Back to Introduction to Imagemaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Imagemaking by California Institute of the Arts

This course for serious makers, and for students new to imagemaking. Imagemaking is a fluid and exciting area of graphic design that comes out of practice and process: experimenting fearlessly, showing and sharing ideas, and giving and receiving knowledgeable and constructive input. For the sake of this online platform, we have applied some structure to our investigations, but for the most part imagemaking is loose and unstructured. If we must adopt a rule in this course it is only this: you will not become a graphic designer by watching videos alone. Or, don't just make stuff just in your head. So here, the focus here is on making, and you are expected to devote serious time and intellectual energy to that activity in this course. Specifically, you will: - experiment with a range of materials and techniques to make images for graphic design - expand your visual vocabulary both in terms of making and talking about work, in order to discuss your work and work of others - learn how to make, manipulate and arrange images to create compositions, eventually culminating in the design and production of an-image-based book. The first half of the course is an opportunity to experiment and explore imagemaking in order to expand your visual vocabulary. You will create pieces that are expressive, meditative, or 'design-y' to instigate, evoke, experiment, record, explain, or try out a media. In the second two weeks, we’ll invite the images to deliberately and intentionally carry meaning and communication through relational moves like juxtaposition, composition, and context. We’ll look at developing and expanding the range of approaches for putting things together by composing page spreads with your images. Since nothing exists without context, we look at how to intentionally drive the image’s connotations, meanings, and associations generated through elements of composition and “visual contrasts.” Ultimately, we will take the images that you create and make a book from them. The results of your assignments (and experiments) may generate something completely unknowable now or in the future—and that's the goal....

ID
May 21, 2019

Very useful course. Really puts you to practice. I learned a lot and feel encouraged to continue. Reviewing other peer's work was inspiring and gave me fresh ideas about what I could have done better.

LC
Oct 8, 2017

I'm so happy i did this course. Gail, you're amazing and you made my imagination go wild with just your words. I can see you love your craft and that's very inspiring. Enjoyed this course all the way!

126 - 150 of 451 Reviews for Introduction to Imagemaking

By Oluwaseun O O

Oct 23, 2016

i was never comfortable with image making, but this course had given me a lot of confidence and i made a drawing i was proud of

By Oksana P

Jan 29, 2017

Thank you very much for this great course. I have learned a lot and definitely gained new skills that will help me in my work.

By Salem F A

Apr 14, 2019

Thank you coursera and thanks for the teacher for the great information

I learn a lot in the previews courses thank you again

By Kritika D

Apr 24, 2019

Love this course especially the detailed section where we look at reference books. Gives so much clarity to the students..

By Ayesha B

May 29, 2017

It was innovative. It was lighthearted. And it was more 'project-based, so one gets to see what they have done in the end.

By Stanislav

Jan 30, 2017

It was great to come through this course with its

marvellous lections and interesting submissions. Strongly recommend it.

By Joana W

Sep 27, 2020

I really loved this course! It's was super interactive and fun. It gave a boost to my creativity. Totally recommended.

By mandy B e

Sep 4, 2020

I LIKE THIS CLASS, I LEARN A LOT. of this 5 star class about art and designs things THANK YOU MANDY EVANS .

By Artak A

Jun 20, 2019

Greate! Makes the brain constantly stir also brings a variety of techniques in the everyday life of a novice artist

By Soh W K

Oct 25, 2018

Insightful ways of getting your Image Right for your Artwork!

The teacher even teaches you how to make a Image Book!

By Ana P B

May 26, 2016

Very inspiring! The ideas and process I've learned with this course will certainly help me in my future projects.

By Dung N

Dec 26, 2019

Highly recommend for anyone who loves to get their hands into creating something out of nothing creatively :D!!!

By Tudor C G

Mar 25, 2019

Great course! I learned a lot of new imagemaking techniques as well as composition rules. I highly recommend it!

By CHIU K W

Jul 18, 2020

Creating our own book with our own topic is really fun. This course has raised my interest on graphic design.

By Isidora I

Jun 23, 2020

la profesora habla muy rapido y me costo un poco entenderlo, pero su enseñanza me sirvieron muchisimo gracias

By Adler A

Jun 28, 2019

That was a useful and practical course, like the rest in CalArts in the specialization in the Graphic Design.

By hangying w

Oct 26, 2016

This video lectures are very clear and well made. I learned the concepts of designs and new ways of thinking.

By Salem F A

Sep 22, 2019

very good course for beginners to learn how to make-images and learn about image components and composition.

By Maged E S

Oct 3, 2018

Very Beautiful course that you so much for your efforts! I really appreciate everything! God bless you all.

By Sandeep M

Jun 11, 2019

So thankful to learn from such renowned and talented teachers. Thanks for the course, thank you Coursera!.

By Juachi O

Sep 22, 2017

Great course to help learn about images in composition and critical looks at planning and creating images.

By Kevin J

Aug 26, 2017

Loved the course, really enjoyed the Image making and learning about image interpretations and expressions

By Yudi Y S

Jun 2, 2020

I gained a lot of experience in this course! I make my first book by this course, This course is great!

By Muhammad A Y

Jan 31, 2018

i really thankful to coursera to give me this opportunity learn about specialization in graphics design

By Egle H

Dec 13, 2019

Learned a lot and discovered some things about myself that O didn't know. Thank you for this course.