for HSK Level 1 is the first part of the 6 levels and assesses test takers’ abilities in the application of everyday Chinese. It is the counterpart of Level 1 of the Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Languages and the A1 Level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. You will learn:  30 video lectures with dialogue role plays by PKU students;  More than 150 commonly used words;  Around 50 key grammar points;  New words and texts via audio;  Quizzes for each lesson and HSK test papers;  Videos for 70 basic Chinese characters (optional);  Supplementary materials about China (optional). In short, the course covers the four skills although only listening and reading are tested in HSK. At the end of the course, you will be able to understand and use simple Chinese phrases, meet basic needs for communication and possess the ability to further your Chinese language studies. Have a fantastic journey of Chinese learning. For more information about HSK please visit: http://english.hanban.org/node_7581.htm....

AG

Jan 05, 2019

finally an online course that delivers, great way to kickstart or reboot your chinese. the formula of the lesson is simple and easy to follow, a fantastic way to start, definitely moving on to HSK2

TR

May 23, 2019

Excellent course, Yu Bin explains the material very well and the content is well organised. I would have liked further explanations on the grammar and additional practice exercises beyond the quiz

26 - 50 of 300 Reviews for Chinese for HSK 1

By Lien C

Oct 05, 2018

Excellent course! Very good instructor! Video lectures are 5-10min each, which I think is the perfect length!

The course is well-structured, and materials are a mix of listening and reading, with a variety of good-sized everyday life dialogues. I personally don't find the writing section very helpful but I seek a separate book for that purpose.

Overall, an excellent course and I highly recommend for all beginners! It makes learning Chinese particularly interesting!

By Jeanette K

Feb 23, 2019

Such a useful course and I really appreciated their use of different materials to help us learn the material. The teacher is very clear in her pronunciation and her examples. I also appreciate they differentiate between what is necessary material for the HSK L1 test and what is "extra" learning. This course, along with my tutor I speak with on Skype, I feel my confidence in Chinese has doubled already since January! Can't wait to begin Level 2!

By David H

Jul 21, 2019

Decent self-paced course for a challenging language. To a fair degree, you choose the level of difficulty yourself. At the base level, it teaches and tests listening skills and one can choose to pursue using the phonetic pinyin form only. You can extend it to reading the ideograms themselves or even to write them. It may be difficult to stay on their schedule if you did so since there are 150 or so characters to be mastered.

By Derya Y

Mar 13, 2019

Compared to many other online courses outside of Coursera, this online course is the most efficient so far. A very high quality course for Chinese learners from the oldest university in China. Ms Yu Bin´s Chinese classes provides a very high level of learning experience for disciplined learners. After completing the HSK 1 course, it seems to be impossible to fail the HSK1 test.

Thank you very much to the 北京 大学 汉语水平考试 Team!

By Charles A H V

May 04, 2020

Thank you so much for the opportunity to fill in some of my gaps! I have lived in China now for over 7 years but have always struggled with my listening and speaking skills [as well as not knowing many of the characters around me]. You have already gone a long way towards plugging up those pesky holes and helping me grow some confidence again in trying to learn Chinese :) God bless to you all!

By Victor Y

Jan 10, 2020

The content is explained clearly and progresses at a good pace. I already had one semester of college Mandarin and a year of self study before taking this course, but I wanted a refresher. Even though I'm not quite a beginner, I still gained some new insight on using Mandarin in practical settings. Overall, I would highly recommend this course for beginners.

By Pierre S

Jan 29, 2017

A great course for starting to learn Chinese with the additional goal of learning to pass the important HSK level 1 proficiency test. Instructor is YU Bin is one of most dedicated college professor I have ever meet in my years taking courses at university or Coursera! It really shows in her teaching style and the constant feedback that she provides.

By Alfia W

Jun 19, 2017

This course is an enjoyable way to prepare for or review the HSK 1 test materials. Teacher Yu Bin is very pleasant and easy to understand. The video dialogues incorporate real-life grammar and vocabulary. Be sure to use the class resources, which include the texts and translations of dialogues, vocabulary lists, and more. Excellent class.

By Joao F

May 01, 2017

I love it, very well done the teacher explains with examples and inside the videos there are a lot of exercises. The part that I like the most its the listening section, the other Chinese courses don't have that and like the title of the course this is a great step to get to know the HSK test from 1 - 3.2 here with Pekin University

By Wallis

Jul 12, 2017

I've learnt a lot from Chinese for HSK 1. Thank you Ms Yu Bin and all mentors as you all made learning Chinese a pleasure. This course is clear, easy to understand and well structured. I will continue until HSK 3. Hopefully, preparation course for HSK 4 will be offered in the near future. Sitting for HSK 4 exam is my goal.

By Steve H

Jan 05, 2019

Excellent resource for preparing for the HSK 1 exam. I used this course as a refresher as I prepare for the HSK 3 exam, working my way up. I will complete the HSK 2 course here as well before taking the HSK 3 course. I am confident that if I continue to apply my study method that I will pass the exams using these courses.

By Cuong H K

Apr 01, 2019

I just say one thing. If you ever wanted to learn Chinese, and struggling about finding the right path to learn it. This series is the right path. You just need to follow the lectures. No textbooks needed, no boring lectures, the two things you need to learn this language is time and passion. Happy learning Chinese!

By Cornelia H

Jan 09, 2018

Very professional course, easy-to-follow and complete. I was amazed by how fast I progressed. After one and a half month only, I could follow basic conversations, read and write almost 150 words and express basic needs in Chinese. The course’s videos helped to get used to the speed of Chinese native speakers.

By mae

Oct 02, 2017

A well made Chinese language course, the course materials are really up to date and helpful for everyday conversation furthermore the course content for each week are well planned and easy to follow. The course taught a few aspects in learning writing, reading, listening and including some of Chinese culture.

By Arnold B

May 21, 2017

A superb introduction to Chinese. I had previously been using Rosetta Stone but HSK 1 is much better for the following reasons: 1) listening to actual dialogs 2) grammar explanations provided 3) details of each dialog including translation and 4) learning to write the characters. Very well done program.

By Lauren F

Apr 29, 2019

My spoken and written Mandarin have improved compared to when I was learning exclusively with mobile phone app. I enjoyed the variety of listening and reading exercises in the quizzes. I feel that the study material in this course would help me to be adequately prepared to write the HSK Level 1 test.

By Alecs S L

Dec 27, 2019

I have taken HSK 1 courses in classroom setting back in high school and college. I took HSK 1 again online as a refresher course. I can honestly say that this course has been very helpful. It provided sufficient materials for the lessons and the program was easy to follow. Thank you so much!

By Olga

Oct 02, 2019

Хорошо структурированный материал. После каждого урока есть маленький тест, и в конце недели-тоже, но с большим количеством вопросов. Это очень удобно. Также есть учебник со всем материалом.

Единственное, звук слишком тихий, когда говорит преподаватель, а звук заставки просто зашкаливает.

By Elena G

Oct 26, 2016

I have enjoyed this course very much so far. The pace is perfectly balanced, while also being challenging and entertaining - the lectures are very clear and the exercises are varied. I would certainly recommend it to anyone interested in picking up Chinese, regardless of the HSK exam.

By Adriana G

Jun 07, 2017

I love it ! I learnt a lot ! The content is well-designed. The teacher is nice. The course is challenging but it has a good pace. Even if you are not taking the HSK, this is an excellent course for learning vocabulary, expressions, grammar and interesting information about China.

By Carlos C O

Jan 05, 2019

UN CURSO EXCELENTE. PERMITE CONOCER LAS BASES DE ESTE HERMOSO IDIOMA DE FORMA AMENA, CON DIÁLOGOS ENTRETENIDOS, FRASES DEL DIARIO VIVIR, VOCABULARIO IMPORTANTE Y UNA BUENA BASE PARA PODER DAR EL HKS 1. YO LO DÍ Y ME FUE MUY BIEN, GRACIAS A ESTE CURSO.

ALTAMENTE RECOMENDABLE!!!

By Birke U

Mar 30, 2018

The course is very structured and a lot of tests are included to prepare you for the final HSK-1 Test. The teacher has a very clear pronunciation as also the students in the lectures. Grammar is also included according to HSK level 1 I guess. I enjoy the course. Great work.

By Jazmin A C M

May 22, 2020

A very complete course to introduce you into Chinese. I personally had some knowledge but it's been a time since I actually applied it. I loved being introduced again in this way. Everything is made so you can go on your own pace. Heading to the next course right now.

By Seán R M A

May 31, 2018

Very pleased with all aspects of this course. The lessons were well thought out, the presentation excellent, and the level of difficulty increased as the course went on. I feel very prepared to use Mandarin Chinese at a basic level, and plan to continue my studies.

By Santino D M

Nov 25, 2017

I without a doubt recommend this course, everything is explained clearly and teacher Yu Bin is very professional, my cheers also goes to the students who made the dialogue videos. I really feel i learnt the basics and I will definitively jump onto the HSK2 course