Back to An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 2)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 2) by Rice University

This two-part course is designed to help students with very little or no computing background learn the basics of building simple interactive applications. Our language of choice, Python, is an easy-to learn, high-level computer language that is used in many of the computational courses offered on Coursera. To make learning Python easy, we have developed a new browser-based programming environment that makes developing interactive applications in Python simple. These applications will involve windows whose contents are graphical and respond to buttons, the keyboard and the mouse. In part 2 of this course, we will introduce more elements of programming (such as list, dictionaries, and loops) and then use these elements to create games such as Blackjack. Part 1 of this class will culminate in building a version of the classic arcade game "Asteroids". Upon completing this course, you will be able to write small, but interesting Python programs. The next course in the specialization will begin to introduce a more principled approach to writing programs and solving computational problems that will allow you to write larger and more complex programs....

IS
Jun 22, 2016

This course is the best course I have ever taken. It covers all the topics very well. And importantly I love the treat at the end of every week. The ultimate showdown between the two best instructors.

JG
Apr 1, 2020

A very elegant yet fun way to explain python. I have used the skills learned here and build very useful scripts and python-based micro-services in my current company that have enabled many use cases.

26 - 50 of 268 Reviews for An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 2)

By Joshua B

May 30, 2016

I learned a great deal. No shortage of frustration in getting the mini-projects spot on, but that's just the learning curve for (Python) programming. If it wasn't challenging, it wouldn't be so rewarding, and rewarding it has been!

I learned to just never give up, that there's always a way (within reason). Thank you to all the profs at Rice.

Cheers... Joshua B-A

By SuperAlloy

May 17, 2019

A great introduction course of python programming for beginners. Both the optional practices and the quiz are well designed to help me review what I've learned. I learned a lot and enjoy a lot in the mini-project in each week, though I got stuck many times in debugging the code. And the instructors are humorous, which makes the class more enjoyable.

By Ikseon K

Mar 21, 2018

This course is not easy for beginners, but meaningfully challenging. It's worth of challenging and trying. Also, professors try to do their best to deliver the contents as interesting as possible. I fully respect them and thank for their genuine efforts. I love this course and I'd like to recommend others to join. Thanks a lot, professors!

By Song S

May 25, 2019

I like this series of courses as it takes advantage of various mini-projects to help students completely understand concepts. Those mini-projects are not easy, but if you take previous courses, you can finish it after thinking carefully. I have acquired a lot in those courses, thanks everyone who make efforts to perfect those courses.

By Lukas C

Aug 26, 2020

The course content is pretty good, the only con is that sometimes the practice exercises are a bit vague. The Instructors, make accidental mistakes and purposeful in the video, but in the end, they teach what not to do and what not. Overall, the class was great as for me(an 8th grader), it inspired me program more with Python.

By Tamira G

Mar 31, 2018

Great class for beginners. Cool to go from zero to writing short game programmes. Huge confidence boost. The lecturers were great fun, there was a playful atmosphere hat made learning enjoyable. Not very theoretical, but more applied. I would recommend it for people who have never programmed before.

By Filip B

Feb 6, 2018

The course is very good for understanding how games really work and to practice coding with objects. Although I think that it is quite hard for beginners, it is manageable but with many hours. Projects are very interesting and it is very encouraging to create one game each week. :)

By Max B

Feb 17, 2019

Great follow-up to part 1, you don't want to miss the fun projects in part 2. I haven't had much experience from building games and using GUIs, and really learned a lot from this course. Also, CodeSkulptor is great together with the fun and easy-going lectures. Highly recommended!

By Lee

Sep 28, 2018

A very fun and educational course. I could easily connect the theories of the lectures with the applications of building a fully fledged game! I highly recommend this course if you have undertaken Part 1 of the specialisation, or have a basic understanding of python already.

By Daniel K

May 21, 2019

I thought this class was a great learning experience. I would definitely recommend it. The material was presented in an easily-understood manner by the instructors; CodeSkulptor is a great tool for learning Python; and, if you stick with you, you are going to learn a lot.

By 陈妍妤

May 18, 2019

I LOVE this class. Really. It helps me so much, it makes me falling in love with python also.

I never know coding for interactive games before, when thinking for the logic, it maybe a little difficult, but it's challanging!

Thanks for Joe and Scott for this super class!

By Scott P

Jan 13, 2019

Fun class! This was the first course I had taken to learn Python. It is an excellent introduction to programming. It covers event handlers, GUI design, Object Oriented Programming and more. Yes, it is really fun. The material and tools are organized and polished.

By C. P R

Jul 24, 2018

Loved the course and will miss the instructors. They were funny and made the material very accessible. I'd never encountered object oriented programming before and have gained a new appreciation for it! Will certainly be taking more courses offered by Rice.

By Tom S

Jun 11, 2017

The programming assignments are challenging without being too difficult. The most useful Python features are demonstrated and used in many projects, ensuring competence in the language at the end of the course. Be prepared to spend the 4-7 hours recommended.

By Robert_V.

Sep 21, 2016

Very interesting course, with properly selected chapters and a friendly environment and interface.

I did not have any prior experience with Python and i was able to learn a lot in this course and i enjoyed spending this time.

Thank you very much professors!

By Steven K

Oct 3, 2019

Excellent follow up course to part 1 that continues to build a solid foundation of Python programming. Projects were generally really fun to make and even when they were frustrating, it was worth it for the cool pay off of a playable, enjoyable game.

By Bruno G

Sep 18, 2020

The course provides a good mix of simple 2D game physics, working with animations and sprites and overall interaction with simpleGUI module. It is a great course for both beginners and more experienced users unfamiliar with event driven programming.

By Steve K

May 25, 2017

Great course that followed up Part 1 as an introduction to the Python language. I enjoyed the projects and felt I made some big strides in my understanding, and understand object oriented programming better than ever after the final project.

By Rahul S

Oct 15, 2017

This is the best course for the beginners who want to learn how to code in Python. Professors are too good in the way of teaching. They have even invented their own programming tool(CodeSkulptor) for the students to make them learn better.

By Gitesh C

Aug 28, 2017

Excellent delivery of topics ! I did this course back in 2013 when part 1 and 2 was a one single course. I not only learnt python but got an amazing game "Spaceships" to my resume as well. Plus, it was so much fun making that video game.

By Mathieu D

Feb 19, 2019

Had a lot of fun with the final project. The instructors were engaging and did a great job at keeping the lessons accessible to everyone. If you have experience programming in general the course doesn't take too long to complete.

By Zdravka I

Feb 28, 2017

Loved this course, as well as part 1! Loved the instructors! Loved the way they presented the material! That's how it's done!!! Thank you soooooo very much for taking the time to make a fantastic course with the students in mind.

By Giulio V

Sep 6, 2018

Great experience! A very well organized course, well paced, funny and engaging. Codeskulptor is an incredibly useful and portable tool that allows to beginner to experiment Python without installing anything on their computer..

By caterina w

Apr 2, 2019

These guys are Fantastic - I learnt a huge amount from this module, and I'm really grateful for the 'audit access'. The assignments were lots of fun, and the presenters had great charisma on screen - even Mr Wong :) Thank you

By Bill C

Apr 12, 2016

Great course, great instructors, was hard, but the community of learners was fantastic and helped out a lot. Pace is face, be ready to commit time to it. It is really necessary to take Part 1 first, unless you don't need it.