Back to Innovation Through Design: Think, Make, Break, Repeat

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Innovation Through Design: Think, Make, Break, Repeat by The University of Sydney

The evolution of design has seen it become a discipline no longer limited to the concerns of a singular, specific domain and develop to become a pathway for solving complex, nonlinear problems. Design is becoming a capability-enhancing skill, equipping people with the ability to deal with uncertainty, complexity and failure. In this course, we demonstrate how you can use design as a way of thinking to provide strategic and innovative advantage within your profession. Suitable for anyone who is curious about design and translating the processes and tools of design thinking into innovative opportunities, over 5 weeks we explore, apply and practice the design process: think, make, break and repeat. Through introducing theoretical concepts and examining industry case studies with leading Australian design firms, we investigate design as learning about the context (the thinking part), building prototypes as tangible representations (the making part) and testing potential solutions (the breaking part). We build on this by showing the productive value of moving through the process quickly and often (the repeating part), to improve ideas and develop new insights. Throughout the course, you will follow us through three of Australia’s most exciting design offices and learn from practicing designers and leaders in design. This insight into industry will enable you to develop a comprehensive understanding of design and the role it can and does play within the innovation landscape. You will leave this course with a set of practical tools and techniques to apply to situations within your own professional context, to translate problems into opportunities and solutions, and ultimately to innovate through design....

LL
Nov 7, 2020

Great overview of the design innovation process! The content is up-to-date and the professors really go above and beyond to make the course feel like a regular university course as much as possible.

AS
Feb 14, 2020

a light introduction to design thinking. not too taxing. easy to understand concepts with some practical applications tested. good stepping stone to more rigorous and testing design thinking courses

1 - 25 of 130 Reviews for Innovation Through Design: Think, Make, Break, Repeat

By Jennifer B

Aug 31, 2018

Good beginner course. But if you have the basics of design thinking, this might be too simple for you.

By Laure M

Jul 7, 2019

Amazing lecture.For a newbie in the entire methodology of design for innovation, listening to the professionals explaining the steps they take to help create/improve the services and products each one of us uses was a game changer for me.They are passionate, extremely humble, and they make a difference.Because of them, because of the way this course was structured, I am commited to continue learning, while at the same time collecting data in my fields of interest,brainstorming ideas, prototyping and delivering improved processes.Many thanks.laure

By RANJITH S

Jul 6, 2020

This course has absolutely been a different experience as a designer to look at things in a different aspect in to the day to day activities of life.Myself a professional artist and an aspiring interior designer with knowledge in product designing helped me get clear ideas and I have learnt that failure in a design would help me learn much more than a successful design. This course has been structured in a really fun learning manner making it more interesting to proceed further and a lot more to learn. Thanks for this wonderful learning experience.

By Jue ( X

Jun 9, 2020

A very well structured and systematic short course on design thinking and processes. It's highly recommended for not just beginners to the design field but also learners who already have some experiences in developing design solutions to gain better reflection and in-depth thinking.

By Rohit A

Apr 28, 2020

I really like this course.i had learned many thing.this course will help me in my entire life.the design process they explained is amazing and very practical.

By Muhammad A U

Jan 6, 2020

A very well-structured course. I would recommend this course to everyone studying anything as he/she will surely get something out of this course.

By Seyed S

Jan 1, 2021

Overall a good experience through coursera learning platform . The contents of the course are insightful and highly relevant to the subject taught.A wonderful course for not only to the beginners but also to experts in the field to refresh their knowledge.I strongly believe that the gained knowledge through the course “Innovation Through Design “ could be applied to support my day to day professional activities.

I’m Thankful for the Course instructors including University of Sydney relevant staff and Coursera for providing an opportunity to learn in a Tending topic on INNOVATION through Design

Well done ! keep it up!

Best Wishes

Seyed Shahmy

By Anirudh K

Oct 19, 2019

I used to assume designing things was a simple & easy thing to do it's only while I was doing this course that I discovered all the step & thought process that goes in to make a design for any ordinary object.

This course opened my eyes & gave me a wider perspective of the design industry. I learned alot & nothing in this course was useless, the course was full of useful information & examples that made learning fun & interesting.

Overall, this is an excellent course!

By Bala S

Jan 3, 2021

This is a difficult subject to master and requires quite a bit of focus and concentration to pass all five modules and complete a peer reviewed asssignment. However, it is worth completion putting in all the time necessary to earn thecertificate. It is a skill that might be of value for anyone to obtain and practice.

By Hakim Z A

Nov 7, 2020

The course is not that heavy. It consider to be light. However the content, material and lectures really emphasize the Design model, Think, Make, Break and Repeat. It clearly explain the model, and make you understand the concept and its implementation. To me, the course meet it purpose. Thank you.

By Niña S

Sep 28, 2020

Explained simply that even a non-designer, such as myself, is able to grasp the concept easily. There are also great examples and testimonials from from people on the industry who actually applies the concept being discussed. This proves that it is not only a theory but is an actual application.

By Mahmoud A

Thank you for teaching us how to study the smart way. your method works. my mind about design has improved, not only in my job also in any situation I was in! The time you have invested in us will change the course of our life. Thank you. I hope one day meet you in person to thank you.

By Lew T T

Jun 1, 2020

It is an interesting course that is applicable in your creative career regardless you are a designer or not. The course outlines are very interesting and shows a lot of industry experts experiences and sharing how correctly apply to your designs through think, make, break and repeat.

By Ivan D

Dec 11, 2020

Firstly the course was extremely valuable and informative (to say the least). I am definitely going to take all that I have learned and practice the same in my life.

What I felt really important was that, it is completely okay to fail. To embrace failure is to succeed!

By Alexandre B

May 13, 2020

Precise overview of the called Design Thinking philosophy and tools to exploit innovative solution generations with a human-centric design. Teachers have also a strong practical focus, taking a walk to the local Australian Design Industry.

By John L V

Sep 5, 2019

This course has a huge amount of content in it. So much to learn to change your perspective as a designer, it also allows you to interact with other learners and see different kinds of design around the world from their researches.

By Suz E

Jan 13, 2021

Thank you all!!!!! This has given me a super head start into this new field. I truly appreciate that this course was FREE ! And you all are excellent speakers, the camera is taken by you.

And now I have so many books to read!

By Pablo A T

Nov 2, 2020

Me gustó mucho el curso. Hay que trabajar en algunas traducciones y palabras técnicas. El sistema con Coursera es muy bueno. Los videos y las lecturas son valiosas aunque algunas ya no están disponibles. Felicidades¡

By S S k

Jul 21, 2020

The course contents are more useful for the design innovators. The approach and flexibility of the course was very good. Definitely this course will help us to innovate a new product in the perspective of customer.

By Fulgencio S B

Sep 8, 2020

Es un excelente curso para despertar el interés hacia un área muy importante como la es el diseño. Me encanto la perspectiva con la que se toma este tema en el curso, sinceramente estoy encantado con el!

By Lindsey

Nov 8, 2020

By Alastair S

Feb 15, 2020

By Alfonso P

Jun 8, 2020

This is an awesome course for beginners on the subject. The material is clear and concise, the reading material is interesting and the instructors go right to the point, which is always appreciated

By Laurent C

Apr 18, 2020

Amazing course with a lot of pro's advices. Of course, it's well designed !

With this course, you will be able to apply this design strategy to all type of discipline and to your daily thinking.

By Yash D

May 14, 2020

Wonderful course for newbies getting into the designing world. I will surely recommend this course to every designer on platform to make it a part of their learning journey. Thank You