Back to Introduction to Chemistry: Reactions and Ratios

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Chemistry: Reactions and Ratios by Duke University

This is an introductory course for students with limited background in chemistry; basic concepts involved in chemical reactions, stoichiometry, the periodic table, periodic trends, nomenclature, and chemical problem solving will be emphasized with the goal of preparing students for further study in chemistry as needed for many science, health, and policy professions....

DP

Feb 06, 2018

Great Beginner Course. There are some parts where there will be frustration, but the forums are helpful. Any type of class involving math and science involves practice and work. Professor is great!

JS

Jul 02, 2019

Excellent introduction. Engaging lectures, clear demonstrations and approachable problem sets. I love that everything for this course works from my phone. THANK YOU FOR OFFERING THIS COURSE!!!!!

1 - 25 of 80 Reviews for Introduction to Chemistry: Reactions and Ratios

By Izabela C

Jul 11, 2019

Excellent course. Although, it was very challenging to me to complete it and I had to repeat some of the videos, I am very happy that I decided to take it. It helped me to repeat my knowledge.

By Jeremhy C

Jun 19, 2017

When I entered this course, I wanted to expand my knowledge on the foundations of Chemistry. This course helped me to do that and much more. Through this course, I was challenged enough that I can confidently walk into a Chemistry classroom and ace the pretest. I recommend this for anyone who is trying to get a degree in anything branched off of Chemistry.

By Manaurwar A

Nov 12, 2018

hemistry is the study of matter and energy and the interaction between them. There are many reasons to study chemistry, even if you aren't pursuing a career in science.

Chemistry is everywhere in the world around you! It's in the food you eat, clothes you wear, water you drink, medicines, air, cleaners... you name it

By Enosakhare O

May 20, 2018

It was a very good course, and I enjoyed it. It was fun, and I think I learnt quite a lot.

By Louie A D B

Jul 23, 2018

There's so much to learn. Thank you Duke University! Thank you Coursera!

By Natasha R

Sep 06, 2018

Brilliant! I would hugely recommend this to anybody who wants to dive into the basic concepts of chemistry. I did not take chemistry beyond GCSE level and this course was perfect for refreshing my basic knowledge and building upon it. Dr Canelas is very engaging and charismatic. She does a fantastic job of breaking down difficult concepts and making them clear and easy to follow. Interesting, challenging and fun! Every week felt a little more in-depth and challenging than the last. I will definitely be taking a look at the Structures and Solutions course.

By Yury P

Jun 12, 2017

I would give the course 4.5 stars if I could. The course is a great introduction into Chemistry and I really enjoyed it. Professor explains non-trivial topics in lovely and easy to digest way during first 4 weeks. However, the course shifts gears in weeks 5 and 6 and I had to watch lectures twice to fully understand concepts. Moreover, to solve advanced problem set for week 6, I had to read about Ksp calculation outside. Apart from this inconvenience, the course and professor are great.

By Vasiliki D M

May 28, 2017

The course was extraordinary. Initially I was overwhelomed by the amount of videos each week had but after all they were perfect for ensuring that the concepts were understood. Professor Canelas is an incredible professor who clearly loves delivering this subject. I thoroughly enjoyed the videos, the homework and everything about this course. I hope she delivers more courses on coursera as I would love to enlist in them. Thank you for this course and for delivering it so masterfully :)

By Sergey S

Aug 06, 2017

Excellent course! Great Prof. Canelas gave understandable, interesting and not boring lectures. I almost entirely forgot chemistry I learned in a high school and I didn't like it, but now I feel I know something and I got interest in discipline - chemistry is exciting)

There were couple minor mistakes in quizes (for example in one case the right answer was "aluminum sulfide" instead of "aluminium sulfide"), but they don't matter much.

By Natalia M

Jun 07, 2017

I took this course to revise some skills I got at my chemistry class in high school over 10 years ago. Thanks to prof. Canelas I figured out that I'm not hopeless at all. I liked the way the course is structured, the topics following one another, the slides, the explanations, and of course little funny jokes - everything was perfect. I really appreciate the sense of humor of the lecturer. Thanks prof. Dorian Canelas and the team!

By Marium G

Nov 28, 2017

I really enjoyed the way Prof. Canelas teaches. This course brushes up some parts of what I have studied in my high school chemistry. No words to thank coursera for providing such a wonderful platform for homemakers like me who want to remain in touch with their subject while staying at home. Looking forward to taking another part of this course Introduction to chemistry - Structures and Solutions with full enthusiasm.

By Liam A

Aug 07, 2018

I found this course to be very helpful. It has helped me to learn a lot about chemistry and has really boosted my confidence around studying. Professor Canelas explains topics in a really effective way, making it easy to understand without having to constantly rewind the video to make sense of it.

10/10 highly recommend for anyone looking to get into chemistry!

By Martine S

Dec 19, 2019

The course was very well presented and with a very limited knowledge of Chemistry I have been able to follow and complete it. The lectures were informative and easy to understand.

Thank you Professor Dorian Canelas who made the course interesting. I was not looking at achieving the Honours course but still enjoyed doing 2 out of the 3 Challenge problems.

By Mackenzie S

Jul 30, 2019

I loved this course so much! It was super helpful, and I feel very prepared for my upcoming chemistry class at school. The instructor was great, and she seemed super nice and she made the course interesting. :) I recommend this course to anyone that wants an overview of chemistry, because I feel like this course did a great job at that. Thank you!

By Raphaël R

Sep 08, 2018

The best way to learn the basics of Chemistry. I studied this course prior to a general course as part of a Physics Degree and it was very helpful. Prof. Canelas' explanations are really easy to follow and gives you a great understanding of the subjects. Plus you won't need a lot of math to go around this course. Basic algebra should be enough.

By Jingyun W

Oct 29, 2019

Very clear logic and easy to understand for beginners. This class will be very helpful for beginners to develop the basic understanding of chemistry definitions, terms and scientific reasoning. For students who have known the basic theory of chemistry, you can consider more difficult courses. I would recommend this course to my students.

By albina d f

Jul 09, 2017

Dorian Canelas is a fantastic teacher, and I like the way she teaches chemistry.

No hurry, step by step, very good lectures

I enjoyed a lot the lessons and the exercises

Dorian Canelas has the big power to explain in a very simple way the concepts and theories

and ask students to try calculations so to find the right ones!!!

By Capucine P

Sep 06, 2018

This course was very helpful for my understanding of biology and physics related content. It is just the right amount of work to learn in seven weeks, although some tests were significantly harder than others and forced me to work more time on. Thank you very much for offering this course!

By Andy Y

Oct 25, 2019

What a great lesson and teacher!! I have learned a lot on this course. Hope to learn from this teacher in other courses. Also, I want to thank the teacher about spending so much time on preparing the knowledge that teach to us. Thanks a lot!!

By Roniel V

Mar 03, 2019

I learned so much about Chemistry! I really did not understand it in high school since I had a first year teacher. But now I know so much. I'm going to buy the text the professor recommended at the beginning of the course.

By David P

Feb 06, 2018

By Jennifer S

Jul 02, 2019

By Muhammad A R

Aug 09, 2019

An exceptional course to revise previous concepts. many a times strengthened my previously vague concepts. The interviews and especially the practical videos were very enlightening.

By Patrick E F

Nov 24, 2016

A very good course to review basic college chemistry, or to prepare for for taking a college course if High School chemistry was taken too long ago. Highly recommended!

By Le B H

Oct 06, 2016

Strongly recommend this to people who lack backgrounds in chemistry or those who want to revisit knowledge they've not come across for a long time. I learnt a lot! :)