Back to Introduction to Imagemaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Imagemaking by California Institute of the Arts

This course for serious makers, and for students new to imagemaking. Imagemaking is a fluid and exciting area of graphic design that comes out of practice and process: experimenting fearlessly, showing and sharing ideas, and giving and receiving knowledgeable and constructive input. For the sake of this online platform, we have applied some structure to our investigations, but for the most part imagemaking is loose and unstructured. If we must adopt a rule in this course it is only this: you will not become a graphic designer by watching videos alone. Or, don't just make stuff just in your head. So here, the focus here is on making, and you are expected to devote serious time and intellectual energy to that activity in this course. Specifically, you will: - experiment with a range of materials and techniques to make images for graphic design - expand your visual vocabulary both in terms of making and talking about work, in order to discuss your work and work of others - learn how to make, manipulate and arrange images to create compositions, eventually culminating in the design and production of an-image-based book. The first half of the course is an opportunity to experiment and explore imagemaking in order to expand your visual vocabulary. You will create pieces that are expressive, meditative, or 'design-y' to instigate, evoke, experiment, record, explain, or try out a media. In the second two weeks, we’ll invite the images to deliberately and intentionally carry meaning and communication through relational moves like juxtaposition, composition, and context. We’ll look at developing and expanding the range of approaches for putting things together by composing page spreads with your images. Since nothing exists without context, we look at how to intentionally drive the image’s connotations, meanings, and associations generated through elements of composition and “visual contrasts.” Ultimately, we will take the images that you create and make a book from them. The results of your assignments (and experiments) may generate something completely unknowable now or in the future—and that's the goal....

ID
May 21, 2019

Very useful course. Really puts you to practice. I learned a lot and feel encouraged to continue. Reviewing other peer's work was inspiring and gave me fresh ideas about what I could have done better.

LC
Oct 8, 2017

I'm so happy i did this course. Gail, you're amazing and you made my imagination go wild with just your words. I can see you love your craft and that's very inspiring. Enjoyed this course all the way!

101 - 125 of 453 Reviews for Introduction to Imagemaking

By SOUQUET A

Apr 15, 2020

This course is amazing because you learn how to compose and adjusted your art with many techniques. The teacher explain very well the course and what we can do.

By Ronald K

Oct 9, 2017

Very interesting assignments and a more hands-on approach than the first 2 courses in this Graphic Design specialization. Really enjoy it and I recommend it! =D

By Alexandra S

I loved this course. So far is my favourite of the Graphic Design Specialization. Even if it is an online course it really is a hands on course, since day 1!!!

By Amanda V

May 4, 2020

I learned a lot and the instructions were clear. It is getting harder, but that is to be expected of any course. Thanks for making this fun and educational.

By Sakshi J

Jul 2, 2018

I really enjoyed working in this course. It is action oriented and demanding. The instructions were precise and clear, and the results led to new learnings.

By Ar. S D

Aug 14, 2020

a great course for exploring the image making process. Thank you so much for this beautiful course adn all the information and reading materials provided.

By Nene W

Feb 5, 2017

thought provoking course and the practical aspects were especially enjoyable. like looking at a subject in fresh new ways, then you would love this course

By Rui

Mar 8, 2019

I really appreciate the listed styles and artist in week 2. It really helps for people who likes modern art but do not know that many excellent artists.

By Aba N

May 22, 2017

Gail Swanlund has done a great job of pacing the course and progressively teaching this image-making course with lots of great examples and resources.

By Magdalena P

Jun 14, 2019

This course is really hands on and allows you to practice as you learn regarding composition, imagemaking and the different techniques involved.

By Diana A

May 20, 2018

This course is amazing, I really enjoyed all the content. If you wanna expand your creativity about making images, you should take this course.

By Sharon S

Jun 14, 2017

i loved it - it gave me the opportunity to freely explore perspectives and investigating the world in order to do my works. I had a great time.

By Francois B

Jun 26, 2020

It was the course in the graphic design that I thought I'd be least interested in and ended up being the one I enjoyed the most. Thank you :)

By Guthrie A

May 9, 2019

Great exercises and the final project was very fun! I learned a lot about myself and ways to discover things I don't know. Highly recommend.

By Henintsoa T A

Sep 13, 2016

I loved it, it pushes me to get out of my confort zone. the course helped me a lot especially in discovering new technique for image making.

By Kassy S

May 27, 2016

From the lectures, we've got the techniques of making various types of images and also the basic points of making images and compose images.

By Viktoriya F

Jun 2, 2020

Excellent course. I never thought that I am able to design my own book from scratch. Thanks a lot for a new knowledge and believe in me!:)

By Celeste S

Aug 7, 2019

A really cool course. I loved the way how every topic was develope and the way this made me watch the things in a different perspective.

By David A V D S

Apr 28, 2018

Has been hard comprehend all the process that is need to express a message, but have help me a lot this part of the course. Very well!

By Claudia M L T C

Sep 19, 2020

A great way to learn about composition, variety of styles and waaay more, all in a chill virtual classroom. Nice, just what I needed!

By Adriana C N T

Mar 21, 2019

I really liked this course, for its content and practice exercises. Awaken creativity and the results of my work, I surprised myself!

By Ellie R

Sep 29, 2018

Great course that pushes you to explore the breadth of possibilities in creating images aside from the traditional and realistic way.

By Hasan I M

Dec 26, 2019

I think some video music need to lower a bit. Cause, can't hear the teacher's voice clearly. Besides this the course is helpful.

By SYED Q

Jul 18, 2017

I really like that course and I will try my best to do more. Its really Important for every Graphic Designer and becoming artist.

By Stephania A Q

Oct 22, 2020

a very good course. very complete, I really learned a lot, although I would like it to be longer and with a more advanced level