Back to Introduction to Imagemaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Imagemaking by California Institute of the Arts

This course for serious makers, and for students new to imagemaking. Imagemaking is a fluid and exciting area of graphic design that comes out of practice and process: experimenting fearlessly, showing and sharing ideas, and giving and receiving knowledgeable and constructive input. For the sake of this online platform, we have applied some structure to our investigations, but for the most part imagemaking is loose and unstructured. If we must adopt a rule in this course it is only this: you will not become a graphic designer by watching videos alone. Or, don't just make stuff just in your head. So here, the focus here is on making, and you are expected to devote serious time and intellectual energy to that activity in this course. Specifically, you will: - experiment with a range of materials and techniques to make images for graphic design - expand your visual vocabulary both in terms of making and talking about work, in order to discuss your work and work of others - learn how to make, manipulate and arrange images to create compositions, eventually culminating in the design and production of an-image-based book. The first half of the course is an opportunity to experiment and explore imagemaking in order to expand your visual vocabulary. You will create pieces that are expressive, meditative, or 'design-y' to instigate, evoke, experiment, record, explain, or try out a media. In the second two weeks, we’ll invite the images to deliberately and intentionally carry meaning and communication through relational moves like juxtaposition, composition, and context. We’ll look at developing and expanding the range of approaches for putting things together by composing page spreads with your images. Since nothing exists without context, we look at how to intentionally drive the image’s connotations, meanings, and associations generated through elements of composition and “visual contrasts.” Ultimately, we will take the images that you create and make a book from them. The results of your assignments (and experiments) may generate something completely unknowable now or in the future—and that's the goal....

LC
Oct 8, 2017

I'm so happy i did this course. Gail, you're amazing and you made my imagination go wild with just your words. I can see you love your craft and that's very inspiring. Enjoyed this course all the way!

ID
May 21, 2019

Very useful course. Really puts you to practice. I learned a lot and feel encouraged to continue. Reviewing other peer's work was inspiring and gave me fresh ideas about what I could have done better.

226 - 250 of 504 Reviews for Introduction to Imagemaking

By Justina S

Jan 31, 2018

Interesting course, i loved the challenges it gave me.

By WiseJoel U

Sep 8, 2016

This course is superb! Thank you for offering it here.

By Aalaa W A

May 2, 2021

i like this course cause it make my imagination widly

By Miguel A P B

Aug 2, 2020

It is a very useful and inspiring course. Recommended

By chelsea r

Jul 16, 2019

Probably the most I learnt about Image-making so far.

By Carlos J G C

Sep 27, 2016

Excellent, It was a really good course. I recomend it

By Dee M

Sep 14, 2016

Really, really enjoyed this course - very insightful

By JONATAN J J

Apr 30, 2021

A very practical course it served me a lot, thanks

By Samridhi

Jul 5, 2020

this was a very interactive and challenging course

By Arslan S

Aug 27, 2018

the best course for understanding and learning art

By Olena T

Jun 29, 2017

Very helpful course, specially for the newbies :)

By Ahmed H K

Aug 29, 2020

Had a awesome time in completing the assignment.

By Karla B

Dec 24, 2020

I learned a lot. It is funny, dynamic and deep

By 08_K.Harika

Feb 1, 2021

great insight on introduction to image making

By Чулков Е

Aug 20, 2020

Отличный курс, интересные и полезные задания.

By Zaeem R

Jul 23, 2020

It is a really enjoyable and learning course.

By Joseph g

Feb 14, 2021

This class teached me new ways to make art.

By Namrata U

Jul 12, 2020

loved the way it was taught!! Amazinggggg!

By Stefanie v d B

Aug 24, 2017

making a book is intresting in good steps

By Hayden P

Jun 1, 2017

Fantastic Ideas and practical application

By Devni s

Jul 15, 2020

nice cause to learn if you like painting

By EDELVIRA S

Dec 26, 2019

I enjoy to do the book. Excellent course

By Evelina V

Jul 3, 2017

it makes me loving images and photoshop!

By Jonathan Y

Jun 30, 2018

Like the pragmatism of creating a book.

By Carlos L

Jul 9, 2017

very practical and interesting course!