Back to Introduction to International Criminal Law

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to International Criminal Law by Case Western Reserve University

-- About the Course -- From the Nuremberg trial to the case against Saddam Hussein, from the prosecution of Al-Qaeda terrorists to the trial of Somali pirates – no area of law is as important to world peace and security as international criminal law. Taught by one of the world’s leading experts in the field, this course will educate students about the fundamentals of international criminal law and policy. We will explore the contours of international crimes such as genocide, war crimes, terrorism, and piracy. We will examine unique modes of international criminal liability and specialized defenses. And we will delve into the challenges of obtaining custody of the accused and maintaining control of the courtroom. -- Course Syllabus -- This course comprises eight units (or "modules"). Each will include an assigned reading, typically an article or book chapter, as well as a simulation designed to bring the readings to life. I will also offer video lectures on each of the topics, accompanied by slides. In addition, there will be online role-play exercises and debates, enabling the students to share their own insights. The order of class sessions will be: (1) History: From Nuremberg to The Hague (2) International Crimes Part 1: War Crimes, Genocide, Crimes against Humanity, and Torture (3) International Crimes Part 2: Terrorism and Piracy (4) Special modes of liability: command responsibility, co-perpetration, and incitement (5) Special defenses: insanity, obedience to orders, duress, and head of state immunity (6) Gaining custody of the accused: extradition, luring, abduction, and targeted killing (7) Pre-Trial Issues: plea bargaining, self-representation, and exclusion of torture evidence (8) Maintaining control of the courtroom -- Recommended Background -- You don’t have to be a lawyer and there are no prerequisites for this course. However, the course will be conducted at the level expected of advanced undergraduate students. Therefore, for all participants, reading and writing comfortably in English at the undergraduate college level is desirable. -- Suggested Readings -- Students should read the assigned online materials for each unit in advance of the class session. In addition, students are invited to subscribe to “War Crimes Prosecution Watch,” a free bi-weekly e-newsletter that summarizes the latest developments in the field of international criminal law. -- Course Format -- This course is made up of eight content units. Each unit is based on an online reading assignment, a video lecture of about one hour in length, and one or more role play exercises to stimulate on-line discussion. The course also offers in-video enrichment quizzes (ungraded) for each unit, a ten question multiple choice midterm diagnostics exam (ungraded), and a ten question True/False Final Exam. -- FAQ-- How will this course be graded? This course is graded on completion. In order to complete the course each student must: (1) finish each module (or “lesson”); (2) write at least one essay response of 200 words or more for at least one simulation throughout the course; and (3) get a score of 6 out of 10 or better on the Final Exam. What resources will I need for this course? For this course, all you need is an Internet connection, and the time to read and discuss the exciting materials available online. What is the coolest thing about this course? The topics we will be discussing are ripped from the headlines. The topics are often controversial and thought-provoking, and always exciting....

MK

Apr 11, 2020

The course is very informative and concise, yet it does not leave details that is necessary for nouvelle learners like me, who are interested to delve into understanding International Criminal Law.

RS

Jun 05, 2020

Being a law student one should always expand and widen the knowledge of globally affected issues and international criminal court. this course helps me expand my horizons in international laws.

101 - 125 of 577 Reviews for Introduction to International Criminal Law

By MANUEL R R R

Sep 17, 2020

Un buen curso donde puede aprender tanto lo teórico como practico del derecho internacional penal y de como realizar la interpretación jurídica y de la equivalencia del derecho.

By Melvin D G

Sep 20, 2019

Excelente curso, sería genial que los documentos adjuntos estuviesen en Español, o en su defecto en el idioma oriundo del participante, muchas gracias, por tan excelente curso.

By Juliana A M

Really easy to follow, but the contents was not simplistic and they really added to my knowledge and understanding of the International Judicial System. Would really recommend

By Annesha K G

Nov 15, 2015

This course is flexible & stuffed with huge information which is really helpful to build our knowledge. Thank you very very much for providing this course.

Annesha Kar Gupta

By Мелехина А П

May 16, 2020

It was really interesting and informative course. I learned a lot of new information and of course I have broaden my horizons. Thank you for your efforts and this course.

By LUZ A C P

Dec 19, 2018

Excelente el curso, felicitaciones. agradecería se tradujeran los materiales escritos, las simulaciones y los exámenes y así la evaluación seria un poco mas equilibrada.

By Cleo T

Nov 21, 2016

Very interesting and I enjoyed the manner in which Michael Scharf taught. Additionally, I liked the course because it is very interactive and there is a lot of freedom.

By Mamajonov A

Jul 31, 2020

I have obtained a lot of good knowledge related to International Criminal Law and I am really thankfull for www.coursera.org and of course for Professor Michael Scharf

By Guillermo I A

May 08, 2019

I have taken already different courses of Coursera, and I can assure that this course ir really well developed, with deeply knowledge of both theory and case analysis.

By Abdullahi A A

Jul 30, 2020

just I want to thanks our mentor Micheal shcarf for his tireless efforts to assist the students and stand with them to know more about International criminal law.

By Faisal R

Feb 25, 2020

Course provides real knowledge about the evolution, development, and implementation of International Criminal Law practices which have occurred in the last century

By Fernanda d S

Dec 29, 2019

Um curso incrível. Super didático e de fácil compreensão.

A Instituição Case Western Reserve University esta de parabéns, por disponibilizar esse tipo de curso.

By Aakriti S

Jul 28, 2020

I am very grateful to the instructor. This was a very well planned course which helped me understand all the basic principles of International Criminal Law.

By Omprakash J

This MOOC course is excellent. I loved the way Professor taught the International Criminal Law. I am grateful to him and heart full thanks to the Professor.

By ABOG. Y M A G

Feb 23, 2020

Excellent course, promotes knowledge of international criminal law in addition to initial notions of international law, I am very satisfied with the course.

By Margarito Z

Apr 01, 2019

Muchísimas gracias a todos los maestros y personal que participa en el curso, por compartir sus conocimientos en un curso de Excelencia. Muchísimas gracias.

By shivani a j

Aug 23, 2020

It was a very informative and interesting course.I learned so much by joining this course and very thankful for this,it has enhanced my knowledge so much.

By 19UCMA247

Aug 02, 2020

wonderful course , was very interesting and was explained clearly ,its all thanks to the professor,he made it incredibly easy to understand and analyse.

By Hadisur R

Jun 06, 2020

It was amazing. Before learning these course many topic of criminal law was unknown to me now i understand these topic, specially the nuremberg trial.

By Raquel I L

Muy interesante. El profesor que lo imparte lo hace didáctico y entretenido. Las prácticas son muy interesantes y útiles. Pragmático. Muy recomendable

By michael h

Jan 02, 2018

Extremely interesting even when I didn`t agree with it. Mr Sharf or Sharp as he was once referred to did an excellent job. May the force be with you.

By Efrain Z P

Aug 23, 2020

Un curso donde aprendí aspectos que desconocía respecto a los procesos que se llevan a cabo en cortes internacionales.

Aconsejable para todo público.

By Alex A

Apr 16, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyable, even as a student with no background in law. I very much look forward to beginning my law degree after completing this course.

By Stefan R

Sep 15, 2020

A great course that is well prepared for not being too complicated nor difficult to follow as well as being interesting. Its quite good i must say.

By Shantanu P

Oct 05, 2017

It is one of the nest courses that I have done till now. I will surely recommend it to my colleagues. Thank you so much for this wonderful course.