Back to Internet History, Technology, and Security

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Internet History, Technology, and Security by University of Michigan

The impact of technology and networks on our lives, culture, and society continues to increase. The very fact that you can take this course from anywhere in the world requires a technological infrastructure that was designed, engineered, and built over the past sixty years. To function in an information-centric world, we need to understand the workings of network technology. This course will open up the Internet and show you how it was created, who created it and how it works. Along the way we will meet many of the innovators who developed the Internet and Web technologies that we use today. What You Will Learn: After this course you will not take the Internet and Web for granted. You will be better informed about important technological issues currently facing society. You will realize that the Internet and Web are spaces for innovation and you will get a better understanding of how you might fit into that innovation. If you get excited about the material in this course, it is a great lead-in to taking a course in Web design, Web development, programming, or even network administration. At a minimum, you will be a much wiser network citizen....

TR
Aug 11, 2020

This course was awesome. A combination of the history, sociology and practical architectural / implementation elements of modern digital and internet technology. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks Chuck!

SB
Jan 6, 2016

This is an extremely important course. I would love to see it taught in high schools or in the first year of university. We should all understand how the Internet was developed and how it functions.

101 - 125 of 616 Reviews for Internet History, Technology, and Security

By Ameerah R A M A

Mar 20, 2020

I learned many new things about IT from this course. The course is very informative and the instructor Dr. chuck maid it fun and easy to understand. Thanks you for your efforts dr. Chuck and hope to take more courses with you.

By Qingyuan M L

Nov 26, 2016

Loved learning about the history of internet, how it evolved, and the culture of the groups that developed it! Security chapters were so much fun where we got to practice decryption and encryption. Eddie the cat was cute too!

By Jim R

Oct 11, 2015

Fascinating course about how the internet developed and how security works. Seeing interviews with some of the prime movers and developers in this field was particularly rewarding. The encryption exercises were great fun too.

By Michael W M

Oct 3, 2016

Dr. Chuck is a wonderful teacher. His delivery is superlative. Love the choice of videos too. They really add to the experience. I bought the course book and found it to be very helpful. Thank you Dr. Chuck and Go Blue!

By Liz B

Feb 6, 2017

Super interesting, particularly as got into the internet in during some of this era, felt like time travel. Especially appreciated the interviews with the web /security pioneers, brings the topic to life. Thanks Dr Chuck!

By Sivakumar.P

Aug 18, 2015

The broad range of topics covered for this course aligned to the topic is excellent. This is useful to get a broad and in depth idea on not only on History of Internet but also of the computing industry. Thanks for that.

By Ajdin S

May 24, 2021

This course gives a lot of information on the history of computers and technology in general. It's a great course and the professor is truly amazing. He is a great guy and also manages to explain things in the best way.

By Vadim Y

Mar 2, 2017

Interesting material presented in a captivating way. There are a lot of interviews with people who were involved in designing and implementing the technologies that constitute the modern internet. Highly recommend.

By Mirza G

Jun 12, 2018

Great course from a non-techie's perspective. I am a lawyer working with IT related issues, and this course is a must have! Dr.Chuck is amazing and I really feel it is worth the effort. I recommend this to everyone!

By Imran H

Jan 25, 2021

One of the best course on Internet History. I could have never imagined that there are so many things about how the internet started and how it operates. Thanks Dr.Chuck and the entire team for making this course.

By Nailya K

Apr 1, 2018

It's a great course, it really helps to better understand how the Internet works inside. I'm happy that I had an opportunity to pass this course and thanks to Dr. Chuck new knowledge was easy to get and it was fun

By Md S R

Apr 11, 2021

Initially, I thought it's gonna be boring and nothing much to learn. But at the end of the course, I recommended this to quite a few of my colleagues and friends. I would recommend you too. Excellent course.

By Bruce M

Dec 18, 2020

It was a good introductory course in computing and communication and how it was foundational in developing the Internet we know today. The concepts are fairly easy to digest and the testing is to mastery.

By Eduard S

Jun 23, 2017

Excellent course! I love the interviews. Also, I think it's a great structure of going through the internet layer multiple times, first with a historic perspective, then with a more technical perspective.

By Ryan B

Apr 28, 2016

This was a wonderful course, fast-paced and a ton of interesting history. I'm very glad that I took it. If you're at all interested in how we've gotten to the place we're at, I definitely recommend this.

By Ellen L

Oct 20, 2017

Extremely helpful in learning the foundations of the Internet we have today. I highly recommend to anyone founding a startup, it is essential to know where we started. Entertaining professor, Dr. Chuck.

By Marco R A G

Aug 22, 2015

Very good content, explains in a simple way technical things, making far easier to understand everything, it's also fun because it shows the history from the eyes of people that actually made it happen.

By Sarang K

Aug 17, 2015

It is a really good course which tells us about the history of technologies that we use now as well the technologies used behind them. Meeting with geniuses who helped create the technologies is a bonus

By Martha J J

Mar 30, 2020

This course was informative, challenging and fun. It’s a great overview of computer history, technology and security. I specially enjoyed the various interviews throughout the course. Thanks Dr. Chuck!

By Hugo A L

Jun 8, 2017

The content covered in the course was of extreme value even with the Bachelor's degree course I own the content discussed was new and the knowledge acquired will be used in the present and future.

By Carlos E V V

Jun 25, 2020

This is the course you have to take to learn the basics of networking and to learn the history of Internet and the web from their creators. It is one of the best courses I have taken in Coursera.

By Elvira

Apr 30, 2017

Dr. Chuck is always a pleasure to listen to. Also, it's amazing that he actually got to experience all those monumental milestones in his life, by being in the right place at the right age.

By Luis A S A

Sep 2, 2015

Very interesting, full of interesting people as well, Dr. Chuck conducts you to a unknown world of the History of the Internet interviewing not just people, but the mere protagonists of it!

By Mohit I

Jun 3, 2016

The video collection in the course is so awesome and is overall so well structured, that once you start watching , you are going to stop only when you are done with the complete course.

By Manuel O A

Sep 25, 2017

Two notorious things a about this course, the fun personality and theaching style of Dr. Charles, and the interviews of experts, and protagonists in the history of internet and security.