Back to An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1) by Rice University

This two-part course is designed to help students with very little or no computing background learn the basics of building simple interactive applications. Our language of choice, Python, is an easy-to learn, high-level computer language that is used in many of the computational courses offered on Coursera. To make learning Python easy, we have developed a new browser-based programming environment that makes developing interactive applications in Python simple. These applications will involve windows whose contents are graphical and respond to buttons, the keyboard and the mouse. In part 1 of this course, we will introduce the basic elements of programming (such as expressions, conditionals, and functions) and then use these elements to create simple interactive applications such as a digital stopwatch. Part 1 of this class will culminate in building a version of the classic arcade game "Pong"....

VL

May 29, 2017

The best python course i ever had thanks to the teachers therereally awesome, and the classes are very pleasant. if your aout there trying to start with programming, i definitely recommend this course

GV

Apr 25, 2020

it is really a good, and interesting course offered by coursers. the teaching staff and the proffers exp land in a detailed and understandable way and made the course essay to understand and workout.

76 - 100 of 816 Reviews for An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1)

By SuperAlloy

May 17, 2019

A great introduction course of python programming for beginners. Both the optional practices and the quiz are well designed to help me review what I've learned. I learned a lot and enjoy a lot in the mini-project in each week, though I got stuck many times in debugging the code. And the instructors are humorous, which makes the class more enjoyable.

By Blaise B

Nov 08, 2018

Great course. I started with zero programming experience. But I am gradually building skills that empower me to solve problems. The classroom lectures are aren't too long nor boring. Concepts are explained in a clear and concise manner and you can try them out in real time.

I completed Part I of the course in less than one week. Highly recommend.

By Aaron M

Jan 16, 2018

Really well put together course. I appreciate the effort put into making the course as exciting as possible with the choice of games for assessments and humour. I would like to see colour spelt with the 'u', especially when used as a variable name, but i know this is more a problem in America generally and not just this particular course.

By Virginia B M

Feb 07, 2018

This is more than just a "computer language" class. The student certainly learns quite a lot of the Python language, but the primary emphasis is on solving problems using computers. The fact that the "projects" are games rather than "Hello World!" makes this class much more enjoyable than most introductory computer language courses.

By Ngoc T B N

Oct 19, 2016

It's very exciting course because you learn how to design old-fashioned games and learn Python at the same time. The instructor was very supportive with the questions on the forum. I feel like learning the course on-site, interacting with the professors. Thanks Coursera for the huge financial support to help me hone my coding skills.

By Renee B

Jul 31, 2016

I took this whole series in 2015 and I thought they were excellent. I had a programming background, but hadn't programmed in about 10 years, and i had no experience with Python. I found the material well presented and the homework interesting and non-trivial. It took me generally about 4-5 hours/week for the lectures and assignments.

By Lukas C

Aug 26, 2020

The course content is pretty good, the only con is that sometimes the practice exercises are a bit vague. The Instructors, make accidental mistakes and purposeful in the video, but in the end, they teach what not to do and what not. Overall, the class was great as for me(an 8th grader), it inspired me program more with Python.

By Mark S

Oct 11, 2018

This was a great introductory course to Python. I got a solid understanding of the syntax and basic constructs of the language, and I was able to complete the Pong game using the information in the class. I am interested in learning more about Python and using it for some file manipulation and infrastructure automation!

By Dibyajyoti M

Jun 29, 2018

I used to think this is a very basic course but I was wrong! This is perfect for someone who wants to learn programming and Python at the same time. The "interactive" part is what keeps you hooked to the course till the end. I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Big applauds to all the creators, instructors and mentors.

By Andrea S

Mar 18, 2017

This course has been very engaging since the very beginning, and I have liked the creator's choice to make the students approach Python through games. It would have been even better with a stronger attention on other Python features instead of focusing mainly on SIMPLEGUI. All in all, it's a great course. Thanks!

By Immadi N V S S

Jun 26, 2016

The best course I have ever taken online. FYI this was my first course online too.. A year ago. But till date this is the best course I have ever taken. It taught me valuable programming skills. I was the kid who knew nothing about programming before this course. Now I am taking third part of this Specialization.

By Adam H

Nov 17, 2016

Well put together course, the CodeSkulptor environment makes it very easy to write, troubleshoot, and share code for the projects. The lectures are well done and tackle things in an order that makes it easy to pick up if you're a complete beginner. You can also jump ahead if you already have some experience.

By Kelly Q

Aug 18, 2018

Em, I feel really grateful to have participated in this course. It's quite fun, a little bit challenging yet useful and most importantly gave me great sense of achievement .

I want to express my sincere thanks to Joe, Scott and John who give me this lesson. Thank you a lot and I will join the part 2 soon.

By Ze C

Feb 09, 2017

Recommended to take after taking MIT's intro to python. It's a good course to enhance your basic python skill in a more interesting way. The main programming tasks are based on a simpleGUI developed by Scott so that it would be more clear and visible to show off what we could do using simple python code.

By Luis T

Jan 15, 2019

This course is great, not so complex but it needs dedication. The Rice Teacher's Staff help us students with useful tips and methodology for developing the codes. I enjoyed the interactive games that you could develop by yourself, this is an approach that I value the most. Thanks for this opportunity.

By Colin P

Oct 25, 2017

Different than any other intro programming course I've taken. Learning by working on games makes the class more engaging and fun. The teachers also like to goof around which makes for a relaxed atmosphere. Good class but takes a decent amount of effort to do quizzes, assignments and peer reviews.

By Ruwaa I M

Jan 27, 2018

I liked the way Joe and Scott taught us how to search for the information.

Nice organization of the course.

and the peer-grading is great!

however, I would prefer if we could work with real libraries that we can import to our code elsewhere not only in CodeSkulptor though it's a great platform.

By Danny K

Apr 21, 2017

This was a great introductory course! It was fun, challenging, and fulfilling. It's not particularly easy for beginner programmers (like myself), but the professors do a good job of making the material approachable and palatable. Also, be prepared for some math! Overall: 5/5 :)

By Jordan Z

I went into this course knowing very little about python coding. I found their teaching style to be very accessible and the projects to be both fun and challenging. Even after taking all 7 courses, I still have a lot to learn, but I feel like I gained a lot from this specialization.

By Milos P

Jun 24, 2018

Wow! What a well-done, interesting, and fun course. This turned me on to interactive programming and has inspired me to continue on to the second course. The professors are great and have fine-tuned their pedagogy to make this class accessible to programmers from all walks.

By Filip B

Dec 20, 2017

I cannot really say how good it is for learning Python from scratch because I knew something already, but to me it seems it is just a little bit more difficult than other courses but with great exercises. Examples are really challenging (but not too much) and inspirational.

By Haris M

Sep 07, 2017

This course in my opinion is an introduction to gaming with python. Its a fun course. By making games, not only will you learn python but also the fundamental programming concepts and logic building techniques that you can apply in any other programming language as well.

By Jose D

Sep 28, 2016

Excelente taller para iniciarse sin mayor experiencia e inclusive para aquellos que alguna vez han desarrollado y no lo hacen desde hace mucho tiempo, tal como es mi caso. Altamente recomendado para ampliar las competencias y capacidades de desarrollo de soluciones.

By Megan R

Nov 19, 2016

Great introduction to Python, the dev environment makes me feel as though the lessons may not be 100% transferable but it is a great course for fostering an interest in Python and structured very well to keep learning engaging and challenging but not overwhelming.

By Olivio A C J

Nov 02, 2019

Wonderful course. One of the best courses I have ever taken at Coursera. The activities are very well thought out and well dosed. It starts from the basics and explains everything very well. I recommend it to everyone who wants to learn Python and programming.