Back to Intellectual Humility: Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Intellectual Humility: Theory by The University of Edinburgh

Faced with difficult questions people often tend to dismiss and marginalize dissent. Political and moral disagreements can be incredibly polarizing, and sometimes even dangerous. And whether it’s Christian fundamentalism, Islamic extremism, or militant atheism, religious dialogue remains tinted by arrogance, dogma, and ignorance. The world needs more people who are sensitive to reasons both for and against their beliefs, and are willing to consider the possibility that their political, religious and moral beliefs might be mistaken. The world needs more intellectual humility. But what is intellectual humility, anyway? And why do people seem so drawn toward intellectual arrogance? Psychologists, philosophers, theologians, and educationalists are now suggesting some answers. In this course we try to define intellectual humility and intellectual virtues in general, and ask how we know who is humble. All lectures are delivered by leading specialists, and the course is organised around a number of interesting readings and practical assignments which will help you address issues related to humility in your daily life. This course is a part of a series which explores the theory, the science and the applied issues surrounding intellectual humility (the latter two coming in June and November 2017). Completing all three courses will give you a broader understanding of this fascinating topic. Look for: • Intellectual Humility: Science - https://www.coursera.org/learn/intellectual-humility-science • Intellectual Humility: Practice - https://www.coursera.org/learn/intellectual-humility-practice You can also follow us on twitter: @EdiPhilOnline and #IHMOOC...

GL
Jun 3, 2020

Intellectual Humility: Theory is an important course for any leader or person who wishes to increase their awareness in a changing world and to understand the importance of awareness and knowledge.

CT
Jun 30, 2020

This really motivated me to consciously practice intellectual humility. I would definetely recommend this course to whoever may want to open their mind and get a bigger picture of the world.

26 - 50 of 88 Reviews for Intellectual Humility: Theory

By Chinami O

Aug 12, 2019

This course has given me an opportunity to reflect myself as well as others. Highly recommended if you are interested in communication.

By Diego B

Jan 20, 2017

Excelente curso, debemos lograr que cada día sean más los humildes intelectuales, de esa manera cambiaremos nuestro mundo.

By Peter C

Oct 24, 2017

I think this is a course for our time. Given the lack of civil engagement and thoughtful expressions of opinion.

By Calvin J K

Aug 21, 2020

Well-done! Very important course to have for anyone wanting to pursue the academic stream of their career!

By Sabīne

Jan 3, 2017

This course was quite informative and pleasurable. The short format perfectly fit the scope of the topic.

By Sabrina B

Oct 17, 2018

Brilliant course, a plethora of information on offer. Really thought and discussion provoking concepts.

By Darko S

Aug 13, 2017

Useful in every aspect.. for a better and creative livning, with the right understanding of yourself.

By Tatiana M

Mar 13, 2018

Very interesting and well explained course with nice material and plenty of additional readings.

By Wes D S

Aug 16, 2018

I think I learned a bit that I'll keep with me for a long time. Really enjoyed the course. :)

By Nikki J

I really enjoyed this class. I'm going to try and put some of the things I learn in practice.

By Alice J

Feb 16, 2019

Very interesting course, even better if you pair it with the others on Intellectual Humility

By Edi d

Sep 3, 2017

This is one of the most timely courses I have taken. It applies very much to my life.

By Paulo

Dec 23, 2016

Excelente base teórica sobre a humildade intelectual, com aulas, textos e atividades.

By Francos G S A

Jan 14, 2021

first time to encounter such course... am thinking of completing the 3 courses

By Verónica L R R

Feb 19, 2017

Well explained by all instructors, easy to understand and even entertaining.

By PRAJJWAL D

Jul 13, 2020

Great course for those who want to learn deeply into intellectual humility!

By F. A

Aug 20, 2018

a very good introduction to virtue epistemology and cognitive science.

By Narasinga P P

Jul 29, 2020

Fantastic Course. I will complete the Science part also.

Thanks a lot.

By Marilyn S

Sep 6, 2020

awesome learned so much...makes me want to learn more. thank you

By Jay M R

Aug 11, 2019

Great course to get you thinking about your claims to knowledge.

By Raphael G M

Aug 29, 2021

I think everyone needs to learn about intellectual humility.

By Pascal D

Jun 26, 2017

great course. enjoyed the videos and of course the material

By Kam L

Feb 16, 2021

Good over summary of intellectual humility's definition.

By Courtney W

Jan 19, 2017

It was my first Coursera class and I liked it very much.

By Jürgen B

Mar 29, 2020

It's a short course, but very well done and worthwhile.