Back to Introduction to Imagemaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Imagemaking by California Institute of the Arts

This course for serious makers, and for students new to imagemaking. Imagemaking is a fluid and exciting area of graphic design that comes out of practice and process: experimenting fearlessly, showing and sharing ideas, and giving and receiving knowledgeable and constructive input. For the sake of this online platform, we have applied some structure to our investigations, but for the most part imagemaking is loose and unstructured. If we must adopt a rule in this course it is only this: you will not become a graphic designer by watching videos alone. Or, don't just make stuff just in your head. So here, the focus here is on making, and you are expected to devote serious time and intellectual energy to that activity in this course. Specifically, you will: - experiment with a range of materials and techniques to make images for graphic design - expand your visual vocabulary both in terms of making and talking about work, in order to discuss your work and work of others - learn how to make, manipulate and arrange images to create compositions, eventually culminating in the design and production of an-image-based book. The first half of the course is an opportunity to experiment and explore imagemaking in order to expand your visual vocabulary. You will create pieces that are expressive, meditative, or 'design-y' to instigate, evoke, experiment, record, explain, or try out a media. In the second two weeks, we’ll invite the images to deliberately and intentionally carry meaning and communication through relational moves like juxtaposition, composition, and context. We’ll look at developing and expanding the range of approaches for putting things together by composing page spreads with your images. Since nothing exists without context, we look at how to intentionally drive the image’s connotations, meanings, and associations generated through elements of composition and “visual contrasts.” Ultimately, we will take the images that you create and make a book from them. The results of your assignments (and experiments) may generate something completely unknowable now or in the future—and that's the goal....

LC
Oct 8, 2017

I'm so happy i did this course. Gail, you're amazing and you made my imagination go wild with just your words. I can see you love your craft and that's very inspiring. Enjoyed this course all the way!

ID
May 21, 2019

Very useful course. Really puts you to practice. I learned a lot and feel encouraged to continue. Reviewing other peer's work was inspiring and gave me fresh ideas about what I could have done better.

76 - 100 of 520 Reviews for Introduction to Imagemaking

By MOHAMMED T A

Sep 29, 2020

Amazing course!! The lessons are informative and once again they encourage you to learn by by doing it in form of assignments and of many things that I learnt I also learnt how to tell a story without words and create art that stands out from everything else!! 100% recommend this and the entire specialization!

By Zubair M

Feb 15, 2021

In the start, the course seemed too open ended and wide to provide a sense of direction and understanding of how to approach it. However, this course put me out of my comfort zone and forced experimentation and creation of meaningful compositions using simple ideas.

By Julius M

Nov 1, 2020

One of the most tedious course I encountered in this specialization, but the experience and knowledge that you will get from this course will really change the way that you look at images and their relationships with one another through visual hierarchy.

By Aishwarya.R

Apr 7, 2021

I was so excited to do this course and especially the assignments were so interesting and loved it and each process I went through was so nice and I liked it very much. so after this course, I'm going to make more narrative books

By Ahmed M A

Apr 13, 2018

Very interesting course, it helped me to learn thinking visually, there is many concepts we should know it in designs.

Assignments very interesting you can do it with your hands or by computer it help you to get more experience.

By Logan M

Jul 6, 2020

The professors were very professional and the course was very well detailed and executed perfectly.

I am a huge advocate for Coursera and recommend this course and programs to anyone looking to add to their resume and knowledge.

By Trang P

May 17, 2016

I really enjoyed the assignments! Her videos were different from the other two courses in the Specialization, and I enjoyed that! I loved that I could see her process so that I could attempt on my own. Highly recommended class!

By Suzanne A V

Nov 8, 2020

This course has given me an appreciation and depth of understanding for the varied ways of image making. I found this course to be the most challenging for me, but the lecturers made the topic easy to understand and digest.

By Giovanni F

Mar 7, 2017

Exellent lectures and assignments. You will learn about how to compose page spreads for illustrated books by composing two or more images, experimenting with shapes, colors, sizes, negative space, foreground vs background.

By Bonnie K

Feb 4, 2018

I learned a lot in this course. The teacher is fantastic and I just really enjoyed doing all of the assignments. I looked forward to it after work and am very happy both professionally and personally with the experience.

By Pratima P

Apr 19, 2021

Course contents are good for learning image making ,real efforts required to complete the course ,well structured course ,thank you for all the Mentors and guides for the course and peers too for grading . Thank you all

By Abhilash V

Dec 24, 2016

Image making is the focus of this course.If you love making images you will love this.Not much theory but all the more making.Assignments needs a bit more time and thought than the other courses in the specialization.

By Lujaïn D

May 27, 2016

I loved LOVED this course and really enjoyed it. though I didn't see the last feedback from other students on my final project (Bookishness) and it is locked now... However, It is an amazing course and very useful!

By resta a

Feb 22, 2021

I got a lot of skills from this course, assessing works of art observing every little thing from a work of art, learning the composition of space, scale, figure / ground to practicing it into a digital book

By Georgina P

Nov 28, 2016

Graphic degsing is about relation between images and the spece where they are. I think this course is a grate conector which explains the main conexions and relationships of the components of an image.

By David E B P

Feb 17, 2017

Useful and playful. I like the idea of having from the computer the inspiration to take paper and draw, and create things :)I would add some extra links or inspirational videos to enrich the experience

By Shirlena R

Jul 8, 2016

I am running out of words to describe how much I loved taking this class and those in conjunction with it. I'll be a little sad when it's over and I'm taking the last course. There is a true connection

By Estrella C S

Jun 24, 2017

Me ha encantado hacer este curso. Ayuda mucho a comprender mejor la utilización y la composición de imágenes. Me ha sido muy practico y de un gran valor para mis propias creaciones . Muchas gracias.

By Hanna L

May 22, 2019

The instructor had such a soothing voice and explained everything very well! The videos were very helpful in showcasing the concepts and providing examples, plus the assignments were super fun!

By F A

Sep 26, 2018

I recommend this course to all future designers, art lovers and also for more experienced people to step a bit outside the box and have the freedom to take mistakes and take new perspectives.

By Natalia M

Feb 24, 2017

Really enjoyed this course and it pushed me to think about the application of the design. In this case, I learned a lot about composing spreads for books which was something very new to me.

By Tristan S

Feb 28, 2018

This course is more self-driven than others I have done on Coursera, but if you are open to exploring different techniques for yourself it is a great course providing a creative stimulus.

By Ana F

Oct 9, 2016

I really loved this course. Useful information presented in an attractive format. Hands on approach. It opened my mind regarding a lot of possible applications in different areas of life.

By Huzaifa E A A

Jan 15, 2020

harder than other courses of the specialization which makes it more important and valuable, I didn't know about designing images but now i'm confident I can make cool designs with images

By Alexandra M

Jan 25, 2021

Unexpectedly difficult, full of discoveries, and surprisingly useful course. Many thanks @Gail Swanlund - I wish I could take a 'live' book- and image-making course with her. Thanks!