Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

Mar 22, 2019

I've taken a number of online courses on linguistics now, and this one was by and far the best. The material covered is indepth and engaging, and the professor's enthusiam makes the videos a delight.

51 - 75 of 320 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Nina D

Oct 23, 2016

Excellent course!

By Pablo

Jul 26, 2016

I very much liked the professor, he has a contagious energy and is entertaining to hear and watch. Overall an excellent course, learned a lot

By hamza b

May 05, 2017

Excellent course. It gives a general introduction to different branches of linguistics.

By José A C R

Mar 21, 2017

A very good introduction to linguisticis.

By Cezar N

Aug 22, 2016

Just perfect, even for post-graduate students in Linguistics!

By Carl X

Feb 26, 2018

It is indeed a miracle!

By Isadora S V d R U

Jul 05, 2016

A wonderful course on principles in Linguistics presented by this lovely professor Dr. Marc van Oostendorp and enriched with the discussions with Marten and Inge. As a Linguistics and Literature student, I felt that they found what was a very nice way to spread this knowledge and, in my case, a more concise discipline in which I could refresh my memory for somethings but also get to know new informations and different points of view and, at last, as an observer from Brazil, to compare a little how these things are discussed here from there. Thank you very much for the hard work and the entousiasm!

By Julia S

Mar 26, 2017

It was knowledgeable and fun! I updated my knowledge bank about language.

By Bertille M

Feb 11, 2017

Excellent MOOC! Prof. van Oostendorp has done a wonderful job, asking students and colleagues to intervene. Extremely interesting!

By firdaus

Mar 31, 2018

In everyday life we don't even think about our privilege in communicating with each other as human beings and what a complex mechanism it is. From finite quantity of words we can build infinite number of meaningful sentences. Isn't that a miracle? The course was very interesting and useful. I am very thankful.

By Leon E V A

Jun 12, 2017

Great course, I learned a lot and now I'm very interested in learning more about linguistics.

By Daniela P A

Jan 18, 2017

Very informative and very fun, you can learn a lot from it.

By Daria K

Nov 06, 2016

The course is itself a miracle. The topic has been presented in a very interesting way thanks to the Professor, his motivating way of teaching and his discussions with students. It was a challenge for me, it demanded a lot of own studying but I feel I have learned a lot about the topic and also got a motivation to learn more. Thank you.

By Naomi

Dec 02, 2016

Loved this course! The professor was informative and engaging, and Inge and Martin made the class interesting and fun. I also enjoyed the interviews with other experts in the field.

By Jeyana M

Aug 07, 2016

"Miracles of Human Language" is a great introductory course for those who want to get into linguistics, but it is also an amazing course for writers, teachers, psychologists and all lifelong learners interested in a topic.

I'm very grateful to Prof. Dr Marc van Oostendorp, his students and everyone who was involved in creating this course. I also want to say thanks to coursera team for making this course available for so many learners.

This course inspired me to start learning Spanish and French (I now spend some time on duolingo.com every day, and with a great pleasure).

Also, after finishing this course, I felt confident enough to start an important writing project (a book for children with a goal to prevent child abuse, the book is in Russian).

In this course the idea of changing the world with your words is presented in such a simple and convincing way, that it's impossible to resist. I think this course made me a better teacher, a better writer and a happier person.

By Linda K

Feb 08, 2017

Great course!!

By Andrés M

Jan 26, 2017

Excelente para refrescar la memoria respecto a aspectos básicos de la lingüística o para introducirse en este mundo según sea el caso.Un aspecto a resaltar es la diversidad de lenguas con las que se trabajan en este curso, ya que en muchas cátedras de lingüística solo se enfocan en la lengua madre o en comparaciones de esta con una segunda lengua o lengua extranjera.

By 姜徐宁

May 31, 2017

Extremely pleasant experience gotten in the course, I think it's worth trying for anyone who has the slightest related or direct interest in Linguistics. This reveals some facts of common concerns in my opinion. Reasonable setting of sections as a guiding course.

By Tyson W

Jun 18, 2016

Miracles of Human Language is a wonderful introduction to the field of linguistics. Prof.dr. M. van Oostendorp is an adept and engaging lecturer and his knowledge of his field is vast. His discussions with Marten and Inge were engaging and his interactions with the language informants was, well... informing! I only wish I could contribute a language to his MOOC as well as participate in his research and work at Universiteit Leiden. Thank you, Dr. van Oostendorp, Marten, Inge, Roberta, Khalid, Han, Varun, Enoch, and Beste. It's been quite a ride!

By Ema N

Feb 26, 2018

Wonderfully instructive, engaging, challenging and interesting. Great course!

By Fátima Z R

Oct 12, 2016

Curso muy completo y sobre todo AMENO en el que aprenderás sin darte apenas cuenta.

By Johanna A

Aug 07, 2017

This is an absolutely awesome course.

By Susie

Jan 18, 2017

Excellent course. Was very thorough, entertaining and interesting.

By Mario A L G

Jun 24, 2016

It is a very good Introduction for those of Us that know nothing of Linguistics. I was very happy to take it.

By Lourenco C G

Sep 11, 2017

Good material, excellent presentations, knowledgeable presenters. Fascinating!