Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

DP

Jan 03, 2017

Excellent! Really enjoyed and learnt a lot. I did not expect such a great content and professionalism in a free course. I am definitely purchasing for the title.\n\nThanks to all the team! Great job!

126 - 150 of 428 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Laurie K

Nov 02, 2018

Very interesting course, well-made videos, interesting interviews and reading materials. Would definitely recommend this course to people who want to know more about different aspects of language.

By Abhinav S

Mar 22, 2017

This is one of the best MOOCs I've participated in. The lectures are engaging and the student community is vibrant! If you plan to improve your knowledge about the beauty of Languages - Go for it!

By STYLIANOS F F

Oct 08, 2017

I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in Linguistics and languages, especially beginners. I enjoyed it and learned very much and I feel ready to continue my studies in this field.

By Katie E

Mar 24, 2020

This course was fascinating, and the professor and his students were very personable. You can tell that they love the subject they're teaching, and that makes the material even more palatable.

By Bhaskar P

Sep 22, 2018

Dr. Van Oostendorp and Leiden University have created a course of outstanding quality. It far exceeded my expectations and has provided an excellent introduction to the subject of Linguistics.

By Laurel B

Mar 28, 2017

I found this course to be not only educational but extremely interesting. It provides a great overview of the field of linguistics and does so in an engaging manner. I highly recommend it!

By Brittany O

Aug 23, 2017

I loved this course. The professor does a fabulous job explaining the material and bringing in others to show the material's relevance.

It was very interesting and I want to learn more!

By Maria V G R

Aug 20, 2016

It was very interesting and you get to understand a lot about Linguistics, considering the amount of time it requires. It also makes the most of the platform, so it's really well made.

By Armas M

Jan 13, 2019

My time with this course was awesome...I learned things more than my expectations ....

thanks coursera

especially thanks to " Professor Marc Van Oostendorp",doing a great job ...

By Santiago N

Jun 25, 2018

Wonderfully explained and made with passion, this course introduces us to some basic knowledge of linguistics in the best way possible: by making it fun and completely understandable.

By Blade F

Jun 08, 2016

I would highly recommend this course! The instructor presents the material in a clear and effective manner, the subject is interesting, and the work fits well and is not overwhelming.

By Tanya M

May 15, 2018

love this course - it's really great! Working with native speakers of different languages was difficult but fascinating. Interview with Noam Chomsky totally defeat me. I'm impressed.

By Naomi

Dec 02, 2016

Loved this course! The professor was informative and engaging, and Inge and Martin made the class interesting and fun. I also enjoyed the interviews with other experts in the field.

By Marta R R

Aug 29, 2019

Great course! I have learned a lot about linguistics in a very interactive and dynamic way. I totally recommend it to everyone that is a little bit interested in this discipline.

By Alexander S

Jul 12, 2018

A great introductory course!Of special value for me were the language informants. Through them understanding the diversity of languages was a lot more interesting and practical.

By Курпас Н

Aug 14, 2016

I really liked it ! It was a challenge for me personally ! Getting the questions wrong on quizes really discouraged me but then I would keep going and not give up ! Awesome !!!

By Timothy H

Nov 04, 2018

This is a challenging course, but if you are truly interested in linguistics this is an excellent choice. Certainly the best one available in a MOOC. Thank you for the effort.

By Patricia Z

Dec 19, 2018

It was my first experience with an online course and it was excellent! The materias were very interesting and difficult but not impossible. I'm very grateful for everything!

By antonio b

Aug 25, 2019

A very beautiful seminar. It should be a little bit more longer and have some reference to a leading book in order to deepen some of the topic. Is there a follow up course?

By Nikki S

Oct 10, 2016

I very much enjoyed this course. All of the videos were informative as well as engaging. The material was compelling and I think I may like to learn more in the future!

By Sandra E C E

Apr 17, 2020

The course was as exciting as challenging. The lectures are short but full of information. The interviews were really interesting. I loved it. I totally recommend it.

By Katarina M

Nov 30, 2018

Brilliant course! Content was engaging and varied, lectures were interesting, assigments were just the right level of difficulty Many thanks to everyone involved! :)

By Kevin T

Jul 03, 2018

Thanks Prof. Marc van Oostendorp, whose introduction of human language is really intriguing and insightful. Looking forward the more advanced courses from him.