Back to Introduction to International Criminal Law

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to International Criminal Law by Case Western Reserve University

-- About the Course -- From the Nuremberg trial to the case against Saddam Hussein, from the prosecution of Al-Qaeda terrorists to the trial of Somali pirates – no area of law is as important to world peace and security as international criminal law. Taught by one of the world’s leading experts in the field, this course will educate students about the fundamentals of international criminal law and policy. We will explore the contours of international crimes such as genocide, war crimes, terrorism, and piracy. We will examine unique modes of international criminal liability and specialized defenses. And we will delve into the challenges of obtaining custody of the accused and maintaining control of the courtroom. -- Course Syllabus -- This course comprises eight units (or "modules"). Each will include an assigned reading, typically an article or book chapter, as well as a simulation designed to bring the readings to life. I will also offer video lectures on each of the topics, accompanied by slides. In addition, there will be online role-play exercises and debates, enabling the students to share their own insights. The order of class sessions will be: (1) History: From Nuremberg to The Hague (2) International Crimes Part 1: War Crimes, Genocide, Crimes against Humanity, and Torture (3) International Crimes Part 2: Terrorism and Piracy (4) Special modes of liability: command responsibility, co-perpetration, and incitement (5) Special defenses: insanity, obedience to orders, duress, and head of state immunity (6) Gaining custody of the accused: extradition, luring, abduction, and targeted killing (7) Pre-Trial Issues: plea bargaining, self-representation, and exclusion of torture evidence (8) Maintaining control of the courtroom -- Recommended Background -- You don’t have to be a lawyer and there are no prerequisites for this course. However, the course will be conducted at the level expected of advanced undergraduate students. Therefore, for all participants, reading and writing comfortably in English at the undergraduate college level is desirable. -- Suggested Readings -- Students should read the assigned online materials for each unit in advance of the class session. In addition, students are invited to subscribe to “War Crimes Prosecution Watch,” a free bi-weekly e-newsletter that summarizes the latest developments in the field of international criminal law. -- Course Format -- This course is made up of eight content units. Each unit is based on an online reading assignment, a video lecture of about one hour in length, and one or more role play exercises to stimulate on-line discussion. The course also offers in-video enrichment quizzes (ungraded) for each unit, a ten question multiple choice midterm diagnostics exam (ungraded), and a ten question True/False Final Exam. -- FAQ-- How will this course be graded? This course is graded on completion. In order to complete the course each student must: (1) finish each module (or “lesson”); (2) write at least one essay response of 200 words or more for at least one simulation throughout the course; and (3) get a score of 6 out of 10 or better on the Final Exam. What resources will I need for this course? For this course, all you need is an Internet connection, and the time to read and discuss the exciting materials available online. What is the coolest thing about this course? The topics we will be discussing are ripped from the headlines. The topics are often controversial and thought-provoking, and always exciting....

AM
Sep 21, 2020

learned so much from this course, absolutely loved it, and the way the professor taught the lessons showed his experience and his knowledge even for fist timers it would be a great course to opt for.

LS
Oct 24, 2020

Extremely well-organized. Really glad to see how all previous examples and history records were referenced to every topic. Neatly explained topics. Every aspect was discussed and explained in detail.

76 - 100 of 663 Reviews for Introduction to International Criminal Law

By Nor H Y

Sep 26, 2020

With no law background, I almost wreck up my brain learning this. The instructor was so knowledgeable and I really enjoy this course. Really love Criminal Law, and after this course, I gain a better understanding on International Criminal Law.

By Edith N

Sep 17, 2020

i commend this course to every legal person in any international Tribunal all over the world.

be it a Judge, Lawyer, prosecution, Researchers even clerk for effective and efficiency IF, their area of specialty is not international criminal law.

By Susan M

Nov 26, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. The prof was extremely knowledgeable, enthusiastic and presented modern, relevant examples to illustrate different aspects of international criminal law. He's obviously an expert and I am going to read his book!

By Claudia X O R

Jun 16, 2017

Me encanto este curso, aprendí mucho con las lecturas, aunque confieso que me costo mucho porque me tocaba traducir párrafo por párrafo, pero me divertí mucho y lo mejor de todo fueron sin duda los vídeos y las simulaciones, muy recomendado

By Nikolay D

Dec 22, 2019

This is an excellent course which is both highly informative and interactive. Thank you to Michael Scharf for putting together such a formidable introduction to international criminal law. I wish he had taught more courses on Coursera.

By Cristina Z

I just loved it. The content was very interesting and easy to understand (specially for someone that hasn't studied law). Michael Scharf's explanations and real life examples were just perfect. Strongly recommended and I will do more!

By Barbara L A

Apr 17, 2020

I found this course really interesting. Although I did not participate in the simulations, the instructor was excellent and the reading material good. I feel like I really learned a lot about International Criminal Law and the ICC.

By Lance y a

The course was so awesome because i learn so much and specially professor did a great job at making the questions and the discussions.the online simulation is great we critically think and look at the cases that are assigned to us

By Jorge L d A P

Jul 2, 2020

The course is very rich in details about the International Criminal Court. It is more than an introductory course. It is a wonderful source of research for future work. Congratulations, Dr. Michael Scharf e thank you so much.

By Adrian E I G

Jun 7, 2020

Excelente curso! Aprendí mucho sobre la jurisprudencia internacional, el entendimiento de muchas situaciones a la luz del derecho penal internacional y el desarrollo de los juicios criminales internacionales. Muchas gracias!

By Erick P V

Oct 18, 2015

es un curso muy interactivo y con una malla curricular extensa pero digerible, donde el apoyo visual y de las lecturas es en mi opinión saludable en caso de incrementar conocimientos básicos y retoalimentarse de experiencias

By Qi G

Aug 28, 2018

This is a wonderful introductory course for international criminal law!!! There's nothing too complicated so that everyone can understand the course material well. The lecture by Professor Sharf is also very well-organized.

By Steffeny

Sep 5, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. It is a very interesting, engaging, and informative course, accompanied by interesting online simulations for us to demonstrate our understanding of the materials given throughout the course.

By saismriti g

Aug 19, 2020

one of the best courses i have ever taken. the way it was structured, the way it was taught, i cannot believe myself that i have actually learnt this much out of this. A short course, but worth every minute of your time.

By Abg. J L R C

Mar 17, 2019

This course opens the doors for me in the development and advancement of my professional career. It is at the forefront of international standards in the area of higher education. Thank you very much for the opportunity.

By Vihaa M

Sep 9, 2020

An extremely informative course. The professor has explained the topic very well and in depth. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in learning the basics of international criminal law.

By Vanshika S

Thank you to respected instructor for clearly and concisely elucidating the various aspects of international criminal law. The content and material provided was academically rich. This was a wonderful course by CWRU.

By PRAKHAR J

Sep 17, 2020

My experience for this course was excellent. It was one of the best courses I've ever had at COURSERA. A special thanks to Prof. Michael Schwarf for teaching this good.....He is an excellent mentor to work under.

By Sarah N

Apr 27, 2019

This course answers many questions that l had on my mind about the decisions of States. It has enlightened me about the actions of the ICC. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to comprehend international law.

By Brayan M A A

Aug 31, 2020

This course is very intersting, in my university the international criminal law is not developmented however this course and its excelent teacher helped me to undertand this issue in a practical and dinamic way.

By ASHWINI M

Apr 24, 2020

It was an amazing platform to learn about the history of international criminal along with case law. I had a great time of learning process. Thank you for providing me such a wonderful opportunity of learning😊.

By Aarjav

Aug 3, 2020

I was pretty sceptical taking this course. But Professor Scharf makes the material very interesting. This gave me insights into the working of International Law very comprehensively. Recommended for everybody.

By Manvi M

Oct 2, 2020

Very descriptive, engaging, and interesting. Talks about the most popular cases such as Saddam Hussein's, Osama Bin Laden's trials through analogous films, videos, and pictures to keep the learner intrigued.

By Alexandre P d M S F

Aug 26, 2020

Pretty good course. It not only provides you with a good understanding of the dynamics of international law, but also teaches the student about various historical cases and their political repercussions.

By Adérito T V V

Sep 25, 2020

Foi um curso extraordinário para mim, com conteúdo muito bem elaborado e de fácil percepção. O professor extremamente eficaz e a possibilidade de interagir com colegas foi muito importante e proveitosa.