Back to Public Health in Humanitarian Crises 1

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Health in Humanitarian Crises 1 by Johns Hopkins University

This course, Public Health in Humanitarian Crises 1, introduces discussions about the public health approach to problems experienced by people affected by disasters, both natural and related to conflict. The course discusses the many changes which occur in people’s lives when they are uprooted by a disaster, ranging from changes in disease patterns, access to health care, livelihoods, shelter, sanitary conditions, nutritional status, etceteras. We will explore what humanitarian interventions could look like if we want to mitigate the effects of disasters. The course content is a mix of theoretical knowledge and many practical examples from recent disasters. We think this course is unique because it contains so many practical ‘real-life’ examples and is taught by instructors and guest lecturers who together have over 200 years of experience in this field. The course consists of 10 modules totaling approximately 9-10 hours of delivered content with an additional 2-3 hours of self-work (quizzes and writing and evaluating a short peer-review assignment) as well as lively discussions forums. The course has been designed in a way that each module builds on the lessons of previous modules. However, you may do the modules in any order and some can be done separately. You do not have to pay for this course if you choose to enroll without a certificate. Sometimes referred to as auditing, enrolling without a certificate means that you will have access to all of the videos, quizzes, assignments, and discussions. The only difference is that you will not receive a certificate upon completion. Click the Enroll Without a Certificate link to sign up and begin the course. Even if you enroll in a session that has yet to begin, you may access most of the course materials right away by clicking the Preview Course Materials link. However, you will have to wait for the session to begin before posting your comments on the discussion forum or accessing the final peer-reviewed assessment. Visit the Learner Help Center for details about session schedules. If you want to learn more, there is a second course which follows this one entitled, Public Health in Humanitarian Crises 2. We welcome you to take this. The course has a similar set-up and discusses additional topics, such as infectious disease outbreaks, disease epidemiology, maternal and newborn health, mental health, humanitarian project design, humanitarian principles, and many other topics....

AM

Feb 06, 2020

It was a totally new domain for me to learn, Very informative and very very well articulated. Even a person like me who knew almost nothing about it, is now interested in working in it. Thanks a lot.

AO

Apr 28, 2020

I have earned very good and valuable knowledge that refresh and improved my career level one step forward,\n\nthank you very much for every single one how worked hard to produce this great course.

26 - 50 of 110 Reviews for Public Health in Humanitarian Crises 1

By Amit K M

Feb 06, 2020

By Abdulkarem o

Apr 28, 2020

By Yim S T C

May 02, 2020

Absolutely brilliant course, very well thought-out lesson plans and a great deal of effort put into the recorded lectures. It has definitely solidified my interest in global health!

By Luziane D S G

Apr 15, 2020

I learned patience, discipline, willpower, focus on, determination.

I will continue and trying even more grateful will help me a lot for the opportunity of heart.

thanks

By VIVEK K

Apr 05, 2019

Thank you for wonderful course on public health aspects in times of humanitarian crisis. It helped me to think outside the box and read more to understand the issues.

By Kyle M

Mar 10, 2018

I think this is the perfect springboard for entry level humanitarian professionals who considering a career in humanitarian aid, and global and public health

By Rodrigo M C d S V

Jul 13, 2020

Excellent course! Extraordinary content! It just needed to be a little more dynamic the classes, but it doesn't take the brilliants out of the course!

Aug 23, 2018

I have enjoyed the course bery much. The methodology is clear, interactive. I have learned a lot of new information, usefull for my job! Super!

By Joanna K

Jan 10, 2018

Good basic overview of Public Health in Humanitarian Crises- giving a comprehensive overview. I found it a useful and interesting course.

By Neeraj B

Apr 02, 2018

An excellent introduction to the issues and challenges relating to Public Health in Humanitarian Crises. Taught in a systematic manner.

By annet g

Jun 03, 2020

Excellent overview of all public health factors in humanitarian crises, great basis for further study. Teachers were very engaging.

By Sarah T U

Nov 19, 2019

it is a great course to prepare you to be in contact with humanitarian crisis!. I'm definetly taking the second module as well.

By Alaa a

Apr 03, 2020

great course ! i wished if there was a way to ask questions or if there was some more examples of humanitarian interventions .

By Paula H F

Excellent thematic content, excellent teachers. I learned a lot from this course. It is a good starting tool in public health

By Hunduma K

Aug 12, 2019

i am very happy to take this course as it helped me to know more about public health problems in humanitarian crises.

By Mohammed M H H

Jul 12, 2020

it is really amazing , I got a lot of information and skills . and I am welling to go crises 2

thank you very much .

By Mary D

Jun 10, 2020

This is a difficult class but it's incredibly informative and provides so much room to understand the topic fully.

By Aijaz P

May 14, 2019

EXCELLENT COURSE. Well organized. Knowledge delivered in understandable manner. Lot new dimensions were discovered

By Michael N M

Sep 07, 2020

excellent course with dedicated lecturer with insightful and well articulated thoughts throughout the content.

By Ayobami O

May 26, 2019

Highly educative and quite engaging course. I am satisfied with what I learnt on health in disaster settings.

By Chioma M O

May 17, 2018

Informative, insightful and useful for those involved in public health assistance in fragile environments.

By Ichegbo, N K

Mar 24, 2020

This course was so much fun, the teachers kept me engaged in all the videos. Very interesting I must say

By Zachary A

Sep 08, 2020

A well put together course! Everything had a nice flow. Excellent for anyone interested in this field.

By ALI A A

Mar 15, 2019

Very useful and informative course, with highly experienced trainers and interesting educational style

By Woody M C

Apr 02, 2018

An excellent course to help one to understand and address public health issues in humanitarian crises.