Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

Mar 22, 2019

I've taken a number of online courses on linguistics now, and this one was by and far the best. The material covered is indepth and engaging, and the professor's enthusiam makes the videos a delight.

151 - 175 of 431 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Sarah E

Apr 28, 2020

Absolutely loved this course. It give me a great insight into linguistics and showed me that this would be something I might be interested in taking further.

By Nikita P

Sep 24, 2017

Very good course for those who have not studied linguistics before. The professor gives a good overview of it and excites you with his passion to the topic.

By Elizabeth H B

May 01, 2020

This was a great experience!! The content is amazing: all the videos and readings are super easy to understand and learnd from. I trully enjoy this course.

By Valeriya T

Apr 12, 2020

Great review course. This will help to understand what linguistics is doing as a science. It will also help to understand the main subjects of linguistics.

By Stefan Y G

Sep 15, 2017

This is a wonderful course for entry level linguistics knowledge. Whatever your background is, it will fit you and give you great insight into linguistics.

By Michael C

Jul 21, 2017

The course presents very interesting subject matter, and the professor and his assistants do this in a very enthusiastic, energetic and interesting manner.

By Larine F A

Jun 20, 2017

Taking this course made me realize how amazing the study of Linguistics is. I really enjoyed watching the classes and interacting with my peers and tutors.

By Hope A

Jun 11, 2020

I really enjoyed this MOOC as it was interactive and really improved my knowledge of linguistics. It was difficult at times, but well worth it at the end!

By Yerang K

Jul 09, 2016

Very motivating lecturer and really satisfying contents!

I am so satisfied with the courese metarial including the module itself and the reading matarials

By Viktorija B

Mar 23, 2020

This is a wonderfully structured, informative, and entertaining course, excellent both for beginners and for people who have already dabbled in language.

By Ángel M

Oct 03, 2019

A great and complete introduction to the exciting world of linguistics, with emphasis on language diversity and endangered languages. Highly recommended.

By Silvia T

Jun 04, 2020

I loved the contents and the way such complex topics were explained. I am linguist and this mooc gave me a wider view on how to write my phd proposal.

By Fran R H

Nov 14, 2016

Me encantó el curso. Recordé muchas cosas y aprendí otras tantas. La interfaz fue muy amigable y los expositores muy agradables. Lo recomiendo al 100%

By Jacqueline A Á V

Nov 16, 2019

Me gusto mucho el curso, me ayuda a seguir revitalizando el idioma Kunza de mi pueblo indígena Lickanantay, agradezco los conocimientos entregados.

By Kate

Sep 07, 2018

This course is so fun and informative, and I was actually sad when it ended. Oostendorp is a fantastic professor and I highly recommend his course.

By Malkat H

Nov 29, 2017

The course is very interesting and well presented. Professor is very helpful and not boring at all. I look forward to any next course by Leiden Uni

By Myriam N

Jun 14, 2020

This course was very interesting and talked about many topics related to Linguistics. It's perfect for people that don't know anything about it !

By Jorge F

Jul 14, 2019

I totally recommend this course. It was academically rigorous and fun at the same time. Thank you for the opportunity of being part of this mooc.

By Pablo

Jul 26, 2016

I very much liked the professor, he has a contagious energy and is entertaining to hear and watch. Overall an excellent course, learned a lot

By Wee K N

Jan 29, 2020

The videos are clear and informative. The recommended reading materials are interesting and relevant. The informants' video are interesting.

By Hanna P

Aug 08, 2016

without any doubt the best course among those I have studied or tried out on and beyond coursera. a huge thanks to the whole team behind it!

By Fernanda M P

Jan 27, 2018

The course was excellent. I could review some of the main concepts of Linguistic through very well designed lessons and fruitful material.

By Kasmin F

Mar 04, 2017

Immensely enlightening. I'd recommend this course to anyone who loves languages and wants to explore the fascinating world of linguistics

By Hernán S

Nov 01, 2016

This course was excellent! because this made me an overview of linguistic science, their internal fields, and their main topics of study.