Back to Industrial Biotechnology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Industrial Biotechnology by University of Manchester

Fossil fuels have been the primary energy source for society since the Industrial Revolution. They provide the raw material for the manufacture of many everyday products that we take for granted, including pharmaceuticals, food and drink, materials, plastics and personal care. As the 21st century progresses we need solutions for the manufacture of chemicals that are smarter, more predictable and more sustainable. Industrial biotechnology is changing how we manufacture chemicals and materials, as well as providing us with a source of renewable energy. It is at the core of sustainable manufacturing processes and an attractive alternative to traditional manufacturing technologies to commercially advance and transform priority industrial sectors yielding more and more viable solutions for our environment in the form of new chemicals, new materials and bioenergy. This course will cover the key enabling technologies that underpin biotechnology research including enzyme discovery and engineering, systems and synthetic biology and biochemical and process engineering. Much of this material will be delivered through lectures to ensure that you have a solid foundation in these key areas. We will also consider the wider issues involved in sustainable manufacturing including responsible research innovation and bioethics. In the second part of the course we will look at how these technologies translate into real world applications which benefit society and impact our everyday lives. This will include input from our industry stakeholders and collaborators working in the pharmaceutical, chemicals and biofuels industries. By the end of this course you will be able to: 1. Understand enzymatic function and catalysis. 2. Explain the technologies and methodologies underpinning systems and synthetic biology. 3. Explain the diversity of synthetic biology application and discuss the different ethical and regulatory/governance challenges involved in this research. 4. Understand the principles and role of bioprocessing and biochemical engineering in industrial biotechnology. 5. Have an informed discussion of the key enabling technologies underpinning research in industrial biotechnology 6. Give examples of industrial biotechnology products and processes and their application in healthcare, agriculture, fine chemicals, energy and the environment....

MK
Mar 5, 2021

Great course. Im a chemical engineering, applying for master's in Chemical Biotechnology. This course really helped in understanding the basics of this amazing field. Thanks guys. Humans are awesome.

JC
Apr 28, 2020

Very informative and very well organised course and it really helped me provide a good insight into the world of Biotechnology, the applications in the health sector and its potential in the future.

501 - 523 of 523 Reviews for Industrial Biotechnology

By Erik W

Mar 22, 2021

Lot of different info was presented, making it informative but less suited to my interests than expected.

Main drawback, however, was that the course material was sometimes quite advanced (i.m.h.o.) while the assessment was really, really easy.

By Tomas T

May 16, 2021

Nice introduction to industrial biotech. The last part focused a bit too much on the therapeutically part "what do the things produced do", when I personally am interested in the production part "how products are produced at scale"

By Paul R N

Apr 20, 2020

The course gives an good overview - the first weeks were not as good as the last part of the course. The presenting style (especially in the first weeks) is quite old fashion. Nevertheless I am happy that I attended this course.

By ZAKIE A

Sep 16, 2020

Se hicieron un poco densos los módulos del medio, como que mucha fórmula química, ejemplos y no mucho más. Está bueno en sí el curso pero podría ser bastante más dinámico

By Anik B

Sep 19, 2020

I think the lecture slides had too much information at the same time. If only the respective line or figure can be shown one at a time, it might be better.

By Atul B

Oct 12, 2021

Some of the concepts were probably much more suited to an experienced practitioner as opposed to someone seeking introduction to principles of biotechnology

By Adrita S T

very informative & technical course...course material can be limited..& i did not get certificate after completing the course

By arev

Great opportunity to learn biotechnology ,it shifted my perspective on biology and chemical science.

By Manisha G

Aug 14, 2020

Some parts are really boring and exhaustive. The narration in some videos is too fast.

By Bhaskar Y

Nov 27, 2020

Interesting content but delivery of content was not engaging and lacked lustre

By adeshina A

Sep 23, 2021

Great!

By Ganeshraj B

Aug 22, 2020

Pursue the course only if it is absolutely critical to your career. The professors have a high level of knowledge doubtlessly, but so many of them just ramble about, stutter continuously, have external disturbances in their audio, use lots of industrial lingo without explaining, or just plainly reading from the presentations.

There is a lot of knowledge to be obtained from this course, but the teaching experience of all but a few professors (Week 3, Week 5) is not up to par with rest of the courses on this platform.

By Antonio T Q

Jul 15, 2020

this course presents a difficulty to be followed in a closer way. I may have a good chemical description of the chemichal process, but as long as this description is not with the draung or picture it is hard to be understood.

We need slides information to be printed along the explanation on the video. That is missing

By 121922301007 g

Jun 19, 2020

Very good course .but after completing the course I am unable to download my certificate tried out in many ways but couldn't download my certificate .

By Kishan K

Jun 16, 2021

little outdated

By Pouria R

Feb 6, 2021

Performance regarding the certificates has been abysmal. The university even cannot show their logos correctly on their certificate and you would see "MANCH" instead of the University of Manchester. After three months of finishing the course, the problem still persists due to the fact that the course organiser doesn't even bother themselves to correct the certificates.

By Mohamad H

I'm a chemical engineer and I felt it is not to follow the course. Details are not explained as it is specified for a certain category of students. I'm interested in the field of bioprocess engineering but this course did not satisfy my expectations.

By Debankita D

Sep 11, 2021

Did not receive any certificate at the end, which was quite unexpected..After taking the assignments, there must be a recognition at least.

By Chakka S

May 22, 2020

I completed my course but not getting certificate

By Prachi D

Sep 27, 2020

I didn't receive my certificate yet

By anoose b .

May 15, 2020

I didn't got my certificate.

By ayush s D