Back to Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics by Universiteit Leiden

Everywhere, every day, everybody uses language. There is no human society, no matter how small or how isolated, which does not employ a language that is rich and diverse. This course introduces you to linguistics, featuring interviews with well-known linguists and with speakers of many different languages. Join us to explore the miracles of human language! The Miracles of Human Language introduces you to the many-faceted study of languages, which has amazed humans since the beginning of history. Together with speakers of many other languages around the world, as well as with famous linguists such as Noam Chomsky and Adele Goldberg, you will learn to understand and analyse how your native tongue is at the same time similar and different from many other languages. You will learn the basic concepts of linguistics, get to know some of the key features of big and small languages and get insight into what linguists do. This course gives an introduction into the study of languages, the field of linguistics. With the support of the basic linguistic terminology that is offered in the course, you will soon be able to comment both on variety between languages, as well as on a single language’s internal structure. Anyone who wishes to understand how languages work, and how they can give us insight into the human mind is very welcome to join. The course is useful if you want to get a fairly quick introduction into linguistics, for instance because you are considering studying it further, or because you are interested in a neighbouring discipline such as psychology, computer science or anthropology. Furthermore, the course will help you develop analytical skills. If you are curious to understand how language works and how it gives insight into the human mind, this course is definitely for you!...

DC

Sep 24, 2017

Extremely informational, well presented, with questions that stimulate reflection. The optional reading material is food for thought. I hope to see more courses from the same professor and University.

DP

Jan 03, 2017

Excellent! Really enjoyed and learnt a lot. I did not expect such a great content and professionalism in a free course. I am definitely purchasing for the title.\n\nThanks to all the team! Great job!

201 - 225 of 320 Reviews for Miracles of Human Language: An Introduction to Linguistics

By Matheus A

Aug 15, 2017

Awesome course!

By Ekaterina A

Sep 21, 2017

I have enjoyed a lot this course! Love the material, readings and language informants!

By Pallavi K

Jul 08, 2017

Brilliant Course! I wish it had an advanced level or Masters level, I would really want to join!

By Laurel B

Mar 28, 2017

I found this course to be not only educational but extremely interesting. It provides a great overview of the field of linguistics and does so in an engaging manner. I highly recommend it!

By 周少英

Sep 26, 2017

It is an interesting and educative course. Every week we are delving into the different elements of language, such as sounds, words and so on. I really like the way the course organised, including interviews, videoes of different languages, etc. I am so excited to see Chomsky in the interview, which is quite instructive . Overall, it is good course and it is worthy of studying.

By Niloufar S

Sep 15, 2017

I recommend this MOOC to all fans of linguistics, learning languages, and people who are interested in deeper understanding of what is indeed "a Language"! Special thanks to prof. dr. Oostendorp for his clear and kind way of transferring his vast knowledge.

By Cecilia C L R

Nov 13, 2017

A wonderful course for those of us who love language and question ourselves about its acquisition, the disciplines that study it and the many factors that can modify it. Professor Marc van Oostendorp explains everything in a clear and simple way and makes one get involved in the course and wants to deepen the study of Linguistics.

By Isabel F

Nov 21, 2017

This was my first course on Coursera and I really enjoyed it very much. I had studies linguistics in the past and wanted to revisit the subject. In my opinion this course is a great introduction to the many varied fields linguistics has to offer. The numerous discussion prompts and quizzes made me think a bit, which I enjoyed. I would definitely recommend the course as a refresher or introductory overview.

By Lukasz D

Jan 22, 2018

It was a pure pleasure to study linguistics in Leiden University. I recommend the course to all and sundry.

By Jiayang T

Feb 02, 2018

The syllabus for courses are clear so it's really easy to understand and remember.

By Eve M

Mar 02, 2018

This course is challenging, which is good. I was familiar with some of the material as my educational background is in psychology, but I learned a lot here and want to consolidate what I've learned. I didn't have time to do the peer graded assignments, but I might even retake the course to do so. The video lectures are great.

By 林诺舟

Jun 29, 2017

适合入门 条理清晰 视野开阔

By Érica C

May 14, 2018

I'm so happy I decided to enroll in this course. This was my very first introduction to Linguistics and it left me wanting to know more. Thank you to everyone who worked hard to make this course available for us.

By Mariia L

May 17, 2018

Really enjoyed this course!

By Adam F

Jun 15, 2018

I though that the lay out of the course was engaging and interesting. Though, it wasn't easy at the same time and really challenged me to think in a completely different manner to the way that I usually do. Thank you very much for the assistance I needed to find something I want to pursue.

By Kaia L

Jun 05, 2018

This was a fantastic intro to linguistics. The interviews particularly were exceptional.

By Danai I V

Aug 02, 2018

Amazing course!!!

By Manuel L

Aug 20, 2018

Excellent introduction on the several fields of linguistics.

By Ryan T M

Oct 15, 2018

Very interestding course. Covers just enough to make it achievable, but also opens the door to a lot in terms of linguistic study. Definitely recommended to anybody who is interested in language and culture.

By Wallace N O

Sep 05, 2018

One of the best courses I've ever taken. Thank you!

By Erik J

Apr 19, 2019

A very good course; but maybe I'm prejudiced because Leiden is my favourite University.:)

Een zeer goede cursus; maar misschien ben ik bevooroordeeld omdat Leiden mijn favoriete universiteit is. :)

By Xinyao Z

Apr 22, 2019

it's really helpful even for those who already have some basic knowledge of Linguistics! :D

By Heber H B M

May 26, 2019

¡Buenas tardes! Tomé el curso a manera de repaso de temas que tuve en la universidad en la materia de lingüística y terminó sorprendiéndome con temas que no había tratado antes. Me parece un curso excelente que te ofrece una visión general de las distintas ramas de la lingüística, con videos, ejemplos y ejercicios de reflexión y lectura.

By María d J L C V

May 16, 2019

This a real professional course, including at the academic level. It demands a lot of readings but the Instructor's explanations are really clear and easy to understand. There's a lot of linguistic analysis and hands on real practice that you cannot find in other courses.

By Dena

Jun 18, 2019

Loved it. The course helped me understand what the science of languages is about a bit deeper. Which helped me a lot to gain more knowledge at my University. Thank you for the most interesting representation of such a difficult material. (I loved the moment when at a seminar one of your students, who was to ask you a question, fell out of reality a bit. It made me laugh and smile!)