Back to Instructional Design Foundations and Applications

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Instructional Design Foundations and Applications by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

4.1

This course, Instructional Design Foundations, introduces learners to the conceptual and theoretical foundations of instructional design as well as the analysis aspect of instructional systems design in order to create an innovative instructional solution to performance problems in organizations. This particular course also introduces learners to concepts covered in the Instructional Design MasterTrack Certificate. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: ●Describe the major concepts of instructional systems design ●Describe the major learning and instructional theories ●Describe the process of instructional design and instructional design models ●Describe various analysis activities for instructional design...

GS
Apr 15, 2021

Very clear course, provides definitions and/or discussion of terms that at are useful for a clearer understanding of the ID process. Good continuity between topics and good use of diagrams.

JT
Jul 4, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. It is well taught and well organised. The material provided a thorough overview of the field, and the readings were particularly fascinating and helpful.

101 - 125 of 156 Reviews for Instructional Design Foundations and Applications

By Guillemette E

Feb 24, 2020

Good introduction to the Instructional Design field... BUT ironically, for an online class about instructional design, I don't think it's efficiently designed : quizzes don't allow to see answers which doesn't leave room for more learning, one of the instructors made me want to fall asleep with his monotonous voice and the way he would just name abstract concepts without any clear explanation, and in general the lack of real-life references to bring theory and practice together.

I did learn a lot but I was expecting more!

By Matthew H

Jul 29, 2020

As a newcomer to Instructional Design, I got a long drink from the firehose of this field. It is vast. I think the course did a reasonable job of conveying the concepts. But the quizzes, though convenient for a MOOC, are easily gamed and not the best way to help learners gain mastery of the course materials. Getting feedback on written assignments exclusively from student peers is not that helpful and most likely a poor substitute for the expertise of certified Instructional Design professors.

By Ana P S F

Oct 7, 2019

It was a good course. Content is interesting for anyone who wants to start understanding how IDs work and what their concerns are. I did not like the long videos. I also didn't like the teachers with a monotonic tone of voice, same position, same layout, same colors on slides ... In this sense, video typescripts were very helpful. Quiz 3 deserves a review, there are questions that can be better elaborated. I appreciate the opportunity offered by UofI.

By Geetha P G

Jun 7, 2021

The course provided a clear overview of the field of ID. The learning material wall well-organized and assignments served the purpose of gauging learner comprehension of the content. The additional readings were very insightful. One thing that could have been better is the way quizzes were phrased. The ambiguous phrasing of some questions/distracters was off-putting, especially this being an ID course.

By Judith B

Jan 3, 2021

Very thorough course that provides an excellent foundation in Instructional Design. I did not give 5 stars because the assessment quizzes need to be modified to capture requisite understanding of content in a more holistic way. However, the written assignments and peer reviews are an excellent assessment design and helpful tools for students to engage with each other's perspectives.

By Scott C

Aug 31, 2020

The course provides good base-level information about Instructional Design. That said, the quizzes for each module are overly complicated, not focusing on core knowledge, and the correct responses are never revealed. Some of the instructors are also very 'dry' and 'boring'. This is a decent choice to gain entry-level knowledge in one place though. Good luck.

By Soumya

Jan 20, 2020

The course by itself is pretty good but as for the quiz on the last week (Week 4), questions 3 & 8 could use some tweaking. Or the answers provided by the learner in quiz could be made visible after completion of the quiz so the learner doesn't have to go through multiple attempts in order to find the same two answers over and over again

By Laura V

Mar 31, 2020

I think it is a very interesting course that gives the learner fundamental information on Instructional Design. The material is comprehensive. Yet, I believe that some concepts could use more examples to be fully understood. Also, as far as quizzes are concerned, i suggest you provide learners with feedback. Thanks !

By Sandra J

Oct 11, 2020

There was a lot of information packed in this study. It did not cover what I thought it was going to be about, but it was good information. The quizzes were difficult and I would suggest having a quiz after each video to ensure immediate application and understanding of the lesson presented.

By Painter P

May 3, 2021

Nice lesson focus on ADDIE's Analysis. I love the last part which is a real ID's working experiences. But, some quiz questions and answers are confused, because they are not the same as the instructions said. Please check and modified by the course discussion part.

By Simone C

May 12, 2021

I liked the course very much, especially the pedagogical aspects that were revisited in a very clear and organised way. The only thing I believe could be better is the content module ratio. I founde the third modulo too dense, with too much information to digest.

By Nigele A

Oct 26, 2020

Course is well organized. I am a practitioner and true enough, the course heavily focused on its foundations and applications thus I will highly recommend this course for novice and seasoned Instructional Designers and Learning and Development Practitioners.

By Liudmila S

Aug 3, 2020

Overall, I liked the course and I enjoyed the most videos about Instructional Design in a higher educational institution!

However, some of the quizzes were very confusing and I did not like "Please, select all that apply" questions at all.

By Cassandra C

Mar 24, 2021

I found this course to be very enlightening though somewhat challenging for me. I believe as I continue to review lecture notes and additional course readings, my confidence will increase.

By eleni t

May 7, 2020

the subject is really interesting but a bit too theoretical. Some of the videos were really hard to follow due to the tone of the speaker. Overall great for fistcomers in the field

By Megan L

Mar 15, 2021

I think sometimes the assessments (quizzes) were too specific on language so if you understood the concept, sometimes the way it was said was so specific it made it incorrect.

By Nguyen H M

Apr 14, 2021

Only include the first step of instructional design. The videos mostly provides the theories, there is not a lot of examples (how to apply the theories in real world)

By Glorizeth A

Jan 11, 2020

It's interesting and I have learnt a lot. I would be great if a couple of videos could be more dynamic, sometimes the voice and facial language were really boring.

By Marcelo E

Jul 26, 2020

Content is excellent and the way it is presented as well. The writing assignments contributed to my understanding and development, but the quizzes did not.

By Kathleen D

Mar 20, 2021

This was a great introduction to Instructional Design. The pace was good, and the activities helped to exercise the concepts discussed.

By Samraj j

Nov 4, 2020

excellent teaching and course content and materiel available. Can do a bit less on the lecture in some videos.

By Магнитская А

Apr 22, 2020

Well-structured, in-depth, serious material, great help with building foundations in Instructional Design.

By Linda O

I learnt a lot. Maybe if there can be workbooks or templates that can make it more practical.

By Jady A

May 12, 2021

Good information. However, I would like to get insights into something more practical.

By Stephen G

Oct 26, 2020

Very good introductory content to build a foundation to begin Instructional Design.