Back to Introduction to International Criminal Law

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to International Criminal Law by Case Western Reserve University

-- About the Course -- From the Nuremberg trial to the case against Saddam Hussein, from the prosecution of Al-Qaeda terrorists to the trial of Somali pirates – no area of law is as important to world peace and security as international criminal law. Taught by one of the world’s leading experts in the field, this course will educate students about the fundamentals of international criminal law and policy. We will explore the contours of international crimes such as genocide, war crimes, terrorism, and piracy. We will examine unique modes of international criminal liability and specialized defenses. And we will delve into the challenges of obtaining custody of the accused and maintaining control of the courtroom. -- Course Syllabus -- This course comprises eight units (or "modules"). Each will include an assigned reading, typically an article or book chapter, as well as a simulation designed to bring the readings to life. I will also offer video lectures on each of the topics, accompanied by slides. In addition, there will be online role-play exercises and debates, enabling the students to share their own insights. The order of class sessions will be: (1) History: From Nuremberg to The Hague (2) International Crimes Part 1: War Crimes, Genocide, Crimes against Humanity, and Torture (3) International Crimes Part 2: Terrorism and Piracy (4) Special modes of liability: command responsibility, co-perpetration, and incitement (5) Special defenses: insanity, obedience to orders, duress, and head of state immunity (6) Gaining custody of the accused: extradition, luring, abduction, and targeted killing (7) Pre-Trial Issues: plea bargaining, self-representation, and exclusion of torture evidence (8) Maintaining control of the courtroom -- Recommended Background -- You don’t have to be a lawyer and there are no prerequisites for this course. However, the course will be conducted at the level expected of advanced undergraduate students. Therefore, for all participants, reading and writing comfortably in English at the undergraduate college level is desirable. -- Suggested Readings -- Students should read the assigned online materials for each unit in advance of the class session. In addition, students are invited to subscribe to “War Crimes Prosecution Watch,” a free bi-weekly e-newsletter that summarizes the latest developments in the field of international criminal law. -- Course Format -- This course is made up of eight content units. Each unit is based on an online reading assignment, a video lecture of about one hour in length, and one or more role play exercises to stimulate on-line discussion. The course also offers in-video enrichment quizzes (ungraded) for each unit, a ten question multiple choice midterm diagnostics exam (ungraded), and a ten question True/False Final Exam. -- FAQ-- How will this course be graded? This course is graded on completion. In order to complete the course each student must: (1) finish each module (or “lesson”); (2) write at least one essay response of 200 words or more for at least one simulation throughout the course; and (3) get a score of 6 out of 10 or better on the Final Exam. What resources will I need for this course? For this course, all you need is an Internet connection, and the time to read and discuss the exciting materials available online. What is the coolest thing about this course? The topics we will be discussing are ripped from the headlines. The topics are often controversial and thought-provoking, and always exciting....

MK

Apr 11, 2020

The course is very informative and concise, yet it does not leave details that is necessary for nouvelle learners like me, who are interested to delve into understanding International Criminal Law.

RS

Jun 05, 2020

Being a law student one should always expand and widen the knowledge of globally affected issues and international criminal court. this course helps me expand my horizons in international laws.

76 - 100 of 576 Reviews for Introduction to International Criminal Law

By Qi G

Aug 28, 2018

This is a wonderful introductory course for international criminal law!!! There's nothing too complicated so that everyone can understand the course material well. The lecture by Professor Sharf is also very well-organized.

By Steffeny

Sep 05, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. It is a very interesting, engaging, and informative course, accompanied by interesting online simulations for us to demonstrate our understanding of the materials given throughout the course.

By saismriti g

Aug 19, 2020

one of the best courses i have ever taken. the way it was structured, the way it was taught, i cannot believe myself that i have actually learnt this much out of this. A short course, but worth every minute of your time.

By Abg. J L R C

Mar 17, 2019

This course opens the doors for me in the development and advancement of my professional career. It is at the forefront of international standards in the area of higher education. Thank you very much for the opportunity.

By Vihaa M

Sep 09, 2020

An extremely informative course. The professor has explained the topic very well and in depth. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in learning the basics of international criminal law.

By Vanshika S

Thank you to respected instructor for clearly and concisely elucidating the various aspects of international criminal law. The content and material provided was academically rich. This was a wonderful course by CWRU.

By PRAKHAR J

Sep 17, 2020

My experience for this course was excellent. It was one of the best courses I've ever had at COURSERA. A special thanks to Prof. Michael Schwarf for teaching this good.....He is an excellent mentor to work under.

By Sarah N

Apr 27, 2019

This course answers many questions that l had on my mind about the decisions of States. It has enlightened me about the actions of the ICC. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to comprehend international law.

By Brayan M A A

Aug 31, 2020

This course is very intersting, in my university the international criminal law is not developmented however this course and its excelent teacher helped me to undertand this issue in a practical and dinamic way.

By ASHWINI M

Apr 24, 2020

It was an amazing platform to learn about the history of international criminal along with case law. I had a great time of learning process. Thank you for providing me such a wonderful opportunity of learning😊.

By Aarjav

Aug 03, 2020

I was pretty sceptical taking this course. But Professor Scharf makes the material very interesting. This gave me insights into the working of International Law very comprehensively. Recommended for everybody.

By Alexandre P d M S F

Aug 27, 2020

Pretty good course. It not only provides you with a good understanding of the dynamics of international law, but also teaches the student about various historical cases and their political repercussions.

By BOUNELAS K

Aug 15, 2020

Totally interesting and educative! Keeps you alert till the last moment! Enjoyed so much that I did it twice! The combination of teaching, answering questions, making tests turned out to be fascinating!

By cm4ever

Jul 12, 2016

It's amazing, I've learnt so many things and I haven't even completed the course (yet)! As it goes, it becomes more and more interesting, compelling to complete it and, maybe, even go for a certificate.

By Petra R

Jul 21, 2017

Only just started but absolutely loving it. I can't believe how much I have already learned!

Just finished ahead of time, it was GREAT and I really would like to see another one to build up on this one!

By Jade M S

Aug 29, 2020

i learned the importance to exist an international criminal court to judge all theses crimes that can not be just judge in the domestic law, because they affect the whole world with their gravity.

By Juan P J

Jul 24, 2020

It is one of the best courses I have seen, it is excellent, a graduated professor, with great experience and many studies, congratulations, have made the best course in international criminal law.

By Isabella R

Aug 17, 2020

I strongly encourage anyone who might be interested in becoming a lawyer to take this course! I'm a high school student and I am so glad I found out about this amazing course. So grateful!!!

By Eleazar L M A

May 23, 2020

Excelente curso, el guia es uno de los mejores profesores que se pueda tener, el programa muy interesante e instructivo, mucha calidad de verdad, este es un curso que recomiendo ampliamente.

By Raymundo G S

Nov 04, 2017

definitivamente es bueno para los que nos gusta esta materias tiene un empuje en lo personal me jalo pero me falto mas tiempo para una buena calificación pero seguiré adelante y mejorare

By Cecilia O

Jul 06, 2019

Lo mejor que me ha pasado es llegar a ser alumna de este gran profesor y el orgullo de terminar satisfactoriamente el curso, el cuál cuenta con un alto nivel internacional.

Gracias por todo

By Viviana E M M

Sep 04, 2019

Muy buen cruso aprendí derecho penal internacional, litigio internacional y practiqué inglés jurídico, aspectos importantes para el ejercicio de la abogacía enfocada en lo internacional

By Dennys F A M

Oct 19, 2015

Simplemente excelente, tuve algún problema por el idioma en los exámenes, sin embargo es una gran materia que brinda mucho conocimiento en materia penal internacional, muchas gracias.

By elohim

Aug 15, 2018

Thank you for letting us know a little of your knowledge and your patience in answering us with your valuable opinions.I send you a fraternal hug and my eternal recognition.Thank you

By Leidy V C P

Jul 20, 2020

Es un curso demasiado interesante, el profesor es muy claro en todo lo que dice y aporta muchisimo al aprendizaje de un abogado. Las sesiones son dinámicas y las lecturas sencillas.