Back to Engineering Project Management: Initiating and Planning

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Engineering Project Management: Initiating and Planning by Rice University

The goal of the course is to give you the tools to initiate a project plan, manage both stakeholders and relationships, organize their team, develop a project charter, and build a business case for a project. By the end of this course you will be able to: - Perform a project assessment using information from previous projects and lessons learned - Identify key deliverables based on business requirements while managing customer expectations - Perform a stakeholder analysis and create a management plan - Analyze and develop a project organization - Create a project charter - Explain the business case for a project and calculate Net Present Value - Inform stakeholders of the charter and ensure all parties know the deliverables and expectations As part of the course, you will prepare organization charts, create a Stakeholder Register, and write a Project Charter based on an engineering project in a provided Case Study. The Stakeholder Register will outline the key parties to the project, their concerns and how you will manage their expectations. Your Project Charter will provide the key guidance your team needs to understand the scope, requirements and purpose for the project. All of this will position you for initiating and planning your first project and/or understanding how you can maximize your contributions on your next project team. Rice Center for Engineering Leadership is a Registered Education Provider through the Project Management Institute (PMI)®. Learners who complete this course on the Certificate track will be awarded 12 hours of Profession Development Units. These are recognized by PMI for continuing education or can be applied toward the 35 hours of education required for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification. PMI and PMP are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc....

SR
Aug 20, 2017

Great course. Would recommend it for engineers who have collected relevant engineering experience and look for whats next in their career. Looking forward to attend the other modules as well.

BM
Aug 28, 2017

Very good course! Dynamic and very well structured. I totally recommend, it provides you notions of all aspects involving the first two stage of project. I look forward doing the other parts.

26 - 50 of 551 Reviews for Engineering Project Management: Initiating and Planning

By Romain P

Nov 26, 2017

Great videos with good examples. The way of teaching is very good. Not too much information. Just the right level of information to well understand the principles. Getting the books is essential to well understand the project management teached by RICE.

By Abdelrhman M M B

Sep 21, 2017

The course is excellent for those starting their way in project management but to gain maximum benefit you should take all 3 courses of this specialization. Thanks alot to the instructors for their effort and for this well organized course.

By Joanna T C

Apr 27, 2020

This course can help any beginner learn the basics of Engineering project management right from scratch. I recommend this course to anyone whose interests are inclined towards management and is an engineer.

By Fazla Z A

Aug 28, 2020

This course will give in-depth knowledge of project management. Peer-graded assignments will help us a lot to think in other ways how others will proceed and learn from their assignments too.

By SOUMAY G

Jul 7, 2020

By Erick O

May 4, 2020

Thanks to the Rice University.

The course was so interesting, i managed to learn a lot on the project management.

I can now prepare charter, stakeholders record,,,,,,,

By Srinivasa S N

Mar 23, 2020

The course is extremely helpful in learning some new concepts and also to recapitulate the learning. I strongly recommend this for my colleagues and friends.

By Siddhant S

Apr 30, 2020

This is a very well structured course with a lot of tests and assignments. I would definitely help this to all budding project managers like myself.

By Lucas B d M

Apr 10, 2020

This course is really good. If you have the opportunity, please try to create the same documents deliverable, using your current project as a base.

By Subham S

Apr 12, 2020

Course was quite practical with a lot of assignments and projects and theoretical content was of high quality provided by Rice University.

By Osama S

Oct 5, 2020

Unprecedented course both teachers are very passionate about their subject.

By Ajit K

May 14, 2020

This course was very helpful.Both the professor were great.

By Dr. S J

Apr 18, 2020

The course has been designed exclusively and I was quite impressed. The course was also easy to follow with step by step practice quizzes that keep you moving. However, one drawback that I faced that in peer review assignments, there are a lot of people who are not yet on the particular level of assignment and once you submit an assignment, the software submits to random peer reviews. This results (mostly) in splitting your grade into two extremes (and that happened to me thrice). This certainly spoils someone's grade. Peer may ruin your work. this need to be tackled on software level. Atleast the assignment should go who has completed the module. Lastly, I thank Mr. Tom Phalen and Mr. Kazimir Kowowski for their utmost dedication to teach this course. I hope the other courses will be much better.

By kausalya

Oct 20, 2020

The course is very good and the fundamentals are laid out clearly making it easier for all levels of learners. I particularly liked the reflections part where we get to learn about and reflect upon the real time project management challenges. The only improvement I would suggest is to make the peer grade assignments more objective. Right now they are very subjective and we have all kinds of learners and we are peer grading documents with little knowledge/experience about the specific project. it's very difficult to get any constructive feedback many times. I believe that giving an answer document along with rubric will help in the peer grading.

By Stefano P

Jul 12, 2020

Very good course, the instructors have a great structure for the lectures even though some topics are not addressed as much as needed. This isn't a problem since they reference books available to increase your knowledge in the topic at hand.

The only problem I had with this course was the peer-reviewed assignments. I had a really bad experience grading some since I had to report them for plagiarism because they uploaded the exact same document as the example or I didn't have anything to grade because they uploaded a blank document. On top of this, when my work was being graded, I did not get any feedback regarding how I could improve it.

By MBo

Jul 25, 2019

Interesting course for project management newbies, but it could be improved with some real life examples to accompany the theory. I liked the format of the video and the presentation style, although the visuals are more distracting and not adding to the experience. Presenters are well articulated and easy to follow. Big thumbs up for the transcripts and subtitles!

On the downside, I'm not particularly impressed by the peer review system. Who are my peers? People like me, who don't really know much about this topic in the first place? How relevant is their grading/feedback? Also, the grading system is fundamentally flawed, in my opinion, as it's focused on the format, and not the content. More than once I found errors in the content, but because it was filled out per the rubrik, I had to give it points.

By Jocelyne F V

Jul 15, 2019

This course nicely explains the concepts applied in project management. It however gives few concrete examples and remains 'theoretical'. It is helpful for someone with some practical experience who wants to learn the formal tools and concepts. Most learnings come from the peer-reviewed assignment and reflection on own experience. It will however probably not be adequate for beginners without professional experience, e.g university students.

By ABIR E

Jun 6, 2020

Thank you for this initiative to allow us to apply the PMP on a case study in detail :taht's really great!

I am looking forward to continue the two courses to apply PMP on the others domain of Project management professional (Risk, resources, scope, time, cost...),

This is the best opportunity to apply my knowledge in PMP as part of a complete case study.

I recommend this course and this specialization to everyone who want to go forward in PMP with

concrete cases!

By Jaykumar N C

Sep 21, 2020

Very good course! Dynamic and very well structured. I totally recommend it provides you with notions of all aspects involving the first two-stage of the project. I look forward to doing the other parts.

Great course. Would recommend it for engineers who have collected relevant engineering experience and look for what's next in their career. Looking forward to attending the other modules as well.

By Nouman A

Jun 30, 2020

This course, I learned a lot about how the project managers play his role in management regarding the organization, material handling, resources available, time, and communication with stakeholders. I think I will apply this knowledge to enhance my management and leadership skills. Thank you so much professors and Coursera for providing me with such a great platform of learning.

By Santiago M P

Very complete course as an introduction for Project Management Body of knowledge, and rises the foundations to take the other two courses with confidence. As a firts experience in the project management field, was a "easy to follow" course that allows to me gain the basis to start to develop a correctly project management plan in the future. Thanks and great job!

By Jad A

Dec 23, 2020

Personally, as an architect who had zero knowledge in project management, this online course taught me so much although this is completely different than my type of work since I'm a designer. I loved the instructors and more importantly, the graphs and visual notes that made it easier and faster to understand the materials of this course.

By Hardik B P

Superb course and those who are planning to build career in project management should take this course. This Course is so well prepared by instructor. Teaching style and final discussion at end of each week is helped me to learn more. I have got worth knowledge from this experts.

Thanks RICE university and instructor of this course!

By Jayant J B

Aug 18, 2020

It's a very good course and every detail of how to manage various phases of project from initiating till the closure of project is explained in very lucid and detailed manner by instructors. And the quizzes and assignment are just awesome to get hands on practice. Indeed I have enjoyed learning from the course thank you.

By Muhammad S K

Jun 23, 2020

Thank you soo much for an amazing platform where I learned new skill and polished my previous skills .The learning environment was superb and assignment and projects give a boost when it come to testing skills. I would recommend this course to everyone who want to start professional career as Project Manager.